PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Presto 400 4x5

Rolleijoe
12-Jan-2007, 10:05
I purchsed a few boxes of this before leaving Hawaii, and may have the opportunity to shoot with it this weekend. My choice would be either it or Arista.EDU (Forte).

While I'd much rather prefer shooting Efke 25 or 100 tomorrow, there's no way to get them here quick enough to load the holders tonight.

Has anyone else ever used/shot this film in 4x5? From what I understand from the supplier on Maui, Fuji has stopped making it altogether. :(

I'll be processing in good old Rodinal.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Hiro
12-Jan-2007, 20:05
Presto 400 is a very (perhaps the most) popular B&W film in Japan. Fuji dropped Presto sheets some time ago, and 100-ft rolls (of all B&W films) will be discontinued at the end of March, too. I've shot it only in 135 and 120 rolls and in very limited numbers (I mostly do color). Some say it's a U.S. Professional 400 equivalent, but I don't know for sure.

It's finer grain than traditional Tri-X, HP5+, etc. and less so than T-grain types like T-Max and Delta. My impression is Presto seems to handle bright areas, such as the sky, better (less grainy) than HP5+. It's reputed to handle high-contrast situations well, but you can still blow out highlights. So I'd err on the under side.

The bottom line is...give it a try. One big problem is if you like it, there's no more. If you don't like it, I'll give you my address ;-)

Dirk Rösler
17-Jan-2007, 22:02
Try Xtol 1:1

Rolleijoe
18-Jan-2007, 08:47
Thanks guys.