PDA

View Full Version : What camera (size/type) is J Brunner using here?

walter23
14-Jan-2007, 15:48
I just saw a link to this video (I can't recall where, one of the forums here I think):

http://alternativecamera.com/ilftrl.html

What's this camera? What size is that? Looks bigger than 8x10 to my untrained eyes, but I've never used an 8x10.

naturephoto1
14-Jan-2007, 15:52
Hi Walter,

I could check with Jason, but I am pretty sure it is an 8 X 10. 11 X 14 cameras get very big and heavy to carry very far, particularly when mounted on a wooden Ries Tripod and carried over one's shoulder. By the way, I posted the link for someone asking for a DVD on large format photography.

Rich

Capocheny
14-Jan-2007, 16:03
Walter,

Why don't you just send J a note?

IIRC, he's oftentimes found on the APUG site...:)

Pretty funny vid!

Cheers

John Kasaian
14-Jan-2007, 16:55
Looks like an 8x10 to me, possibly a ROC or Eastman.

Steve Hamley
14-Jan-2007, 17:56
Looks like an 8x10 Kodak 2D to me, the head is a Majestic. Don't recognize the sticks, but the knobs aren't Ries.

Steve

Dave Parker
14-Jan-2007, 18:31
It is an 8x10 Kodak 2D with one of my screens in it that he sneezed all over!!!!

Dave

JBrunner
15-Jan-2007, 15:16
From the looks of it, I think its an old Kodak 8x10 2D, with a Turner Reich Triple in an Ilex shutter, Majestic head, and Fred Picker's Zone VI woody tripod.... that's what I think, but I've been known to be wrong.

walter23
15-Jan-2007, 16:51
From the looks of it, I think its an old Kodak 8x10 2D, with a Turner Reich Triple in an Ilex shutter, Majestic head, and Fred Picker's Zone VI woody tripod.... that's what I think, but I've been known to be wrong.

Hah. Is that you in the video?

Thanks for the response. It's a pretty nice looking setup, and I hate to think I might be tempted to move in that direction. I just noticed my local store stocks a couple of types of 8x10 film.

JBrunner
15-Jan-2007, 18:49
Hah. Is that you in the video?

Thanks for the response. It's a pretty nice looking setup, and I hate to think I might be tempted to move in that direction. I just noticed my local store stocks a couple of types of 8x10 film.

Yes, thats me.:D

A 2D is a pretty good starter camera for 8x10 if you like old stuff, are on a budget, like old barrel lenses(because the front standard is sturdy, with 6x6 mahogany lensboards, and a packard shutter is an easy install into the camera itself) If you get one you will want to make sure it comes with the tailboard, so you can use the big fat long lenses, which is the primary reason for owning a 2D.

But you need to know- the front only has rise, and the movements on the back are limited, just a bit of swing and tilt, so its no pretzel. Its big and heavy by modern standards. It has an alarming amount of flex, to the uninitiated. It folds, but not very small. Its big. Its heavy. Its old. Any modern field camera will run rings around it.

It is, however, cooler than hell, and I would never part with mine.

J

Craig Roberts
15-Jan-2007, 19:24
Great video – it’s a pleasure to see someone with a sense of humor.
I too enjoy my old 2-d. I did add front tilts to it though but kept the original front standard in case I ever part with it.
Craig

Jim Galli
15-Jan-2007, 20:50
J, does it have one of those Chrysler shutters that works with a bulb?

JBrunner
16-Jan-2007, 06:18

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the man who infected me with 2Ditis.

naturephoto1
16-Jan-2007, 06:21
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the man who infected me with 2Ditis.

And took the photo that is your Avatar at APUG. :D

Rich

JBrunner
16-Jan-2007, 06:33
And took the photo that is your Avatar at APUG. :D

Rich

With a 2D....

Geert
16-Jan-2007, 06:59
With a 2D....

Hmm... that's a bit overkill for an avatar :D

G

JBrunner
16-Jan-2007, 15:15
Yes, I'm afraid some of the finer detail was lost.

eddie
16-Jan-2007, 16:36

me too! thanks jim!

eddie

Ken Lee
16-Jan-2007, 20:13
I have a 2D in 5x7, and it just has a vibe of its own.

It was an old portrait camera, and it still likes to take portraits, that I know. (Call me crazy).