PDA

View Full Version : large format scanning and printing

larry ludensky
7-Jun-1998, 22:31
Simply stated, I want to print large photos with a computer and not in a darkr oom. What is the best way to get there ?

I am interested in scanning large format negatives and then printing them digita lly. I would liketo be able to scan from a 4x5 to an 11x14 neg and print up to a B size (11x17) picture (even larger if possible, I like big)

Can anyone give me any advice as to which scanner, printer, paper, software, etc to buy. Are my size requirements too ambitious fora n aerage budget and if so, what size might be more affordable for a non-professional.

Also, what kind of detail (dpi, lpi, 10x mag), re sharpness, contrast, transiton , is it reasonable to expect and can it be as good as a true photo process?

Thanks, Larry

Stuart Goldstein
9-Jun-1998, 08:29
Be prepared to spend BIG bucks on a 4x5 negative scanner. Check macworld's produ ct reports - I think that they reviewed a scanner within the last six months. Ev en if you don't have a Mac, this article will give you an idea how much the scan ner costs and who manufacturers 4x5 scanners.

Stuart Goldstein
17-Jun-1998, 13:36
View Camera Magazine, the May/June 1998 issue, covers 4x5 scanners in a two page spread (pp.60-61). The price of the scanners that they mention range from $10K to $20K. At those prices....

Darron Spohn
17-Jun-1998, 15:44
Let's see. You'll need to spend about $6,500 for a flatbed scanner with a transp arency adapter, and you still may not get quite to 11x14 negatives. Then you'll take these scans into your computer with 1.5 gigabytes of RAM and two 9 gb hard drives (one for a scratch disk), a 20-inch monitor, a tape backup etc. Figure ab out $13,000 for the computer (128mb DIMMs are expensive). Next you'll need a 1,2 00 dpi printer capable of 11x17 prints. That'll set you back about $3,500 for bl ack-and-white. Color will run well over $10,000 at the size you want.

For all that your results won't be anywhere near photo quality.

A less expensive, higher-quality alternative is to get your negatives drum scann ed and send the Photoshop files to a service bureau with a Light Jet 5000 digita l printer. The Light Jet prints are extremely good, but you'll need a Power Mac stuffed with $7,200 worth of RAM to work on 11x14 drum scans. The 4x5 drum scans I've seen are around 300-350 mb. I don't even want to think about how large an 11x14 drum scan could get.

Just do it the old fashioned way in a darkroom.

Richard Martel
10-Apr-2009, 12:21
Just a flashback...Technology/price has improved a bit (or is that byte) in 11 years.

Richard

Peter De Smidt
10-Apr-2009, 12:28
Hi End:

1. Get either an IQ Smart 2 flatbed scanner, or a used Howtek/Aztek drum scanner.
2. Get a Canon IPF6100 or HP Z3200 printer, because clogged nozzles, Eps..cough, cough..really suck. Big time.

Mid-Range
1. Get an Epson 750, and make sure you learn how to use it to maximize quality.
2. Get a non-epson printer from Canon or HP that can do 13x19s. Don't know specifics about alternatives at that size.

sog1927
10-Apr-2009, 12:36
Just a flashback...Technology/price has improved a bit (or is that byte) in 11 years.

Richard

Except that there *aren't* any 4x5 film scanners any more. :(

bvstaples
10-Apr-2009, 12:45
At the low end, you're going to need about five grand plus by the time you invest in a decent consumer flatbed, wet mount holders and fluids, a Mac, a decent consumer printer with lumadye or quad tone inks, print papers, and software. Your first prints off of these will astonish you (even though 13x19 is about the max size you can go), but you'll quickly get disillusioned as you stack your prints next to those that are drum scanned, corrected on dedicated systems, and output on LightJet type systems on papers designed specifically for high quality output.

If you're really serious about it, then I would find a local service bureau and find a way to establish a partnership with them. I myself have the "home-based system" described above, which allows me to sort of proof my work. Then if I have something I would like to see at 20x25 or 30x40, I take the neg, get a drum scan, take the scan and process the file on my Mac (the strong element in my system, lots of RAM, processors, and terabyte drives), then output them on LightJet printers on a chosen substrate. I mount my own prints so I save a few bucks there, but overall large prints still cost me a bundle—but then I don't lots and lots of them.

Like most endeavors we choose in life, there are always costs involved, one way or another.

BVS

Paul Greeves
10-Apr-2009, 14:53
Hi Larry,

Here is what I use and can highly recommend. To scan I use an Epson V750. This has a maximum negative size of 10x8 but it should be possible to scan a 11x14 negative in four sections and join them together in Photoshop using Photomerge. I haven't used a fluid mount. This detail and sharpness is fine without. To scan large sheets of film you will need to make your own mask out of mount board to keep the negative off the glass. If you want to scan 5x4, then a holder is provided to scan two sheets at a time. Silver Fast is also bundled with the Epson Software.

