PDA

View Full Version : The New Gitzos Rock

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2007, 14:18
I think I got one of the first new Gitzos -- the GT3540XLS 6x CF -- 4 section, 78" tall.

I just set my Sinar on it and it feels as solid as the giant 1504 I used to have. I swear I could climb this tripod and sit on top, just like Lester Bogen (but I weigh 230# and this tripod is under 5#.)

If you hated the old screw clamp legs the new ones are much nicer and faster too. Very secure.

I've always had metal Gitzos but I can already tell this is going to be even more stable and damp -- less springy. I'm very impressed by it!

Sheldon N
17-Jan-2007, 19:03
The one thing I'm bummed about is that they don't make a three section version in the 3 series that's tall enough. If you choose the GT-3530 it's only 132cm tall without the center column, and I don't believe they are making a GT-3530L version. You have to go for a four section tripod if you want the height.

Glad you like it, I'm sure it will do really well for you.

naturephoto1
17-Jan-2007, 19:07
I saw some of the newest versions of the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods at Photo Plus in NY City in November. The new features were a nice improvement. But, not enough for me to replace my year old 1257LVL 6X tripod that I like very much. :D

Rich

Sal Santamaura
17-Jan-2007, 19:26
The one thing I'm bummed about is that they don't make a three section version in the 3 series that's tall enough. If you choose the GT-3530 it's only 132cm tall without the center column, and I don't believe they are making a GT-3530L version. You have to go for a four section tripod if you want the height...When Frank started this thread I went back to the Gitzo site to research your very concern -- it's mine too.

What I think we want is a GT3530LSV. Specified maximum height is 148cm / 58.3 in., just right for me. Gitzo's page is a bit sketchy, but I think as a video version this comes with a 75mm bowl adapter. Should be easy enough to replace with a flat plate, since the entire series' yokes appear to clamp plates, column assemblies or bowl adapters interchangeably, just as the former Mountaineers did.

B&H lists the GT3530LSV at $649.95 and states they are "Accepting Orders." The Gitzo page doesn't have an image of this tripod yet, so I assume it will take a little longer before we can see one and determine whether my suppositions are correct.

Sheldon N
17-Jan-2007, 19:45
I'll be curious about that as well. Don't the video series of tripods come equipped with spiked feet as well?

Sal Santamaura
17-Jan-2007, 19:57
I'll be curious about that as well. Don't the video series of tripods come equipped with spiked feet as well?The entire 6X series has removable rubber feet that can be replaced with accessory spikes.

Just found this page

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?productid=202

that confirms my guesses and notes that both bowl adapter and flat plate are included at the same price B&H asks. No mention of spikes, so I guess they'll be optional even on video versions.

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2007, 20:17
The one I got -- extra tall 4 section -- works pretty much like a 1325 if you just use the top three sections. I suppose if you were a real weight shaver, having an extra 20 inches of tripod height/weight (? 10-14 oz.?) in reserve would be burdensome, but if you are that persnickety then you probably should be looking at the 2-series anyway.

Of course the extra sections add $100 or so to the cost.

Sheldon N
17-Jan-2007, 20:48
The specs on the NatureScapes site show the new GT-3530LSV being exactly the same height extended and folded as the G1325, so I imagine that tripod is the same layout and dimensions.

The differences appear to be just the upgrades of the new series tripods - the 6x Carbon fiber tubes, replaceable feet, Anti-Rotation legs, G-Lock leg system (20% stiffer?), and a weight capacity rating 15lbs higher than the G1325 despite a 1/2 lb lighter overall weight.

The anti-rotation legs and lighter weight are the most appealing features, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $250 it would cost me to upgrade from my 1325. Food for thought.... :)

Eric James
17-Jan-2007, 21:46
The New Gitzos Rock

A play on words, I suppose:)

I was hoping - for the sake of my budget and new 1348 - that the early reports would be dismal.

Dang.

evan clarke
18-Jan-2007, 06:23
I think I got one of the first new Gitzos -- the GT3540XLS 6x CF -- 4 section, 78" tall.

I just set my Sinar on it and it feels as solid as the giant 1504 I used to have. I swear I could climb this tripod and sit on top, just like Lester Bogen (but I weigh 230# and this tripod is under 5#.)

If you hated the old screw clamp legs the new ones are much nicer and faster too. Very secure.

I've always had metal Gitzos but I can already tell this is going to be even more stable and damp -- less springy. I'm very impressed by it!

