info on Toyos new Carbon Fiber Field camera but
haven't been able to search up much.

Can anyone tell me what their impressions or experiences
are with this camera?

Thanks!

Justin

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 10:51
Not worth buying, IMO. The CF's movements are so limited that it really makes the camera not too useful for landscapes.

JMyerz
11-Jan-2007, 10:51
thank you.

Ted Harris
11-Jan-2007, 10:57
I disagree on the movements, they are limited but useful for most landscape work OTOH I wouldn't buy one either .... just too cheaply made and hae a tendancy to fall apart, break, etc. You can get a nice new Tachihara for the same or less money that will last you a long time and givces you more movements; same for a Shen Hao but it is heavier.

Jean-Marie Solichon
11-Jan-2007, 11:45
Justin,
I have been using a 45CF for about two years. And I finally sold the 45AII which was the first view camera I bought 7 years ago. In my opinion a 45CF is better than the AII on features important for me :weight and movements of the front standard. When I need more features and I don't have to hike a lot I take my Sinar F2.
I tried a Tachihara and felt that the front standard was not as acurate as the CF's. Also the Tachi is less rigid specially with a 300mm which is my second most used lens.
Just my 2cts.

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 12:09
I disagree on the movements, they are limited but useful for most landscape work

Perhaps, but I can't see how you can live without the rear tilt. Not for serious landscape work.

C. D. Keth
11-Jan-2007, 12:20
Perhaps, but I can't see how you can live without the rear tilt. Not for serious landscape work.

Don't know. Even my old Korona has generous rear movements, even if the front movements are nearly nil.

Ted Harris
11-Jan-2007, 15:52
With lenses 300mm and shorter what is wrong with front movements. In fact, depending on the distances involved from foreground to background there rae many instances where front tilt is preferable. However, I still would never recommend this camera to anyone. Even if you want it because it is light I can still think of better options. For those that have good luck with the camera, great. If I could be sure it wouldn;t fall apart I 'd get one myself but there are jsut oo many stories and dealer returns on them are unreasonably high. In fact I preordered one when they were announced several years ago at an intro price of $400. hen mine arrived it was broken in the box :(.

pixclixer
11-Jan-2007, 16:23
Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic allot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?
I usually used front tilts, pretty much had always been taught to do so.
Granted, I moved to an ARCA for landscape.
Is this a folding camera front bed clearance issue?

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 16:35
Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic allot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?

No, it is because you do not have the opportunity of using the rear tilts for the purpose of exagerating the size of objects in the foreground (can not cause rocks etc. to loom in size- changing shape by moving the film plane in relation to the subject). Additionally, there may be instances where it would be preferable to use rear tilts with telephoto lenses or lenses on a top hat rather than deal with the inherent problems of the lens size and nodal points with front tilts.

Rich

Joe Forks
11-Jan-2007, 19:03
I sold my CF too, but I was able to do rear tilt (backwards only) with the drop bed feature.

Best Joe

Joseph O'Neil
12-Jan-2007, 06:52
Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic al lot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?

I have a Crown Graphic, but ended up buying a new Tachihara because there are some times when the rear movement is just nice to have.

a bit of background - Toyo - if memory serves me correctly - bought all the tools & dies for the old Super Speed Graphic, which is the Graphic that came after the Crown. It has more movements than the Crown, but still no back movements. I used to own a Super SG, loved the camera, but again, got to a point I wanted those back movements.

In my opinion, the Toyo 45 CF is basically the current, modernized version of the older Super Speed Graphic, or if Graphic was still in business today making the SSG, it would likely look like the Toyo 45 CF, IMO.

The range and type of movements on the older Super SG and the current Toyo 45 CF are very close to each other, so if you are happy with the range of movements on your Crown and/or a Super Speed Graphic, you would likely be happy with the Toyo.

joe

squiress
12-Jan-2007, 07:25
In my opinion, the Toyo 45 CF is basically the current, modernized version of the older Super Speed Graphic, or if Graphic was still in business today making the SSG, it would likely look like the Toyo 45 CF, IMO.joe

I would agree with this comment. I bought a CF new and then got an AX off of Ebay. I thought the CF was VERY CG-like. No idea about durability, but the AX appears much more capable for relatively few more $$. (or go get a nice CG and really save)

Stew

Jim Rhoades
12-Jan-2007, 07:40
From another point of view I think that the lack of movements is overstated. A few years ago I bought a Horseman HD. Short bellows and no back movements. (Like the 45CF) For the only once in a while need for looming a subject you can back tilt with bed drop and front tilt. This camera is so small, light and tough it is now my main 4x5. I have a Deardorff 4x5/5x7 with movements up the kazoo. I only use it for 5x7 now.

However I would worry about the build quality of the CF. I don't know if it would take the beating my HD takes on a motorcycle or bouncing around in the Jeep.
Having grown up with a Crown Graphic it was easy for me to adapt.

Terence McDonagh
12-Jan-2007, 08:51
I would hardly say I'm gentle with equipment. My CF, which I got at the intro price, is scratched, scuffed, etc. and has been dragged all over the west, through snow and rain. None of this affects the camera operation. The stamped rails, etc are much lighter than milled stock, and have not been a problem for me. I'm not sure what people are doing to their cameras that they're worried about damaging these. Sure they're not as sturdy, but it was cheap and light and fairly tough. I'm not sure I'd pay current prices, though. My only gripes with it is that when closed it is not nearly as dust-tight as a Graflex, and I don't like the use of the rail extension as the clam-shell lock.