PDA

View Full Version : 150/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S vs Apo-Symmar

Andre_1200
4-Aug-2000, 05:55
My goal is 30x40" Ligthjet prints from 4x5. Could I see any difference if I use brand new 150/5.6 Sironar-S or Symmar? Thank you.

J.T.
4-Aug-2000, 20:28
The Rodenstock has ED glass and a larger image circle than the Schneider. They should be just as sharp and contrasty as each other. The ED glass will allow you to use more of the image circle without fall off. Jeff

Julio Fernandez
8-Aug-2000, 02:38
Choosing a lens because it has ED glass is like choosing a car because of the gold plated ash trays. ED glass razzmatazz is dished out by lens manufacturers in inverse proportion to the performance data they provide. Both Rodenstock and Schneider publish detailed performance specs (including the two lenses questioned in the posting), which tells you precisely what you can expect, the facts only, no marketing gobbledigook. Additionally Schneider, in their web site offers a technical paper to help users understand performance specs. If bottle glass was used in the manufacture of the lens it will show up in the specs and if ED glass was used on a bad or a good formula that will also show. Indeed, ED glass or fluorite or whatever else is no assurance that the formula and its execution are both excellent. Study the technical hard data and make the comparisons on that basis. If the manufacturer does not provide performance data I'd go to manufacturers that do and if such manufacturers do not make the kind of lens I need, I'd be careful Lenses for which no performance specs are provided may be quite good but Id rather rely on Zeisss, Schneiders or Rodenstock sophisticated test equipment than on mine,to find out.