Hi,
Who did you purchase it from??...Thanks, Evan Clarke

David A. Goldfarb
18-Jan-2007, 09:09
Sounds excellent. The one thing that I never cared for on the Gitzos was the twist locks. Might be time for an upgrade.

Frank Petronio
18-Jan-2007, 11:15
B&H was the first to have them in stock. Honestly I wanted to puchase them from http://www.naturescapes.net/ but Gitzo probably wanted to supply their larger dealers first. I knew if I didn't jump after having cash in my PayPal acct I would find an excuse not to buy it later on, so it was a calculated impulse buy...

Bruce Watson
18-Jan-2007, 12:29
it was a calculated impulse buy...

Hmmm....

Sheldon N
19-Jan-2007, 21:28
Of course, this is the real reason to get a Gitzo....

Eric James
19-Jan-2007, 21:43
Of course, this is the real reason to get a Gitzo....

Is that you Sheldon? Somehow, I pictured you...taller.

Ed K.
19-Jan-2007, 21:55
You know, the coolest thing about somebody getting such a wonderful tripod is that they then sell their old boat-anchor/tank stopper solid tripod to somebody else who has anticipated its liberation. It's a win-win - the high-tech guy gets the ultimate tripod and the credit card charges, the low tech guy gets something that was once too expensive new but indestructable, plus a free "fitness machine"!

Only downside to the new CF Gitzo aside from cost is that it cannot be recycled very well. The older Gitzo had enough metal to make a new Prius. Thank goodness the local Samys didn't have that new CF Gitzo in stock the last time I looked for a larger tripod - it's cool.

Sheldon N
19-Jan-2007, 22:41
Is that you Sheldon? Somehow, I pictured you...taller.

LOL. :)

Frank Petronio
19-Jan-2007, 22:48
Ed - and it keeps the shipping industry strong when you go to ship the oversized beastie to its new home.

Eric James
20-Jan-2007, 01:22
That's a fun shot Sheldon - especially when you click to enlarge and see the eyeball staring back at you!

Is that the RRS, or the Kirk plate he uses:)

Sheldon N
20-Jan-2007, 08:42
Is that the RRS, or the Kirk plate he uses:)

I was thinking about that this morning. You know, one of those silly little plates costs about 5 times what his camera costs. :)

You can never start too early getting them interested in photography! Of course, I'll probably have to buy myself a GT-3530LSV now that he's commandeered my 1325.

Ralph Barker
20-Jan-2007, 09:17
A fun and endearing photo, Sheldon. The big question is when he'll graduate to a view camera - a Baby Deardorff, perhaps. ;)

C. D. Keth
20-Jan-2007, 12:09
You can never start too early getting them interested in photography! Of course, I'll probably have to buy myself a GT-3530LSV now that he's commandeered my 1325.

So that is what you ahev to tell yourself to get a new tripod. :P

David A. Goldfarb
24-Mar-2007, 05:11
I just got the GT-5540LS (4 section without the extended height) after handling it at PMA, and everything Frank says is true. It's really solid, quick to set up and close down with the improved twist locks, 6 lbs., and vibration damping is excellent (tested with a 35mm camera and my bird lens).

Everything Ed K. says is true, too, so if anyone wants my Bogen 3233 legs and two Leitz Tiltalls, send me a PM.

Jack Flesher
24-Mar-2007, 07:48
Ditto what Frank said. I picked up a 3340 XLS as well a couple of weeks ago and it is great. I don't find it more rigid than my 1325, but the anti-twist legs are a huge upgrade. Also, I am 6'-6" tall so the added set of legs is really nice to have available on the occasions they're needed.

Dave_B
24-Mar-2007, 08:38
I knew if I didn't jump after having cash in my PayPal acct I would find an excuse not to buy it later on, so it was a calculated impulse buy...

Frank:
There was a lot discussion and questions about Gitzo tripods before this "impulse buy" by someone using your name. Your forum account may have been hijacked by a MF person. You should check it out. Never can be too safe.....
Cheers,
Dave B.

Rakesh Malik
26-Mar-2007, 10:27
I'm hoping they'll start shipping soon... I'm currently using a decent Manfrotto magfiber tripod that's only rated at 15 pounds (!), but I have a 6x Gitzo (3530LSV) on order from Badger... who hasn't received it yet :(

Eric James
5-Jun-2007, 17:54
The Greater Alaska Tripods Anonymous Society does not endorse the new Gitzo tripods. They are dangerous in the hands of the recovering tripod addict. They are light; they are more diverse in model options; the new Ground Level Kit feature obviates the need to purchase a short column. Stay away!

