PDA

View Full Version : scanning 8x10 negs

domenico Foschi
16-Jan-2007, 11:34
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before,probably it has, in which case it will just be a reminder.
Do not consider this as a high grade scanning procedure, but for those of us who do not own a scanner wich has the capabilities to scan 8x10 transparencies, they can still see what's in the negative by scanning the negative in reflective mode, prior to adjusting the density of the scan with levels or whatever your software allowsand then revert the image in photoshop.
I repeat, this is not good for high grade work, but it's not bad either.
The image attached is a sample.

william linne
16-Jan-2007, 11:36
One thing that kills me is Newton rings. I bought the Microtak i900 specifically because it could scan my 8x10 transparencies. It's great except for one thing...There are f'in Newton rings on ever scan no matter which way I lay the transparency down or if I tape it down. Kind of a shitty design and I wish that their promotional literature had mentioned it or that I had asked before I bought it.

W.

Tri Tran
16-Jan-2007, 11:42
Hi Domenico,
Thanks for sharing.Beautiful Bokeh. What lens did you used? TT

domenico Foschi
16-Jan-2007, 11:45
Hi Domenico,
Thanks for sharing.Beautiful Bokeh. What lens did you used? TT

I am embarassed to say that I do not remember, but it might have been my tele Xenar 500 f 5.5.
Huge lens, but GORGEOUS!

domenico Foschi
16-Jan-2007, 11:46
of course, wide open:)

Tri Tran
16-Jan-2007, 12:01
Ofcourse. No pain..No gain. Thanks again. TT

Michael Mutmansky
16-Jan-2007, 12:16
One thing that kills me is Newton rings. I bought the Microtak i900 specifically because it could scan my 8x10 transparencies. It's great except for one thing...There are f'in Newton rings on ever scan no matter which way I lay the transparency down or if I tape it down. Kind of a shitty design and I wish that their promotional literature had mentioned it or that I had asked before I bought it.

W.

Anti newton spray... Get some from Prazio or one of the many other vendors.

---Michael

william linne
16-Jan-2007, 12:24
Thanks!

Walter Calahan
16-Jan-2007, 12:32
William

I use anti-newton ring glass. No newton rings.

http://fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Place film on scanner base-side down. Put glass over top.

Michael Mutmansky
16-Jan-2007, 13:02
Walter,

That should work as well, and I have used them in the past for AN glass supplies; a good vendor.

I think AN spray will obscure details less than AN glass, so I'm more inclined to go that route. I haven't seen a direct comparison, but based on my recollections of the AN glass, I think this could be an issue. It's far better than newton rings, though, regardless of the solution taken.

---Michael

lutherasmith
16-Jan-2007, 13:08
I made a seperator out of matboard that functions like a negative carrier. I cut a window in the black matboard and strech the film across the opening using slide masking tape. Since the neg is now suspended no newton rings.

I have now moved on to a drum scanner so I don't have to do this anymore.