PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Photo Opportunities in Oregon

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 09:48
Hi All.

I am considering traveling to Oregon for a Landscape Photo trip from about May 1 to May 24. Any suggestions as to where to travel and take photos. For part of the time, I do plan to go to Crater Lake. Also, if my friend Charlie Campbell is available, I do plan to take photos along the Oregon Coast. Charlie lives in the Eugene area.

I plan on taking my Toho Shimo FC-45X with a battery of lenses including my Congo f6.3 90mm WA, Rodenstock f5.6 150mm Sironar S, Rodenstock f9 240mm Apo Ronar MC, Rodenstock f9 300mm Apo Ronar MC, and Fujinon C f12.5 450mm lenses. I also plan on taking my Mamiya 7II and perhaps 3 of my Mamiya 7 lenses as well as my Rollei 35S. I am also considering bringing my Horseman 6 X 12 back which will need to milled to work on the Toho.

I plan to shoot everything on transparencies- Fujichrome QL Velvia 50 (stocking up on some of the last available), Fujichorme QL Velvia 100, and possibly Fujichrome QL Provia 100 for 4 X 5.

Hiking and short backpacking trips for the trip will be OK, but no Mountain Climbing.

Any comments and suggestions and info about potential weather issues will be most appreciated.

Rich

matthew blais
11-Jan-2007, 10:05
I'll be there in May as well, starting at Shore Acres/Sunset Bay on the southern coast (my favorite area).
All up the coast is wonderful...just south of Bandon is nice, Cape Kiwanda and Cannon Beach (north coast.) All areas in between.

The Oregon State parks are among the best too. Clean, good facilities, scenic.

I was there in '06 the last week in May/early June and it did rain a bit, but worked around it over the five days. Fairly mild overall, maybe 40-45 at night and up to 60-65 day (without rain)

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 10:07
I'll be there in May as well, starting at Shore Acres/Sunset Bay on the southern coast (my favorite area).
All up the coast is wonderful...just south of Bandon is nice, Cape Kiwanda and Cannon Beach (north coast.) All areas in between.

The Oregon State parks are among the best too. Clean, good facilities, scenic.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks very much for the input. Very much appreciated.

Rich

roteague
11-Jan-2007, 10:32
I agree with Matthew, I was up there with Matthew and Per in 2005 - simply a beautiful area. Shore Acres is a great place to start, good hiking in the area (not difficult) and rock formations. Here is one of my images from just a little way south of there:

http://www.visionlandscapes.com/Images/OR1018A.jpg

Christopher Perez
11-Jan-2007, 10:37
For Oregon, there are a few nice things to consider. Some have already been mentioned. Here's a short list:

- Bandon: nice rock formations in the surf and offshore

- Coos Bay/Shore Acres: interesting rock shapes, everyone who's anyone goes there to try their hand at photography there

- Rogue River: nice scenery and roaring waters

- Cannon Beach: nice, though fewer than Bandon, offshore rock formations. Also nice parks that overlook the ocean

- Silver Falls State Park: water falls. Lots of them! Some quite high.

- Columbia Gorge: water falls. Lots of them! Some quite famous.

None of these are hikes, exactly. Most are close the car or easily accessible by short walks. If you're into boats, there are plenty of dock areas in the towns up and down the coast. And if you're as far south as that country called Kalifornia (LOL!) you might try your hand at the Redwoods (several beautiful locations) as well as Ferndale (I think that's what it's called) that has a downtown area of nothing but Victorian buildings.

Robert Brummitt
11-Jan-2007, 11:02
All those areas I agree with plus I like the big empty spaces of Central Oregon like the John Day region. Where the Painted hills are. Then there are the Steens Mountain area along the South east Oregon.
The farm land should be nice as well. I always like to travel along the I-5 highway to see the colors. But, the coast is a great place to start.
I wish you luck. You will have a great time exploring Oregon.
If you come by Portland. Come in say Hello.

Eric Leppanen
11-Jan-2007, 11:19
Rich,

I cruised the Oregon coast for a week last September. In preparing for that trip, I found this book helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-Oregon-Coast-Perfect/dp/088150534X/sr=1-1/qid=1168537402/ref=sr_1_1/104-9346850-6519143?ie=UTF8&s=books

May is part of the mosquito season, so be sure to bring lots of repellent. Also, the coast can be very windy, so bring whatever equipment you have to brace or protect your Toho (heavy tripod, long lens support arm, second tripod, umbrella, etc.). Sometimes you can partially hide behind rock walls at scenic turnouts to avoid the wind somewhat. I would definitely bring some Provia which you could push for more speed. Your M7 may get a lot of work as a backup "high wind" camera.

Some of the coastal lighthouses are very photogenic and also fun to visit. Heceta Head is the most famous, but is a challenge to photograph with LF (the classical view requires about a 600mm lens with 4x5); your 6x12 back might be the best solution here. Cape Meares lighthouse is also good, especially if you can capture the sunset light reflecting in its prisms (requires a wide-angle lens).

