PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock grandagon n Fmm F 6.8

Former Member 8144
11-Jan-2007, 09:54
We all know of the quality of the grandagon N F 4.5 but how does the 6.8 version stand up in comparison?

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 10:03
Hi Marc,

Many of us here have the slower Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N MC lenses. These lenses are based on the Biogon design with 6 elements in the design while the f4.5 Grandagons are of similar design with 8 elements in the design. The 8 element lens may have more correction and has more lens coverage. For myself, I have been very pleased with my slower f6.8 lens. Mine has proven to be extremely sharp, with excellent contrast and color. However, I use the lens for landscape and general usage (not architecture) and have only very infrequently run out of coverage. The slower lens is considerably smaller, lighter, more packagable and uses a 67mm filter thread while as I recall the f4.5 lens uses an 82mm filter thread.

Rich

Brian Vuillemenot
11-Jan-2007, 11:15
I also use the f6.8 75mm Grandagon and have been completely happy with it, although I haven't done any controlled tests and use it for landscape where I don't need extensive movements.

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 11:31
I also use the f6.8 75mm Grandagon and have been completely happy with it, although I haven't done any controlled tests and use it for landscape where I don't need extensive movements.

Like Brian, I also have the f6.8 75mm Grandagon N MC. I also like it and have been pleased with the same results and comments. I do and have not used it as frequently as my f6.8 90mm Grandagon however.

Rich

vinny
11-Jan-2007, 12:16
It's the sharpest lens i own for 4x5.

Emmanuel BIGLER
12-Jan-2007, 02:04
Another enthusiastic vote for the 6-element f/6.8 Grandagon-N 75mm and 90mm. I own both.
Initially I bought the 75-6.8 for use in 6x9 so I did not care for the limited coverage w/respect to the 4.5 model. I expanded my collection with the 90-6.8 recently to use in 4x5".

We all know the advice by the Mister Plus Gang "you need more lens elements, 6 is not enough, 8 elements is the minimum, more coverage, more, more".
Choosing purposedly the 6-element 6.8 75 and 90 grandagon is a reasonable choice to resist against temptations from Mr. Plus ;-);-)
The 6.8-75 grandagon-N is discontinued but can be found easily on the second hand market.
I found a second-hand Rodenstock centre filter for the 75 (diam = 67mm) so I can use it in 4x5" without fear of too much ligh fall-off (in colour slides mostly). In 6x9 I never found any problem of light fall-off and the 75.
I like very much the compactness of both lenses. The only actual limitation is that you should not push them too far in terms of lateral and vertical shifts and that the recommended f-stop is f/22, not f/8 ! Too bad, otherwise the 75 @ f/8 would be a perfect lens for a compact hand-held 6x9 camera with fast shutter speeds (who ever uses 1/500s on its view camera / compur or copal ?)
In 6x9 the 75 is extremely pleasant to use, it is like a 35 in 24x36 / 35mm format, a kind of universal lens for landscape.

Matus Kalisky
12-Jan-2007, 05:57
As I own already a 125mm lens (fuji) as a wide angle lens I tend to consider a 75mm over 90mm which I find too close. The Grandagon N 75/6.8 is temting not only beause of the size/weight (Nikkor 75/4.5 is only 80g more), but especially because of the price. My main concern for this lens would be landscape, but some architecture too.
I do not have doubts about quality of this lens, but - how do you find the coverage?

Matus

Ed Richards
12-Jan-2007, 05:57
That F22 is for coverage, not sharpness. Unless, of course, you are using extreme movements in your handheld camera.:-) I also use the 90 version, which I got for the size - I use it handheld on a Technika with a cam for the rangefinder. I standardized on a 67mm filter size: 65 Nikon, 90 Rodenstock 6.8, Fuji 150, 250 F6.3, 400T.

The 90 is my favorite lens. Very sharp, high contrast. Most of my Katrine pictures were shot with it. If money and size do not matter, go for the 90XL if you really need extreme coverage.