PDA

View Full Version : Texas Bluebonnets

Sideshow Bob
22-Jan-2007, 12:03
I’m starting to plan my spring photo trips and one place I would like to go this year is for the Bluebonnets in Texas. Can anyone give me an idea when the best time is (I know wildflowers keep there own schedule)? Where the best locations are? Any websites that track what’s blooming and where? Thanks for any input, I appreciate it very much.

Gale

Brian Vuillemenot
22-Jan-2007, 13:08
I was in Big Bend the first week in March a couple years ago and there were blue bonnets all over the place. Bring fast film, though, as the wind is usually blowing!

william linne
22-Jan-2007, 14:11
http://www.lone-star.net/wildflowers/txdot.html

Sideshow Bob
22-Jan-2007, 14:27
Brian - Thanks for the feedback. Also, I like your website.
William - Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Robert Fisher
22-Jan-2007, 15:15
Bob, speaking from years of experience in pursuit of the "perfect" image here in Texas, the peak season is historically the first week of April. Variables such as locale and RAINFALL (fall and spring) play a significant factor. Considering the amount of rainfall this fall and winter, we (Texas) should have an outstanding season.

My "season" begins late February and lasts for two months. I typically drive 300-700 miles per three day weekend scouting for the perfect spot. A trained "eye" can judge the quantity/quality of blooms weeks in advance.

IMO, the absolute premier area (for a serious photographer) in Texas for capturing bluebonnets is the Texas hill country (roughly a 100 mile radius of Austin).

Please note that IMO most bluebonnet “hotlines” are designed for the general public and point & shoot digital camera photographer. I don’t bother looking at them.

It is not uncommon to see acres and acres of fields covered with bluebonnets. The sight and smell is a real treasure.

Please feel free to email any questions.

Mike Castles
22-Jan-2007, 18:17
Good advice above, they start as early as Feb in area south of San Antonio - check Uvalde area. Will reach Austin area by early to mid-March, look around Bastrop, Smithville up to Brenham (stop by the Blue-Bell ice cream plant for a snack). Hwy 6 from Waco to College Station could be good end of March, as well as Hwy 77 from Waco to Schulenberg. West of Austin look around Marble Falls, Fredricksburg area...DO NOT stay on the main roads, but grab one of the Texas Atlas to find all of those back roads, this is where you will find all of those great vistas with grand old live oaks with fields of bluebonnets, paintbrush, and a lot more wildflowers. There is a wildflower seed company (sorry don't recall the name right now) in the Fredricksburg area. The areas around the LBJ home site, Inks Lake can be pretty nice as well. Then there is the area around Athens to Ennis in North Central Texas that can be good some years. It's a big area to cover, and I would not try..these are some of the ones I have seen over the last 50+ years that CAN be good. Check the Texas Dept. of Transportation (TxDOT), as well as Texas Highways magazine..they always have some info..it's much like catching the good fall colors - it all depends on weather conditions. BTW, this is an El Nino year and they are calling for wetter than normal Feb/Mar so be prepared....but most of all have fun, and bring lots of film.