PDA

View Full Version : Fabricating / Repurposing a Reducing Back

alec4444
18-Jan-2007, 13:24
Hey Guys! I've seen a few 11x14 to 8x10 reducing backs on eBay that were from 11x14 deardorffs. I'm wondering if I could use them to fabricate an 11x14 to 8x10 reducing back for my 11x14 Wisner Tech field. Is this as simple as it appears or am I in for a big, awful surprise? It seems like they're about the same size (Wisner may be a hair bigger in the frame) so I was figuring that all I had to do was perhaps move the pins around a bit and make sure the seal is ok between the back and the camera.

Thanks!
--A

C. D. Keth
18-Jan-2007, 13:26
I don't know the specifics but it should be a very easy job. Do you have access/know how to use a tablesaw? Some backs have different overall sizes and different light trap sizes that might require a little snip on a tablesaw. Other than that it's just relocating the pins if needed.

Ash
18-Jan-2007, 13:51
it should be completely possible. Measure the dimensions of the 11x14 back, and measure the reducing back. Also note the shape of the 11x14 so that you can manage a secure fit.

As long as it's light-tight it'll be fine

Ralph Barker
18-Jan-2007, 14:34
Check the dimensions and contour of the light trap on your Wisner, compared to that on the Deardorff. You may need to make an adapter interface to create a good light trap between them, and/or to compensate for dimensional differences.

That's essentially what I did to get a 4x5 reducing back for my 8x10 Tachihara. But, I simply adapted the 8x10-to-4x5 reducing back from my Toyo, rather than making a new 4x5 back. If you go this route, make sure that your corner joints are light tight, too. I used a combination miter/half-lap joint for this purpose.

alec4444
18-Jan-2007, 20:40
Thanks, that sounds encouraging... If anything, the Deardorff back may be a bit smaller (a better way than I phrased it before)... If I can't get it to fit properly, I'm guessing I could remount that hardware on a new board that I've adapted to fit the Wisner light trap.

I have to say, I'm not terribly handy when it comes to these kind of projects, but I'm intrigued by this and I think I've got a good winter project.... If utter failure ensues, I could probably send the parts to Richard Ritter and have him put it together. =)

--A

John Kasaian
19-Jan-2007, 00:33
Find out what brand of scotch the woodshop instructor at your local high school likes to drink and let your imagination be your guide! ;)

Capocheny
19-Jan-2007, 00:34
Thanks, that sounds encouraging... If anything, the Deardorff back may be a bit smaller (a better way than I phrased it before)... If I can't get it to fit properly, I'm guessing I could remount that hardware on a new board that I've adapted to fit the Wisner light trap.

I have to say, I'm not terribly handy when it comes to these kind of projects, but I'm intrigued by this and I think I've got a good winter project.... If utter failure ensues, I could probably send the parts to Richard Ritter and have him put it together. =)

--A

Hi Alec,

If anybody can do it... it'll certainly be Richard Ritter. That's for sure!

Alternatively, take the back to a fine furniture maker and I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll be able to adjust the back to fit your Wisner.

If it's too large... this is easier than going the reverse direction and they'll most likely just cut it down to fit.

Good luck

Cheers

Ralph Barker
19-Jan-2007, 10:01
I would seriously lean toward making an adapter frame, rather than actually modifying the Deardorff back. The modification would ruin the potential down-stream value of the Deardorff back. (The Antiques Road Show bit of "In original pristine condition that would be worth [big bucks], but modified, it's worth $2.")

alec4444
19-Jan-2007, 11:50
Ralph, does this mean I can get the part for it from somewhere else? (If so, where?) Otherwise I'd just be disassembling a Deardorff back and robbing it of parts....and that would be just as horrifying to the Antiques Roadshow appraisers as modifying one. :)

Thanks!
--A