By the way, does anyone know how well the 3540L compliments 3540 LS, or should I just ALL THE WAY to the 3530 XLS:D

KenM
6-Jun-2007, 12:52
If it's any consolation, I have the 3540XLS, and am very, very happy with the purchase. Yes, it's expensive, but the first time I photographed on a slope and didn't have to crouch over was enough to put any buyers regret to bed :D

Sheldon N
6-Jun-2007, 19:10
By the way, does anyone know how well the 3540L compliments 3540 LS, or should I just ALL THE WAY to the 3530 XLS:D

I don't think there is a a 3530 XLS, rather you have to go with a 3530 LSV and get the video bowl. I have the 1325 (same dimensions) and a friend has the 3530 LSV. It's the perfect sized tripod, I definitely think the three sections is better than four, and the tripod is a nice improvement from the 1325.

Go for it!

Eric James
6-Jun-2007, 19:25
That was (yet another) typo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475956-REG/Gitzo_GT3540XLS_GT_3540XLS_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html

Mostly it was a joke - poking fun at people like me who want one of each.

As to the three versus four leg choice: In the past I preferred the 4-section pods for their shorter folded length. It's rare that I employ/deploy the spindly thin leg section of my 1228 or 1329 - I usually find myself close to the ground. On the flip side, the four-section pods are heavier and more costly. The new Gitzo options find me leaning toward the three-section pods. It'll be some time before I'm "back on the wagon".

evan clarke
7-Jun-2007, 03:46
I thought I was completey devoted to my 1325 and would never have believed that it could be improved. This 3540XLS has solved all the minor nits, especially the interchangeable feet and the finger tip sensitive leg locks. It is deadly rigid and supports my 8x10 in fine fashion. If I could have spent the money on this as my first tripod, I would have saved all the money I have spent on the other dozen or so I have...EC

Frank Petronio
7-Jun-2007, 06:36
Now if only they could make the perfect HEAD lol

(Although I do like the Linhof 3-D head I found, it is pretty close.)

Rider
9-Jun-2007, 06:40
I might upgrade my 1228 (although it's in perfect condition) if there is a lighter version.

I wonder which one is the replacement for the 1228?

tgtaylor
10-Jun-2007, 08:42
I purchased my first new Gitzo, the G1348 model, about a month ago (and the new Arca-Swiss Z1-sp monoball to go on it), to replace my well-used and abused Manfratto 441 CF (and Gitzo 1275 magnesium BH) and couldn't be more satisified. Before this purchase I had purchased a used and ancient Gitzo Studex w/head for $80 to use while the Manfratto was in for repairs. It weighed a ton hiking up to Ten Lakes in Yosemite Park and I didn't like those little leg locks - you had to fiddle with them too much and could never be really sure that is was locked solid. Well Gitzo (or Manfratto) fixed that. The oversized leg locks unlock and lock securely and quick!! Without the center column (at 5'10" I don't need one unless I plan on using a ladder) the tripod w/head weighs in at about 6lbs - about 1.25 lbs more than the 441w/1275M - but far more stable. No more 'migration' with a heavy MF lens!! My only complaint is that the G1348 doesn't have the reversable feet like the 441 but the legs are so stiff that they probably wouldn't be needed except in some extreme situation.

evan clarke
11-Jun-2007, 03:19
Now if only they could make the perfect HEAD lol

(Although I do like the Linhof 3-D head I found, it is pretty close.)

I have an Arca Cube on mine and it makes a fabulous setup with the Gitzo..EC

Frank Petronio
11-Jun-2007, 05:09
Haha and I thought I went over the top $ with mine ;-)

For me at least, it is wonderful to be free of the tyranny of those darn Arca plates and all of that. I know that is sacreligious to some ears, but the Linhof screw is really solid and it mounts securely. I don't have a lot of cameras to mount plates to and I think it is more solid to eliminate the middle-man in the form of a plate.

I also like heads that won't seaze up with grime. That worries me about the Cube.

Of course I am rationalizing. If I had Evan's Arca collection of course I'd have a Cube, it is the ultimate, especially with an Arca camera.

neil poulsen
11-Jun-2007, 18:45
Gitzo of course, makes great equipment. But, I'll stick with my Bogen 475. I like the ability to independently and variably adjust each each leg.

KenM
12-Jun-2007, 05:37
Gitzo of course, makes great equipment. But, I'll stick with my Bogen 475. I like the ability to independently and variably adjust each each leg.

Huh? Why can't you do that with a Gitzo?

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jun-2007, 05:41
Maybe he means you can adjust the angle of each leg. On my GT5540LS, each leg can be adjusted to one of three different angles, rather than being continuously adjustable. Of course the length of each leg is continuously adjustable.

