PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog DIY Camera low-down

Ash
12-Jan-2007, 13:02
I really hope you aren't all sick of me already, I've been posting quite a bit recently! Since I should have the funds cleared in a week or so, I thought I'd ask some help here.

I'm after two things, a 4x5 enlarger, and a 4x5 back to mock up on the 1/2plate field camera.

I've seen the bulldog diy camera from camerabellows.com on-site and it's been niggling in the back of my head.

think this would work?

1 - take the international 4x5 back from the camera, and modify it a little to fit directly on the half-plate field camera. This would be no more than attaching the back to the correct sized-frame that sits on the camera, so only a minimal amount of woodworking (there is a second plain back sitting around waiting to be attached with carpenter's tools).

2 - take the rest of the camera and construct it, turn it on its head, attach a plain sheet of glass or frame or something, and build a diffuser head on top, and have myself a cheap and basic 4x5 enlarger for small enlargements (I'm not talking wall-size prints!).

This way I've killed off two needs with one apparently low cost solution. 4x5 backs are upwards of 200 new over here, and enlargers are pickup only and go for 100-800!

I have a friend who is a retired electrician who can make sure the diffuser head is wired up correctly, and that I have the right equipment in there, and building the light box and a film tray should be pretty straight forward.

Has anyone ever used or experienced one of the Bulldog cameras at all? Any links to reviews? I would have thought the limited movements would be perfect for such a project?

Thoughts, crit?

thanks!