PDA

View Full Version : Sinar reflex viewer

Steven Nestler
14-Jan-2007, 08:49
Hi.
I recently purchased a used Sinar F2, and it came with a reflex viewing hood. I love the idea of it, but have two reservations:

1. The magnifier is only 2X. Can a more powerful one be put in for focusing?

2. I'm concerned about the position of the hood, and the way I need to have the camera, in order to use it. I don't want the use of the hood to limit my points of view, and therefore, my vision.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Steven

Ernest Purdum
14-Jan-2007, 12:52
Raising the magnification would be a problem, since the distance between grounglass and magnifier would need to be shorter. Some sort of compund arrangement would be necessary, and then wouldn't cover.

I only have experience with this unit at a Photokina demonstration years ago. I think it would be great for initial composing, but then putting it aside and using a conventional loupe would be appropriate in many situations.

Capocheny
14-Jan-2007, 15:26
Hi.
I recently purchased a used Sinar F2, and it came with a reflex viewing hood. I love the idea of it, but have two reservations:

1. The magnifier is only 2X. Can a more powerful one be put in for focusing?

2. I'm concerned about the position of the hood, and the way I need to have the camera, in order to use it. I don't want the use of the hood to limit my points of view, and therefore, my vision.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Steven

Hello Steven,

IIRC, SinarBron sells (or use to sell) replacement lenses for the Binocular Reflex Hood. You might ask them whether it would/could fit into your hood or not.

[Do a Google on SinarBron... they're located in New Jersey and should be able to help you with your questions directly.]

For greater flexibility... mount the hood onto a flexible bellows, which should fit onto the back of your camera.

Cheers

Steven Nestler
16-Jan-2007, 18:31
Thanks, people!

John Quinn
17-Jan-2007, 02:23
Steven,
I use a Sinar reflex viewer with my Technika (custom adapter).
I think that there are two strengths available in the lens, I recall that the 2X is the stronger of the two. I find it to be adequate if I wear my spectacles.
I have found it to be excellent for composition, but I never rely on it to find sharp focus - I either use the rangefinder or a loupe.
I had a pair of 4X spectacles made up, but found them to be no better than the lens and my specs.
As I said I have found it excellent for composition, and have never felt that it has limited my points of view.
John