PDA

View Full Version : Did you attend the LIQUIDATION auction Jobo USA Sept. 20, 2005?

John Powers
11-Jan-2007, 18:31
Did you attend the LIQUIDATION auction Jobo USA Sept. 20, 2005? There may have been a machine at auction that made inserts allowing ULF film sheets to be processed in large Jobo print drums. We would like to find that machine and possibly make these inserts again. If you know anything about the machine or its location, please let us know. See thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/24774-jobo-3063-drum-inserts.html?highlight=3063

Thanks,

John Powers

Oren Grad
11-Jan-2007, 18:50
John -

I hope you are successful in tracking down the machine.

That said, I doubt those inserts would increase productivity in processing your 7x17s - they were intended for processing one sheet at a time of very large film sizes.

I do three 7x17's in the 3063, using the ribs to hold the sheets in place. It works OK with D-76, though I've heard of problems with pyro developers.

Bob Chambers
11-Jan-2007, 19:09
John, I was there and saw just about everthing, can you describe what it looked like?

John Powers
11-Jan-2007, 19:39
Bob,
Thanks for responding. No I don't know what it looked like. Read through the thread if you haven't, and possibly something will ring a bell. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/24774-jobo-3063-drum-inserts.html?highlight=Jobo
It is a long shot, but if it comes in we solve a ULF developing problem.

Thanks,

John

clay harmon
11-Jan-2007, 20:39
I recall seeing a photo somewhere on the web of one of these jobbies. It appeared to be plastic mesh with little buttons to hold the film away from the wall of the paper drum. It also had buttons on the film side that were spaced to allow the user to snap the film into place on the plastic mesh and then insert the sandwich into the drum. It looked to me like some plastic screening, nylon buttons, epoxy and a Saturday afternoon would suffice to make a homebrew version. FWIW, I moved to doing everything in trays after intermittent problems with bromide drag and irregular staining when using 7x17 and 12x20 in the Jobo paper drums. Naturally, it only occurred on shots where I made no backup exposure and the composition turned out to be the 'money shot'. (Naturally, I use the term 'money shot' with a heavy dose of irony. Money and ULF photography are immiscible, like oil and water. )

Aggie
11-Jan-2007, 21:10
Even simplier version needs no machine to make. My shooting partner use to own a processing lab in So. California. A customer of his showed him how to make a better version using some ladies craft materials. They are so simple to make and work better than the one he has from jobo. I'll get the instructions from him. It uses plastic canvas used by ladies to do a type of needlepoint.

resummerfield
12-Jan-2007, 00:48
Even simplier version needs no machine to make. My shooting partner use to own a processing lab in So. California. A customer of his showed him how to make a better version using some ladies craft materials. They are so simple to make and work better than the one he has from jobo. I'll get the instructions from him. It uses plastic canvas used by ladies to do a type of needlepoint.Great idea! Any further information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

John Bowen
12-Jan-2007, 03:52
Aggie,

Thanks for your help with this

John Powers
12-Jan-2007, 06:25
I recall seeing a photo somewhere on the web of one of these jobbies. It appeared to be plastic mesh with little buttons to hold the film away from the wall of the paper drum. It also had buttons on the film side that were spaced to allow the user to snap the film into place on the plastic mesh and then insert the sandwich into the drum. It looked to me like some plastic screening, nylon buttons, epoxy and a Saturday afternoon would suffice to make a homebrew version. FWIW, I moved to doing everything in trays after intermittent problems with bromide drag and irregular staining when using 7x17 and 12x20 in the Jobo paper drums. Naturally, it only occurred on shots where I made no backup exposure and the composition turned out to be the 'money shot'. (Naturally, I use the term 'money shot' with a heavy dose of irony. Money and ULF photography are immiscible, like oil and water. )

Thanks Clay,

I would like to stay with the Jobo process. I like that so many of the components can be repeated precisely each time. The tanks also keep the chemicals at a distance from my bad allergies. I use a charcoal filter mask, latril gloves and hurricane style ventilation, but still have problems. My impression is that the Jobo allows me to do what I might have to give up without it. Since I love the darkroom process that makes finding a viable method all the more important to me. Ammonia fumes have taken me to the floor in a couple of platinum workshops so allergic reactions are very real concern.

John

John Powers
12-Jan-2007, 06:28
I'll get the instructions from him.

Thanks Aggie,

That would be a great help and probably a lot less expensive than the other route.

