PDA

View Full Version : Print Sales Overseas

Merg Ross
9-Jan-2007, 15:44
To those who sell prints overseas, what is your preferred method of payment. Also, your preferred shipper. Thanks for the help.

Ray Bidegain
9-Jan-2007, 16:50
Hi Merg:

I have sold a lot of prints overseas, and I usally use paypal. I have never had a problem and the buyer can use a credit if they have a paypal account or not. You would need a paypal account so you can send an invoice. For shipping I always use USPS, either Global Priorty or Air parcel post. Most times it arrives in about a week. If you can keep the package size down to 35 united inches and less than 4 pounds then you can use the simple green customs form.

I hope this helps.

Ray Bidegain

Lee Hamiel
9-Jan-2007, 17:39
I am going to suggest Paypal - the currency is exchanged at the daily rate at the time of payment & the shipping details are already set to go in the detail of the payment - also - you can easily ship via your paypal account & the funds come out of your paypal account which the seller would have already deposited.

For international shipments i use the paypal link to the USPS & you can generate the required customs forms.

You will need to get the customs pouches from the USPS & either order online for free or pick up at a local office.

Last point - you will need to have the forms stamped at the USPS office but it's already paid for & very easy - wish I had done it sooner.

Good Luck

Merg Ross
9-Jan-2007, 17:40
Hi Ray-

That is a big help. I will open a PayPal account. My parcel will be slightly over the 35 inch measurement; how is that measured, length + width + depth? On the claims form would it be best to declare "Photograph, No Commercial Value" as I used to do or is that no longer done?

Many thanks, I appreciate your help.

Merg Ross
9-Jan-2007, 18:06
Lee-

Thanks. I checked the USPS site and learned a great deal.

roteague
9-Jan-2007, 18:12
On the claims form would it be best to declare "Photograph, No Commercial Value" as I used to do or is that no longer done?

I wouldn't do that, unless it is a gift.

Ray Bidegain
9-Jan-2007, 18:27
you can easily ship via your paypal account & the funds come out of your paypal account which the seller would have already deposited.

Lee:

Using the USPS system through paypal includes a surcharge that goes to paypal. If you go direct to the USPS "click and ship" system the price will be the actual postage without the markup.

Ray

claudiocambon
9-Jan-2007, 19:19
Hi Ray-

That is a big help. I will open a PayPal account. My parcel will be slightly over the 35 inch measurement; how is that measured, length + width + depth? On the claims form would it be best to declare "Photograph, No Commercial Value" as I used to do or is that no longer done?

Many thanks, I appreciate your help.

I let potential buyers know that they are responsible for any and all possible customs charges. Because it is wise to insure packages, you do end up having to declare the value. I would avoid declaring it as a gift, and keep it the buyer's responsibility to deal with that eventuality.

Ted Harris
9-Jan-2007, 20:13
Merg,

PayPal is fine if you are only going to do a few transactions. More than that and you might be better off opening a merchant account to accept credit cards directly. If you have monthly transactions int he range of $1000 a month or more it will pay off. When I use PayPal the fee is now slightly more than 3% + an exchange fee for an international transaction and a not particularly attractive exchangee rate. OTOH when I do the transaction directly by accepting a credit card I pay from 2.5% to 2.8% with no surcharges or higher rates for an international transaction.

For international shipping I will only uwe USPS when the buyer insists. My shipper of preference is DHL; IMO worldwide they have the best network.