I'd also seriously suggest taking some B&W film for foggy days (done right, B&W coastal photography in the fog can be exquisite).

Also, for a change of pace, the Painted Hills section of John Day Fossil Beds National Monument is interesting. It is located well inland and requires at least another day of hard driving from the coast, but if you have a "lost day" due to rain, you can drive out there in the rain and photograph the following morning without much lost time. The color in the hills is superb right after a rainstorm.

Lastly, if you are flying in/out of Portland, you could spend time photographing the waterfalls in the Columbia River gorge. Also, Silver Falls State Park (26 miles east of Salem) is also reportedly quite good (I have never visited there). Both are described in good detail here:

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue29.htm

Good luck!

Kirk Keyes
11-Jan-2007, 11:27
May - try the Wooden Shoe Bulb Co. in Woodburn - between Salem and Portland off I-5. They have lots of tulips blooming around that time. There is also an iris grower near Salem as well with fields of irises that may be blooming around that time.

For waterfalls, try Silver Creek Falls SP near Silverton. And pretty much the entire Columbia River Gorge NSA has waterfalls. SOme are nicer in the fall, but spring can be a good time too.

Bring good rain gear, as well as warm weather gear. It can be either in May on the westside of the state.

Definitely go to Crater Lake. The road will not be open all the way around the lake, but it should be open on the west side from the Lodge on up.

Alan Davenport
11-Jan-2007, 11:44
Only 3 weeks to cover Oregon? You're going to be busy.

If you head east of the Cascades, The Painted Hills (John Day Fossil Beds) -- amazing always, and different almost every time you see them.

naturephoto1
11-Jan-2007, 12:23
Only 3 weeks to cover Oregon? You're going to be busy.

If you head east of the Cascades, The Painted Hills (John Day Fossil Beds) -- amazing always, and different almost every time you see them.

Hi Alan,

I know, I know, only 3 weeks. I had hoped for a month and I knew that wouldn't be nearly enough time and I had to limit what I would see. Unfortunately I have to sandwich the trip between 2 Art Shows. :eek: :( I have one of the shows from April 27-29; set-up on April 26. I have to get home and disconnect the trailer. The next show then is Memorial Day Weekend and I have to re-connect the trailer and set-up on May 25; the show runs from May 26-28. :( :(

Rich

brian reed
11-Jan-2007, 18:05
David Middleton has a good guide book on the Oregon coast, covers the entire coast, you could get it at Amazon.com
Which I just noticed is the link Eric provided, So I second this book.
BR

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Jan-2007, 21:36
May is my all time favorite month for photographing my home state of Oregon. They've already been mentioned, but I'll just reinforce what others have said. My three favorite spots that time of year are the Coast, the Gorge and the Painted Hills.

The entire Coast is a treasure, but two not-to-be-missed highlights are the Bandon Needles and Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park. While you're driving up (or down) the Coast, be sure to get off 101 and do the Three Capes Scenic Loop. Of the three capes, Kiwanda is my personal favorite.

For the Gorge, definitely drive the Historic Scenic Highway to see many of the biggest waterfalls and the obligatory view of Vista House from Women's Forum State Park. Also, for many other great watefalls, try a few hikes. The easiest and biggest bang for the buck is the Eagle Creek trail. Punchbowl Falls is an easy 4.4 mile round trip, but if you've got the time and energy, Tunnel Fals is a worthwhile 12 mile round trip (it's an easy 12 miles on a nice, well maintained trail with very gradual elevation gain). Go on an overcast, drizzly week day for the best lighting and smallest crowds. Another personal favorite starts at Horsetail Falls, climbs up behind Ponytail Falls, crosses the top of Oneonta Gorge on a bridge, with a quick 1.8 mile side trip to Triple Falls.

There will still be too much snow in the mountains for hiking at anthing but low elevations. A GREAT view of Mt. Hood can be had from Lost Lake. There is a nice campground and some rental cabins available at the lake. They usually open sometime in May, depending on the previous winter's snow fall. Call ahead to make sure the road to the lake has been plowed before attempting the drive (about 100 miles and ~2 hours from Portland). In May, you'll have to come in from north via I-84 and Hood River. Lolo Pass road from the south (via Hwy. 26 to Zig Zag) won't be open yet. If Lost Lake road is open, the Mountain will still have lots of snow on it that time of year and the lighting should be good both early and late in the day.

If you do decide to head over to the Painted Hills (~5 hour drive from Portland), also check out Smith Rock State Park while in the area.

You can view photos of many of these places at the Pacific Northwest Showcase (http://www.thalmann.com/Pacific_Northwest.htm) on my website.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Jan-2007, 21:39
May - try the Wooden Shoe Bulb Co. in Woodburn - between Salem and Portland off I-5. They have lots of tulips blooming around that time.

