PDA

View Full Version : Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

Andy_5440
10-Jan-2007, 11:14
I've narrowed my camera choices down to either the SV45Ti or the SV45U with asymmetric movements. I'll be doing mainly landscapes, but also some closeup studio work. If anyone has experience with these cameras, can you give an opinion as to whether the asymmetric movements are worth it (about $700 extra)? In reality, will the asymmetric movements really enhance focusing that much that it will make a difference in both ease of use and in photo quality? Thanks to everyone for the help.

Andy

Steve Hamley
10-Jan-2007, 13:03
Worth it to me - you only buy once. I have the SV45U. It will make a difference in ease of using the back movements - generally faster to get what you want. It won't make any difference in the quality of your photos.

Steve

Hiro
10-Jan-2007, 13:42
Asymmetrical movements would be a nice feature to have although I can't afford it (i.e. this is not a user comment). FYI, here's an article by Richard Sexton if you haven't seen:
http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asymmetrical.movements.pdf

To add to the original question, how well does it work when you use both tilt and swing? I don't suppose it's yaw-free like Sinars. Does it at least help when you want to twist the plane of focus?

Rakesh Malik
10-Jan-2007, 15:16
In reality, will the asymmetric movements really enhance focusing that much that it will make a difference in both ease of use and in photo quality? Thanks to everyone for the help.

Asymmetric movements won't result in better pictures, they just make it easier to work with rear tilt and swing. Asymmetric movements are very nice to have and they do save time, but they really are a luxury rather than a necessity. They did make a few of the other workshop participants envious ;)

naturephoto1
10-Jan-2007, 15:20
Additionally the added asymetric rear movements will add to the weight as cost of the camera. If weight is of consideration for carrying the camera any distance this may be of some concern.

Rich

Doug Dolde
10-Jan-2007, 15:26
Get an Arca Swiss with orbix. It won't distort like back tilt. Very slick and much more accurate.

naturephoto1
10-Jan-2007, 15:33
Hi Doug,

As beautiful as the Arca F line cameras are, they are substantially heavier and not as packagable as the Ebonies and many other cameras if weight, portability, and size are of concern.

Rich

Jeffrey Sipress
10-Jan-2007, 15:56
Arca? Great, yes, but not the topic here. I chose the SV45U for the asymetrical tilts/swings, and the long bellows draw for my 450c lens. Still very happy with it.

Brian Ellis
10-Jan-2007, 18:07
What other people did or thought in terms of "is it worth it" is of next to no importance but FWIW I bought the SVTi, followed by the SVTe, because I don't use back movements all that often, front movements seem easier and more intuitive for me, and when I do use back movements I haven't found getting the tilts and swings right very difficult or time-consuming most of the time. It just didn't seem worth the extra cost for what I thought was a minor convenience. Obviously others think differently.

dneilson
10-Jan-2007, 21:19
I couldn't convince myself that the asymmetric movements were worth it. As most of the use is outdoors and carrying it around, I was also concerned about the extra weight of the ebony over mahogany. I went with the SV45ti and I don't regret it at all. It's a great camera.

Eric James
10-Jan-2007, 21:31
I purchased an SV45U2 for the AS tilt and bellows draw - I ended up selling it. I miss the extension (and my 450mm lens) but for my compositions AS tilt was problematic. Sure, it's easy as pie, but my foreground subjects don't tolerate the distortion inherent to rear tilt. I recommend that you give this some thought before you make your decision...

Jeffrey Sipress
10-Jan-2007, 23:22
All Ebony's are great. You don't have to use the AS reat tilt just because it's there. But it's a choice you'll have. There are still three other tilting options available to you. But the 450mm bellows was important to me, too.

Andy_5440
11-Jan-2007, 07:31
Many thanks for the replies. When I ask if the SV45U will improve the "quality" of photos, I'm wondering if the assymetrical movements improve the ability to focus so that the photos tend to be sharper than if going through the focus, tilt, refocus, etc. you need to do normally. I've read on this forum that people find focusing with the SV45U easier, but is it really more effective or improved focusing than it would be otherwise? Thanks again.

Andy

Steve Hamley
11-Jan-2007, 09:58
Andy,

It isn't more effective, if you mean sharper pictures in theory. You can set the back at any given angle with either type of movements. In most cases, the asymmetric back is faster - frequently requiring only focusing on the swing/tilt line and moving the back to proper focus. This 1-step process is easier and faster, and may result in sharper pictures because it is easier and faster, but you can achieve equally sharp pictures with either type movement.

I find asymmetric movements to be useful because of the fast set up in rapidly changing light.

If you are "front movement" person, don't bother with asymmetric movements, which are only on the rear standard in the Ebony line.

Steve

Steve Hamley
11-Jan-2007, 12:59
Andy,

Yes, I actually have both. I carry the RW45 on hikes where the weight savings is important to my advancing age on tough hikes or when for some reason I need to carry extra lenses. I probably never would have bought one, but went horse trading and ended up with it.

You won't have any issues with the RW45 rigidity.

I rarely use the RW45 personally just because I like the SV45U so much, but I also have a friend that sold an SV45U and kept a RW45 for almost the identical reason. He said the RW was lighter and did everything he wanted it to do, but that he did want a 400mm telephoto for use with it.

Rarely the front shift on the SV45U is useful if you need to be where you can't be, like in a river or an icy mountain stream.

You should be able to use lenses up to 360mm at infinity, but certainly the RW would work for up to 240mm, close up photos notwithstanding.

Steve

Rakesh Malik
12-Jan-2007, 08:28
All Ebony's are great. You don't have to use the AS reat tilt just because it's there. But it's a choice you'll have. There are still three other tilting options available to you. But the 450mm bellows was important to me, too.

That's quite true, you have front axis tilts, plus front and rear base tilts. I find that I don't have much use for either base tilt outside of increasing my extention a little bit, but the front tilts are available when you want to avoid the distortion inherent in rear tilt.

Of course, pretty much the same thing applies to swing.