PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog DIY Camera low-down

Ash
12-Jan-2007, 13:02
I really hope you aren't all sick of me already, I've been posting quite a bit recently! Since I should have the funds cleared in a week or so, I thought I'd ask some help here.

I'm after two things, a 4x5 enlarger, and a 4x5 back to mock up on the 1/2plate field camera.

I've seen the bulldog diy camera from camerabellows.com on-site and it's been niggling in the back of my head.

think this would work?

1 - take the international 4x5 back from the camera, and modify it a little to fit directly on the half-plate field camera. This would be no more than attaching the back to the correct sized-frame that sits on the camera, so only a minimal amount of woodworking (there is a second plain back sitting around waiting to be attached with carpenter's tools).

2 - take the rest of the camera and construct it, turn it on its head, attach a plain sheet of glass or frame or something, and build a diffuser head on top, and have myself a cheap and basic 4x5 enlarger for small enlargements (I'm not talking wall-size prints!).

This way I've killed off two needs with one apparently low cost solution. 4x5 backs are upwards of £200 new over here, and enlargers are pickup only and go for £100-£800!

I have a friend who is a retired electrician who can make sure the diffuser head is wired up correctly, and that I have the right equipment in there, and building the light box and a film tray should be pretty straight forward.

Has anyone ever used or experienced one of the Bulldog cameras at all? Any links to reviews? I would have thought the limited movements would be perfect for such a project?

Thoughts, crit?

thanks!