PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Photography Books

Michael_527
18-May-2000, 14:00
Hello all,

My bookstores in the neighborhoood have a relatively limited selection of photo books, so I can't browse any on the subject of architectural photography. I am intrested in a book that discusses professional methods, equipment, resources, e tc. with a large format perspective. Can anyone recommend a couple of books? I' ll probably end up getting them from Amazon...

Thanks,

---Michael

Charlie Stracl
18-May-2000, 14:26
The Kodak Large Format Photography is a good basic introduction to using view cameras.

Ansel Adams, The Camera, is another good source. It might be available from your local library.

Trevor Crone
18-May-2000, 15:16
The above books that Charlie has mentioned plus "Photographing Buildings Inside And Out"by Norman McGrath. Regards,Trevor.

David Nash
18-May-2000, 15:31
Hello Michael

I remember seeing a Sinar book on Large Format Architectural Photography, although I can't remember much about it. I think it was first printed about three or four years ago. Your Sinar distributor should be able to help (I think the USA web site is www.sinarbron.com)

Regards

David Nash

neil poulsen
18-May-2000, 16:41
I don't know the bibliographic references, but there is one noteworthy book that is currently available by Ezra Stoller. Check books in print. Another is for photographer Norman McGrath.

neil poulsen
18-May-2000, 16:54
I think I have the name about right, a third is by Julius Schuller. (If memory serves.) View Camera focused on in an article within the last year or so, and it's reasonably priced.

Masayoshi Hayashi
19-May-2000, 05:05
Two books by Micheal Harris: Professional Architectural Photography and Professional Interior Photography, both 2nd editions.

TAN K H
19-May-2000, 14:05
As someone else has already mentioned, Norman McGrath's "Photographing Buildings Inside & Out" is what you would want. Excellent book filled with good technical explanations from equipment to process.

Julius Shulman's books are utterly inspirational. I have both of them (see Amazon for the titles).

I just ordered Ezra Stoller's book - another giant of American architectural photography. I think that falls into the same category as Shulman's.

You can actually see some of Stoller's work online at http://www.esto.com.

Shulman's work is also widely available on the net. Do a Google search for his name. There are some pictures from his book "Architecture & its Photography" at the book publisher, Taschen's site http://www.taschen.com/arc_pub/arcpub.htm. The USC has an online show of his work at http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture/shulman/

Mark Brown
22-May-2000, 02:04
Gerry Kopelow's "How to Photograph Buildings and Interiors" is the best book on the techniques involved in architectural photography that I've found so far. "Professional Architectural Photography" and "Professional Interior Photography", both by Michael Harris, are good adjuncts to this. For inspiration, the Ezra Stoller or Julius Schulman books mentioned above are good, especially if you like modern architecture. The Stoller book doesn't touch on the mechanics of photography at all, but is a magnificant "coffee table" book.

Michael_527
22-May-2000, 08:40
Thanks for the responses everyone. There is definately a fairly short list of architectural photography books out there. I'll get a couple from Amazon and see if they fit my needs.

Thanks again

---Michael

Kasperovich
21-Apr-2005, 12:23
There are quite a few titles on the subject. As mentioned in other responses all are good. The most technical I have found is the Linhof book from years ago(©1965) - its very comprehensive. The Simmons books on "Using the View Camera" is useful as well. I have collected books on the subject for over 25 years and would appreciate any input as to which titles peoplehave seen and like.

Kirk Gittings
21-Apr-2005, 12:42
You may get some great ideas from the books mentioned above. But you may be disappointed and misled somewhat by the offerings available, as many of the above texts are very dated technically. I teach arch. photography and I am not aware of anything out there that will serve adequately as a introductory text. For instance our methods of photographing mixed light interiors has drastically changed over the last few years as a result of more forgiving films particularly Kodak EPN anfd Fuji NPS and Velvia 100F. All of the texts mentioned above predate that technical developement and demonstrate earlier approaches. The Schuller book even advocates the use of flashbulbs.

Your best bet is to take a workshop with someone contemporary and qualified.