PDA

View Full Version : NM Badlands article

Aaron van de Sande
13-Jan-2007, 08:56
In the jan 07 "New Mexico" magazine there is a comprehensive article on the badland areas that are publicly accessible. Many people don't realize this but the badlands stretch over a huge area and the Bisti Wilderness is just a small part of this.
I live here and the article introduced me to several areas that I wasn't aware of... if you enjoy photographing in this region I would definitely recommend picking up a copy .

Colin Graham
13-Jan-2007, 09:02
I'm still kicking myself for missing the badlands on a recent trip through NM. Funny how what seems important at the time hardly ever turns out that way.

Ralph Barker
13-Jan-2007, 16:07
Thanks, Aaron. I'll hunt down a copy.

Of course, depending on how one defines "badlands", it might include my neighborhood in Rio Rancho. ;)

Bruce Schultz
14-Jan-2007, 15:39
You're right about that Ralph. When I was there, I don't think I could have gotten back on the highway with four-wheel drive. But that had more to do with the ice and snow than topography.

Aaron van de Sande
14-Jan-2007, 15:44
Last summer we had an intense monsoon that washed away many of the roads, with some several feet were lost. For some reason they keep building houses in the arroyos here.

Greg Lockrey
14-Jan-2007, 16:26
I wish I had the time to photograph out West. It's been a dream of mine for many moons.

davidb
14-Jan-2007, 16:32
I live kinda close to Ralph and Rio Rancho declares a "state of emergency" every time we get some weather. They just got about 15 inches of snow and the town does not own any plows to take care of the snow. Guess what? A "state of emergency".

Aaron van de Sande
14-Jan-2007, 16:51
Way overrated. Rocks and dried up stuff everywhere ;)

I wish I had the time to photograph out West. It's been a dream of mine for many moons.

roteague
14-Jan-2007, 18:03

Yes, Australia is more fun. 10 deadliest snakes in the world there, you know. Had the 2nd deadliest come into the campground on my last trip there. :eek:

Kirk Gittings
14-Jan-2007, 18:14
I've been there a few times, casually, not deep into it. It is a fascinating "otherworldly" kind of place full of color and suggestive forms. I would stay away if the weather has been too wet, not only is it a mud nightmare, but you leave your presence quite obviously. Be prepared to walk long distances as vehicle access is very limited.

Greg Lockrey
14-Jan-2007, 18:20

:) :) :)

Ralph Barker
14-Jan-2007, 18:20
. . . Had the 2nd deadliest come into the campground on my last trip there. :eek:

Sounds like snake-on-the-barbie, and pass the "Fostuhs", time! ;)

steve simmons
14-Jan-2007, 20:01
from Ralph Barker
"Of course, depending on how one defines "badlands", it might include my neighborhood in Rio Rancho."

Then why did you move down here?

It is curious that you would move down here and then bad mouth the place. Didn't you do your home work?

Or even better, if you don't like it and can't help to improve it go back.

steve simmons

Aaron van de Sande
14-Jan-2007, 20:31
Now that we're on the subject, anyone know where I can get a good sub? The bread here is terrible!

roteague
14-Jan-2007, 20:36
Sounds like snake-on-the-barbie, and pass the "Fostuhs", time! ;)

Only tourists drink Fosters. :eek: Make mine Victoria Bitter or Coopers Pale Ale.

steve simmons
14-Jan-2007, 20:38
Now we are getting waaaaay off topic.

pass me an Anchor Steam and I will toast to New Mexico

steve simmons

Ralph Barker
14-Jan-2007, 20:42
Steve - you appear to have overlooked the "winkie" after my comment.

Truth is, having done my homework and having been here before, I love New Mexico, Rio Rancho, and my neighborhood. Couldn't ask for better. But, someone accustomed to life in some other spot might consider this area to be their vision of "badlands".