PDA

View Full Version : Best color slide film for B&W conversion

Andy_5440
16-Jan-2007, 08:51
I'm using fuji quickloads and would like opinions on the best color slide film (Velvia 100, Provia 100F, etc.) if I also want to scan and convert to B&W with Photoshop. Which film would give the better contrast, sharpness, etc. Thanks.

Andy

Capocheny
16-Jan-2007, 09:00
Hi Andy,

I've mostly used Provia and it's always scanned well for me on an Epson 3200... even in conversion to a B&W image via PS.

Cheers

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2007, 09:03
I don't think it matters so much but I would want to capture as much information as possible using a lower contrast, less saturated film -- not the VS or Velvia types. Color neg like Porta NC is even better.

You probably already know this but I don't think you can get away with simply converting modes, you still need to consider the color channels and often boost contrast after the fact. But it is better to have the information and toss a little away than it is not to capture the info.

Kirk Gittings
16-Jan-2007, 09:17
What Frank said: Astia or Pro 160S

Kirk Gittings
16-Jan-2007, 14:13
Is there some reason this thread is posted twice?

Capocheny
16-Jan-2007, 19:29
Is there some reason this thread is posted twice?

Hi Kirk,

LOL... I KNEW I had posted to the thread until I looked. It wasn't there and, lo and behold, here it is! :)

Why was it posted twice?

Easy! Just in case one's mind has changed from the previous thread and this one! :)

Just kidding!! :)

Cheers