To print, I use an Epson 7800. The current model is an 7880 which is soon to be replaced. So check out the very latest model. This prints 24" wide media by any length. It is best to buy the paper on the roll. A guillotine cuts the paper after each print. I would also advise buying the 220 ml cartridges for extra value. I have tried various paper. If you are looking for a paper that has the feel of traditional photo paper then Kodak's Professional Inkjet Paper is excellent. If you are looking for a paper that has the appearance of fiber based paper, then Permajet Fiber Gloss is the best inkjet paper I have ever tried.

http://www.digitaldarkroomuk.com

Brian Ellis
10-Apr-2009, 15:17
Hi End:

1. Get either an IQ Smart 2 flatbed scanner, or a used Howtek/Aztek drum scanner.
2. Get a Canon IPF6100 or HP Z3200 printer, because clogged nozzles, Eps..cough, cough..really suck. Big time.

Mid-Range
1. Get an Epson 750, and make sure you learn how to use it to maximize quality.
2. Get a non-epson printer from Canon or HP that can do 13x19s. Don't know specifics about alternatives at that size.

You're responding 11 years after the question was asked?

Jim Ewins
10-Apr-2009, 15:27
WOW!! What a bunch of negative replies. I don't get perfect scans but very good scans with a Epson 4990 up to 8x10 negatives. I've never needed a scan larger, but my wife does wonderful panoramas with the PS CS4 merge. Just do it, Larry. A 4990 used should be inexpensive.

Peter De Smidt
10-Apr-2009, 15:31
Yep, I answer questions that pop up as unread threads if I can contribute. I don't spend a lot of time looking at things like when the original post was made. After all, I'm trying to be helpful for free... And it doesn't matter if the original poster is long gone. No doubt someone else has similar questions.

sanking
10-Apr-2009, 15:32
Not only the 11 years, but the OP Larry Ludensky may not be listening. This message appears to be his only posting to the LF forum!!

Sandy King

You're responding 11 years after the question was asked?

Andrew O'Neill
10-Apr-2009, 15:46
I wonder how Larry made out after all these years...

Brian Ellis
10-Apr-2009, 19:40
WOW!! What a bunch of negative replies. I don't get perfect scans but very good scans with a Epson 4990 up to 8x10 negatives. I've never needed a scan larger, but my wife does wonderful panoramas with the PS CS4 merge. Just do it, Larry. A 4990 used should be inexpensive.

Your 4990 wasn't made back in 1998, when the question was asked.

Peter De Smidt
10-Apr-2009, 20:14
Maybe someone else can point out that this is an old thread?

sanking
10-Apr-2009, 20:38
Peter,

Don't give it another thought. I almost gave a long answer to the question myself before realizing the question of the OP was *very* old.

Sandy King

Maybe someone else can point out that this is an old thread?

Ken Lee
11-Apr-2009, 05:33
15 May, 1508

Wanted: Assistants needed on large-scale design project. Successful applicant must have knowledge of latest methods of Fresco. Familiarity with Old Testament, experience with scaffolding a plus. Those suffering from Acrophobia and/or Claustrophobia need not apply. Must have excellent eye sight and drawing skills, willing to work long hours on back.

Contact: M di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, Sistine Chapel, Vatican

Peter De Smidt
11-Apr-2009, 09:37
Thanks Sandy. No worries :)

venchka
11-Apr-2009, 18:48
Thanks for the grin Ken! I suppose the first replies frightened the OP.

Nathan Potter
11-Apr-2009, 19:16
It's been a long winter and maybe we've all spent too much time in the darkroom, or staring at Photoshop.:mad: I know I've done too much of both. Let's get out in the countryside, or citywide, breath some fresh air and make some new images. Better than talking about 1998.:) :)

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

venchka
11-Apr-2009, 19:26
There you go.

Brian Ellis
13-Apr-2009, 10:04
Yep, I answer questions that pop up as unread threads if I can contribute. I don't spend a lot of time looking at things like when the original post was made. After all, I'm trying to be helpful for free... And it doesn't matter if the original poster is long gone. No doubt someone else has similar questions.

Peter - That's fine, I wasn't being critical of the fact that you were responding to an old question. I sometimes do the same thing for the same reason myself. I just wondered if you realized how old the original question was.

Peter De Smidt
13-Apr-2009, 18:08
Hi Brian,

Nope, sure didn't :)