KenM
12-Jun-2007, 06:08
Ok, that makes sense. The 3540XLS does have the three stops for the leg angle, but the leg hinge is stiff enough that you could variably adjust the angle if you wanted.

Due to that stiffness in the hinge, you can pick up the tripod and move it without having the legs flop around, which is how my Manfrotto tripod behaved - you had to hold the legs when you moved the tripod, which led to fingers getting pinched (ouch!).

Rakesh Malik
12-Jun-2007, 06:54
It would be nice if Gitzo put the Explorer leg locks on more of their tripods.

tom north
15-Jun-2007, 13:11
The Gitzo is nice but the price has always seemed to be too high. I purchased a Manfretto 3 piece, 66.5" tall, 055MF3 carbon fiber tripod (4.4 lbs) the other day for $314. I placed my 5 x 7 Technika on the tripod and it felt rock solid. I did a little test on both the Manfretto and a Gitzo by extending a leg on each, locking them down and bearing my weight on them. I had no problem collapsing in the Gitzo, the Manfretto resisted my weight without a problem.

Tom

Gary Beasley
16-Jun-2007, 20:35
We were just looking at some Gitzo Basalt models. Any opinions on those? We're wanting something light and sturdy for a Bronica to sit on.

evan clarke
18-Jun-2007, 04:06
Haha and I thought I went over the top $ with mine ;-)

For me at least, it is wonderful to be free of the tyranny of those darn Arca plates and all of that. I know that is sacreligious to some ears, but the Linhof screw is really solid and it mounts securely. I don't have a lot of cameras to mount plates to and I think it is more solid to eliminate the middle-man in the form of a plate.

I also like heads that won't seaze up with grime. That worries me about the Cube.

Of course I am rationalizing. If I had Evan's Arca collection of course I'd have a Cube, it is the ultimate, especially with an Arca camera.

I have my Cube mounted on a Bogen Universal plate and keep it stored in my pack. I have been using it now for 1 1/2 years and it has not accumulated any grime and shows no wear. It also works very well with the Arca plates on my Ebony cameras. I don't expose sheets every day, but do go out to photograph every day so the head gets a lot of use, the Cube is tougher than it looks. If I bought this head first, I would have saved money in the long run....EC

KenM
18-Jun-2007, 05:18
Just an FYI, the Arca Cube can be purchased for the low, low, one time price of $1,799.95 from B&H :D

Eric James
2-Jul-2007, 13:37
FYI,

I was shooting with a month-old 2530 at sunrise last SAT when the lower sections got a taste of sand and sea water. These sections no longer move and I'll be sending the thing in for repair (the twist locks won't loosen past the first clutch release). There's something about the G-locks that predisposes this model to locking up - I never had a problem with the old twist lock models. Be very careful in the field if you don't have a backup tripod. You can't take it apart to clean it if you can't take it apart:(

Scott Rosenberg
2-Jul-2007, 13:42
"The New Gitzos Rock..."

maybe that's my problem... my tripods don't rock at all - they are all rather stable.

Eric James
6-Jul-2007, 22:27
FYI,

I was shooting with a month-old 2530 at sunrise last SAT when the lower sections got a taste of sand and sea water. These sections no longer move and I'll be sending the thing in for repair (the twist locks won't loosen past the first clutch release). There's something about the G-locks that predisposes this model to locking up - I never had a problem with the old twist lock models. Be very careful in the field if you don't have a backup tripod. You can't take it apart to clean it if you can't take it apart:(

Hey,

Maybe you should wait 72 hours to let the thing dry out, then try do twist those legs loose - might save you some time and shippin' money.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric James
6-Jul-2007, 22:40
Hey,

Maybe you should wait 72 hours to let the thing dry out, then try do twist those legs loose - might save you some time and shippin' money.

Cheers,
Eric

Worked like a charm. Thanks:)

PS: These new twist lock G-thingies are funky. I had the box and bubble wrap good-to-go to ship this thing back to the source (US) but a bit of procrastination paid off. The offending substance was Turnagain Arm silt and water - this stuff must be some of the best glue going; fortunately is has a short halflife - as the water evaporated the glue was reborn as silt. If your funkified new Gitzo legs lock up I recommend giving them some time to dry before shipping them in for so-called lifetime warranty service. Maybe a hair dryer (if you have one) treatment or an hour in the oven at <200F will speed things along.

Colin Graham
6-Jul-2007, 22:42
Geez Eric you're a regular one man show. ;)