John

Aggie
12-Jan-2007, 08:59
OK did some research on the materials needed. Without going direct to the manufactuer of the plastic canvas for larger sheets, I can get them in 13 5/8" x 22 1/2" size. It costs a whopping $1.50 for a sheet that size. The little plastic clips which also act to hold the sheet film to the sheet, are cents each. I hope that cost factor is agreeable to those who would want to make it. I will have John take some (gasp this from me) digi snaps of his sheet along with the one that jobo puts out as comparison. He found that his works much better than the jobo one. He can also let you know where he got the clips and how he attached them. It might take you 5 minutes construction time.

John Powers
12-Jan-2007, 09:19
Thanks Aggie. Looking forward to the pics. Do I understand correctly that you go to a fabric store and ask for "plastic canvas used ... to do a type of needlepoint."? The ladies in the fabric store thought I was gay a couple of years ago when I bought several yards of black velvet for a macro project. I'll just tell them the black ball room gown didn't work out and I am on to needlepoint in my lonely senior dotage.

John

Ralph Barker
12-Jan-2007, 10:46
John - I've received the same raised-eyebrows when purchasing fabric for backdrops and props. When I mention its for photography, the raised eyebrows shift to the "yeah, right" rolled eyes. ;)

Dave Parker
12-Jan-2007, 11:43
Heck, I spend more time in our local fabric store than my wife ever does, know most of the ladies on a first name basis, they have finally come to the conclusion, I am just weird!

LOL

Aggie
12-Jan-2007, 12:36
OK, if I did a large order direct from the manufacturer it saves money, and you men the embarrasement factor. If you want I could do that. On the flip side, my shooting buddy who came up with this idea, mentioned he could do it as an article for the magazine I'm connected too. Would still need to have people independently test it out. Would cost of materials plus postage help for those who would test it?

resummerfield
12-Jan-2007, 13:19
.....Without going direct to the manufactuer of the plastic canvas for larger sheets, I can get them in 13 5/8" x 22 1/2" size......I am planning on using the 20x24 Jobo 3063 drum, so I would need a larger sheet, as I think most of us interested in this would. Aggie, if you are volunteering to contact the manufacturer, you've got my full support. Thanks!

John Bowen
12-Jan-2007, 13:28
Aggie,

I would be happy to test it, and I would also be more than happy to cover the cost of the materials and postage. I shoot 7x17 TMY in Pyrocat HD and already have the Jobo and 3063 drum. Thanks,

John

Sal Santamaura
12-Jan-2007, 13:50
...On the flip side, my shooting buddy who came up with this idea, mentioned he could do it as an article for the magazine I'm connected to...Great idea, have Robert write it up (with illustrations) in Emulsion! Test results should be included, especially for worst-case scenes with lots of even tone.

Since Dave Parker hasn't got much going on with ground glass right now, maybe he can start manufacturing and selling the inserts to supplement his business. :)

Aggie
12-Jan-2007, 14:30
For those who would need dimensions larger than 14x22 I will keep searching to find a manufacturer who will sell me a large roll of the stuff. I'd have dave write it up, but I already have the guy John Roseborough, who invented it, writing the article. Of course I can use the rest of you and your results if you will let me. Pssst I'm not trying to advertise, so just say that magazine. Enough know who I am. I just want to if I can blend in.

Dave Parker
12-Jan-2007, 15:27
Great idea, have Robert write it up (with illustrations) in Emulsion! Test results should be included, especially for worst-case scenes with lots of even tone.

Since Dave Parker hasn't got much going on with ground glass right now, maybe he can start manufacturing and selling the inserts to supplement his business. :)

You funny, Ha,Ha!

Dave

John Powers
12-Jan-2007, 16:10
OK, if I did a large order direct from the manufacturer it saves money, and you men the embarrasement factor. If you want I could do that. On the flip side, my shooting buddy who came up with this idea, mentioned he could do it as an article for the magazine I'm connected too. Would still need to have people independently test it out. Would cost of materials plus postage help for those who would test it?

Aggie,

I was just kidding about the embarrassment. However if you are willing to get what we need that would be great. That way there would be uniformity in what we have. If one has a problem we can probably solve the problem faster that way. I will be happy to pay my way, postage and materials. Let me know costs. I will PM contact information.

My objective is to make the developing process more efficient, three sheets in the time two take now. I will need enough lead time to obtain a 3053 from B&H or any source someone suggests. I will be happy to give feedback on how it all works. I use Rollo Pyro so that can be a variable for the article. I'll even throw in a subscription as a thank you. I really appreciate your help.

John Powers

Clueless Winddancing
12-Jan-2007, 16:44
In the past I've photographed my OEM insert for 11X14 and sent it out. It seems like someone uploaded to file those images. My insert was not mesh.

John Powers
13-Jan-2007, 05:58
Would you mind posting again or can you offer a link?

Thanks,

John Powers