PDA

View Full Version : Buying bellows on ebay

al olson
19-Jan-2007, 18:21
I have two 4x5 cameras that are in need of bellows replacement. I tried the Bostick and Sullivan repair kit, but the repair was not satisfactory. Both of the cameras are in excellent condition and I want to keep them operational. They are:

Linhof IV Technika
Toyo Super Graphic (based on the original Graflex Super Graphic)

I don't wish to pay out $600 to get both of them "rebellowed" and I have located "Buy it nows" on ebay advertising bellows for each of these cameras at $60 each.

The seller, buyitjnow, is in Hong Kong and has a 99.4% rating on 5082 transactions.

I am wondering if anyone on this web site has had experience buying bellows out of Hong Kong and if so, were you satisfied?

The Super Graphic bellows require the embedded wiring to connect the front standard solonoid with the shutter button. The listing does not mention this, but since it is specified as a Super Graphic bellows, this should be included.

I am interested in any opinions regarding this auction, especially if you have been a buyer.

Bob Salomon
19-Jan-2007, 19:49
Our experience is that many of the non Linhof supplied bellows prevent the camera from closing properly.

Your Technika IV was discontinued in the 1960s. That is a long time for a bellows to go. How much do you think a bellows of that quality costs per year of use over its lifetime?

And when was the last time your Technika received a proper CLA since it was made in the 50s or 60s?

KenM
19-Jan-2007, 20:56
I have two 4x5 cameras that are in need of bellows replacement. I tried the Bostick and Sullivan repair kit, but the repair was not satisfactory. Both of the cameras are in excellent condition and I want to keep them operational. They are:

Linhof IV Technika
Toyo Super Graphic (based on the original Graflex Super Graphic)

I don't wish to pay out $600 to get both of them "rebellowed" and I have located "Buy it nows" on ebay advertising bellows for each of these cameras at $60 each.

The seller, buyitjnow, is in Hong Kong and has a 99.4% rating on 5082 transactions.

I am wondering if anyone on this web site has had experience buying bellows out of Hong Kong and if so, were you satisfied?

The Super Graphic bellows require the embedded wiring to connect the front standard solonoid with the shutter button. The listing does not mention this, but since it is specified as a Super Graphic bellows, this should be included.

I am interested in any opinions regarding this auction, especially if you have been a buyer.

Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on the bellows. While you may think you're saving a few $$$, in the long run they'll probably be more expensive. Then again, you may get lucky. Are you willing to take that chance? And, as Bob says, over the lifetime of the bellows, the per year cost is relatively low.

I just purchased a new bellows for my Master Technika from camerabellows.com, based on the many positive recommendations I've read on the 'net. I received them a few days ago, and they were a spot on match for the original bellows on the camera. BTW, as part of getting a new bellows, I sent the camera off for a CLA. This'll probably be the last CLA for many years, since these cameras (if well taken care of) will not require anything beyond basic care for a long, long time.

The bellows cost $120 GBP (with shipping), which works out to about $235 US. Bite the bullet, pay the money, and feel confident that your new bellows will last another 20 years.

eddie
20-Jan-2007, 17:36
check out turner bellows in Rochester NY. they did my 4x5 korona view for like 180$!

eddie

Michael Graves
20-Jan-2007, 21:45
I used camerabellows.com for my Toyo 810M. Less than half what B&H wanted for the Toyo brand and IMO they made a nicer bellows. Fast, too. About 3 weeks from shipping my frames to receiving the completed product.

Brian Ellis
20-Jan-2007, 22:04
"Our experience is that many of the non Linhof supplied bellows prevent the camera from closing properly."

That's been my experience too. I had a bellows made for my Technikardan by a company in Largo, Florida called Flexible Products or something like that. They were a known, reputable company that supplied Clyde Butcher's bellows among others. The camera wouldn't close properly with the new bellows. They were nice about it, offered to replace it for the cost of the materials, but having screwed it up once I didn't think they were likely to get it right the second time.

I've had two bellows replaced by Marflex and both worked perfectly. I have a Master Technika there now getting the bellows replaced. The cost is $300 for the bellows plus $70 for them to install it. I'm not much of a do-it-yourself person so I didn't want to even attempt to install one myself. OTOH, $60 isn't a huge amount of money, you might give it a try on one of your cameras and see how it does, then order a second if the first works out. There's a big difference between $120 and $600.

al olson
24-Jan-2007, 06:01
Thanks Bob and Ken. I have been considering going that route. And thanks, Eddie, for the tip about Turner. I will look into them.

I am as much concerned about getting bellows for the Super Graphic. They need to have the circuit connectors embedded in them to activate the solonoid in the front standard. A couple of months ago I sent an inquiry in to camerabellows.com concerning this requirement. I have not heard back from them so I guess the answer is "NO". If any Super Graphic owners have had experience along this line I would like to hear from you.

My concern about the ebay listings for both the Tech and the Super Graphic is that the photos are identical. That does not provide a lot of confidence that the bellows are actually designed for a specific camera.

As Brian says, I was thinking that this is worth a try at $60. Not a big loss if it does not work out. And a big saving if it does. I was hoping to find someone else on this site who may have had some experience with bellows on ebay.

Juergen Sattler
24-Jan-2007, 06:52
Al, call camerabellows in the UK - they really provide an excellent bellows for your Linhof and it is just as flat as the original from Linhof at a fraction of the price. I have used them numerous times and have never been disappointed. They typically have them in stock and and ship them out the same day you place the order. I even had one overnighted to the US and I did have it in my hands the very next morning.

archivue
25-Jan-2007, 03:28
camerabellows.com !

Rafael Macia
25-Jan-2007, 07:47
Al,

My first post, on what looks to be a wonderful forum ...
Anyway,
regarding bellows. A couple of years ago, I bought in person, in Shanghai,at the Shen Hao, facory store, a bellows.
I have a Master Technika.
I was told the new replacement bellows would work fine. It was about $30, ... there, new.
Long story short;
The front diameter was too big, and the length too short.
I was told many had been installed on Linhofs ....... yeah sure ....

I ended up paying the $300 to have one put on made by Linhof here.

No big harm. $30 .... just a waste of time.
hope this helps

Rafael