PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Joshua Tree for Per's workshop?

PViapiano
20-Jan-2007, 16:02
Hi all...

Was wondering how many of you are planning to go to Per Volquartz's free workshop in Joshua Tree next weekend?

Hope to meet some of you there...

Paul

vinny
20-Jan-2007, 19:06
Maybe. I went last year and had a good time.

dyuhas
20-Jan-2007, 19:25
I am. This will be my first time. I don't really know what to expect. I am hoping to pick up some tips on view camera technique.

Dave

matthew blais
20-Jan-2007, 20:01
I'll be there Saturday for my third year and last year there was nearly 25 or so.

Per has "activities" slated this year for Saturday with a few demonstrations involved and will soon post the itinerary. I'll prod him to do just that.

Hope to meet some of you.

Geary Lyons
20-Jan-2007, 20:01
Planning to! Missed last year!
Cheers,
Geary

roteague
20-Jan-2007, 21:04
I wanted to, I went to his Oregon 2005 workshop and loved it. But, with family coming for a visit, and another trip to Australia coming up this fall, I just don't have the time right now.

Hugo Zhang
20-Jan-2007, 21:30
I am going on Saturday. Second time in six years.

dneilson
20-Jan-2007, 23:16
I'll be there. Anybody else from Utah? I have room for a passenger.

Capocheny
20-Jan-2007, 23:52
I am. This will be my first time. I don't really know what to expect. I am hoping to pick up some tips on view camera technique.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You'll learn some techniques but you'll really gain by shooting with some of the other participants. It's a great time and Per is a wonderful fellow!

I organized the Vancouver workshop this past summer... wish I could go but it's a really busy time of the year for me. So, sad to say, I can't. :(

I'm going to try and attend the next workshop in Oregon this coming summer... if summer ever comes!

Have a great time!

Cheers

dyuhas
21-Jan-2007, 08:54
Is anyone from the SF Bay Area going? I'd like to share the driving.

Dave

Geary Lyons
21-Jan-2007, 10:29
Dave,
I'm going, but will drive down on Wednesday and return Sunday. I have done the Friday to Sunday "boomerang" and it is no fun!
Cheers,
Geary

PViapiano
21-Jan-2007, 23:42
I'm planning on staying off-site, not camping.

Does anyone know if the park entrances close down completely during certain hours...'cause I want to wake up in the wee hours and drive in for some sunrise shooting.

Will that be possible?

Thanks!

Michael Gordon
22-Jan-2007, 00:08
PViapiano: there are no physical barriers at the entrances.

PViapiano
22-Jan-2007, 00:10
Michael...

Thanks for that info! Much appreciated...

Here's a weather forecast for Joshua Tree (as of Sunday evening Jan 21):

Jan 26 Friday
Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

Jan 27 Saturday
Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the mid 30s.

Jan 28 Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the mid 30s.

roteague
22-Jan-2007, 00:23
Joshua Tree is a great place. It reminds me of Devil's Marbles in Australia's Northern Territory - without the gum trees, of course.

Per Volquartz
23-Jan-2007, 21:09
Joshua Tree Workshop / Gettogether

We are on for this coming weekend!

Be prepared for cool (perhaps cold) nights, and beautiful days.

Winds in Joshua Tree in the morning can be brutal so be sure to bring warm clothing, incl. gloves and hat.

Bring plenty of water, sun screen protection, matches, a plate or two, a mug, eating utensils, a flashlight, and some extra food to share Saturday night...

...AND very important: bring firewood - cut down that dead tree in your front yard - or better, cut down that dead tree in your neighbors front yard - and bring it all!

Bring film - plenty of it! ... AND (also very important) please bring a few samples of your work. This can be mounted prints, transparencies, digital prints.. or if you prefer to make prints on corncobs using liquid emulsion, please bring those as well...

This will be fun, hopefully you will have a great time, learn a lot, get inspired about photography, and meet a bunch of new friends!

Looking forward to seeing you there, either Friday around noon or on Saturday or Sunday!

Per Volquartz

If you need additional info please email me right away so I can help you in any way possible.

See you in Joshua Tree!

volquartz@volquartz.com

dietcookie
24-Jan-2007, 12:46
I'm in San Diego and i'm considering going to this, I e-mailed you last night Per, if you could take a moment to respond to that, i'd appreciate it thanks!

gary892
25-Jan-2007, 00:03
I went to Per's Joshua Tree workshop last year. It was a loosely scheduled workshop and you were free to do what you wanted, within reason.
Based on my experience last year I would recommend the following:

Layer your clothing; It is cold in the morning and warms up in the afternoon and then gets cold again when the sun goes down. Bring a hat and gloves etc...

Bring something to sit on, a folding chair or what ever you want.

Bring a Flashlight with new batteries in it, maybe even some replacement ones as well.

Wear good walking or hiking shoes if you plan on doing much walking.

Bring plenty of water; I believe the guideline is 1 gallon per day per person. I may be a bit short on that so you might want to check Joshua Tree’s website.

Have a map and a compass available just in case.

Have food that is non perishable or bring a cooler if you have foods that need to be kept cool.

Have a first aid kit close by. I cut the palm of my hand last year on a rock and I was able to dress the wound with no problem.

These recommendations of course are my own, your mileage may vary.

Remember this is a Desert area and as such has the usual potentially dangerous features, creatures, and flora.

Last but not least, bring your camera equipment and film etc…

I will be there also.

Have a good time
Gary

Ralph Barker
25-Jan-2007, 07:58
For those who haven't been to JTNP, it's a great place for texture, although the "trees" are somewhat hug-resistant.

Here's an image of two teen Joshuas dancing to the music of the rock band in the background. ;)

gary892
25-Jan-2007, 17:10
Here's an image of two teen Joshuas dancing to the music of the rock band in the background. ;)

Ralph, what is the name of the "Rock" band, The Rolling Stones:D

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Jan-2007, 17:47
For those who haven't been to JTNP, it's a great place for texture, although the "trees" are somewhat hug-resistant.

Forgive me for nit-picking, Ralph, but those are actually Mojave Yuccas and not Joshua Trees in your photograph.