Actually, May will be too late for the tulip fields. They start blooming in late March and by late April they've all been harvested. Early April is usually the best time to get the fields at their peak.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
11-Jan-2007, 21:45
Then there are the Steens Mountain area along the South east Oregon.

While the low elevation areas around the Steens will be accessible in May, the loop road up the mountain won't be open. This photo (http://www.thalmann.com/images/77004.htm) was taken in early July about 2/3 of the way up the mountain, just before a locked gate at ~7000 ft. Beyond the gate, the road was still closed due to snow.

Kerry

Atul Mohidekar
12-Jan-2007, 10:45
For part of the time, I do plan to go to Crater Lake.

I have camped quite a few times at Crater Lake, actually at Diamond Lake that is a few miles away. It is quite possible to have portions of the rim drive closed due to snow. Many years back, I was there on 4th of July and half of the rim drive was closed. So do check the road conditions before going there.

Also, don't miss the scenic drive 138 from Roseburg (Hwy 5) to Crater Lake. Some of the most beautiful and less-known falls I have seen on this drive. You will need to hike up to two miles (one way) for some of these falls, but they are worth it. Most of these waterfalls are in narrow gorges surrounded by tall trees providing the perfect even lighting conditions for waterfall photography. Many times I have found the light to be quite low. If you want to capture some texture in the flowing water, you might want to carry faster film. See: http://www.idleyldlodge.com/waterfalls.html

Take mosquito repellent. Once we were almost eaten alive by throngs of giant-size mosquitoes while hiking down (and then up) from the rim drive to the lake (800 feet drop).

I second the Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park, Columbia Gorge and Silver Falls State Park suggestions. Oregon is beautiful and I miss it!

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

// Atul

naturephoto1
19-Jan-2007, 03:31
Well I purchased my Air Tickets through Delta from Allentown, PA to Portland, OR for a remarkably low fare. :eek: :D The trip will run from May 1 to May 23 and I am looking forward to getting out there. I will wait on the car rental and hope for some special price closer to the time. Thanks everyone for the input. I will try to digest your recommendations and select the locations very carefully since I will only have 3 weeks. I will spend some time with my friend Charlie Campbell and probably run out to shoot with him for some of the trip and quite possibly to some of the areas that were recommended.

Rich

Jim Jones
19-Jan-2007, 07:42
If you have a rainy day while in the Portland area, spend it in Powell's Book Store/ (http://www.powells.com/). It's huge! Another pilgramage I enjoyed was the Tillamook Cheese Factory (with free samples).

John Kasaian
19-Jan-2007, 08:51
Don't forget The Dalles! And if you get cold, you can always go to Pendleton and buy a wool shirt, and if the Tillamook cheese didn't fill you up you can hit the free samples at Harry and David's in Medford :)

chris jordan
19-Jan-2007, 15:42
There's a recycling yard along the north side of the river by Portland that has some excellent piles of garbage, paper, glass, other junk. Highly recommended.

Steve Feldman
19-Jan-2007, 17:13
Rich,

I've made photographs in Oregon several times. Having done the traditional coastline, waterfall photos, I wanted something new on my last trip, so I decided to not have an agenda. No pre-conceptions. The result was finding a subject that I never new was there. Covered bridges. There are lots of them covering the state. I strongly suggest searching the internet for the locations. Cottage Grove has several and all very accessible. IMHO the best was in a little town called Yahoots (pronounced ya-hotz). Follow the winding narrow roads. It's all the way at the end and on private property. But the owners don't mind tourists.

BTW - Ferndale is a great place, but it's in N. California.

Steve Feldman
19-Jan-2007, 17:28
Correction:

It's actually "Yachats" covered bridge in Lincoln County.

Sheldon N
19-Jan-2007, 18:24
If you're anywhere near Portland on one of the Saturday's you are here, I'd be glad to join you for a day of shooting. Send me a PM if interested.

naturephoto1
26-Feb-2007, 05:29
If you're anywhere near Portland on one of the Saturday's you are here, I'd be glad to join you for a day of shooting. Send me a PM if interested.

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still reviewing my plans for my trip. At this point, I certainly intend to shoot different places along the coast for at least a week. Want to hit the Columbia Gorge, Crater Lake (I know snow), possibly get a view of Mount Hood, and want to hit the Redwoods in the southern part of the state. I have my air tickets and have an auto reservation. But, 3+ weeks though it may seem like a lot, it really isn't.

Once I get a better idea of schedule and visiting and shooting with my friend Charlie Campbell I will let you know.

Rich

Veríssimo Dias
26-Feb-2007, 10:20
Hi Richard

I wish I was there too. Maybe next year it will be possible.
After your trip, please shre with me impressions
(verdis@netcabo.pt).

Veríssimo Dias

Vaughn
26-Feb-2007, 14:19
Rich,

If you do get down to the Redwoods, let me know if I can be of any help!

Vaughn