PDA

View Full Version : Developing problems with JOBO 3000 drums.

Stephen Willard
17-Jan-2007, 02:14
I am experiencing uneven development when I develop my 5x7 and 4x10 film using the JOBO 3006 and 3005 drums. I have sections of the film that are lighter than other areas. You can see it in clear skies. The division between on section and the other is a stark line rather then a fading. The 5x7 and 8x10 film do move around inside the tubes unlike the 3010 drum which has ridges to hold 4x5 film in its place in the individual tubes.

Has anyone else had this problem? What might I do to correct it?

Thanks for any considerations.

Jim Noel
17-Jan-2007, 10:12
I don't have the problem, but will try to help.

Are you pushing the film to the bottom of the tube just prior to putting the top on?
Do you pre-soak 5 minutes as suggested by Jobo?

Perhaps one of these will help.

Bruce Watson
17-Jan-2007, 10:16
I am experiencing uneven development when I develop my 5x7 and 4x10 film using the JOBO 3006 and 3005 drums. I have sections of the film that are lighter than other areas. You can see it in clear skies. The division between on section and the other is a stark line rather then a fading. The 5x7 and 8x10 film do move around inside the tubes unlike the 3010 drum which has ridges to hold 4x5 film in its place in the individual tubes.

Drum base leveled? Enough developer to cover?

Stephen Willard
18-Jan-2007, 01:26
Hi Jim and Bruce,

Here is the state of my processing:

1. The drums are slightly out of level.

2. I do not push the film to the bottom. I thought you were only supposed to make the film level with the top of the tubes.

3. Sometimes the film will partially spin out of the tubes.

4. I did increase the volume of chemistry to the next increment and that help a lot, but there is still some 10% of my film that comes out uneven.

5. I do presoak the film.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Remigius
18-Jan-2007, 04:04
How do you move/roll the drums?

Bruce Watson
18-Jan-2007, 06:08
Hi Jim and Bruce,

Here is the state of my processing:

1. The drums are slightly out of level.

Drum has to be level. Else, the developer goes to the low end of the drum. This can result in a lack of coverage for the high end of the film.

Reversing rotation periodically will help -- causes turbulence. Some of this "wave action" will cause developer to travel farther up the high end of the drum. Also, using maximum volume for the drum in question might help.

But really, level the drum.

Stephen Willard
18-Jan-2007, 08:04
Remigius, I use a JOBO ATL 2 Plus processor for developing my film. I use two way agitaion rolling closkwise and then counter clockwise.

Bruce, upon inspection I believe the uneven development occurs on the high side of the tank which is consistent with the chemistry going to the low side of the tank.

Kirk Keyes
18-Jan-2007, 09:18
Push the film all the way down into the tube.

Stephen Willard
19-Jan-2007, 09:35
I would like thank all of you for your comments and considerations. Shortly, I will try some of your suggestions to see whether they correct the problem. I will post my results here when I have solved the problem so that other who experience similar difficulties can learn from this thread.

Thanks again.