PDA

View Full Version : Why Caltars Suck

Frank Petronio
7-Jan-2007, 16:23
Because even when you put them in a mint $275+ value shutter, you still can't get $100 for them even if they are the modern multicoated version and cover 8x10.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21664

Please prove me wrong.

Sheldon N
7-Jan-2007, 16:34
Frank -

If you put it on ebay, don't let it go as a no-reserve auction. I did that with my Caltar 240mm and only got $235. Try setting it up as a Buy-it-Now for $350 and you'll eventually get a taker.

Remember, all the folks here already have their Fuji 240mm A or 12" Wide Field Ektars so Ebay may actually be a better marketplace for your lens.

Walter Calahan
7-Jan-2007, 17:26
Frank, if you want to give it away . . . grin.

Still need a bellows? I got a beater Crown Graphic coming in for parts. I'll let you know how good the bellows is when it gets here. About 4 or 5 days.

David Karp
7-Jan-2007, 22:12
Sorry for your difficulty in selling Frank. The flip side for buyers is that this is why the current Caltars are awesome. Excellent Rodenstock glass for a great price.

Maybe it will sell now that the holidays are over and everyone is done shopping. Or when tax returns start coming in.

Capocheny
8-Jan-2007, 00:24
Frank,

Some times, it's just a cyclical thing... lenses seem to be increasing in price of late!

BTW, is it one of the modern black shutters?

Good luck on selling it!

Cheers

Frank Petronio
8-Jan-2007, 06:34
yeah, the latest shutter - thanks

Brian Vuillemenot
8-Jan-2007, 11:31
They may suck for the seller, but they're great for the buyer. I just got a mint 210 on the auction site for $205, less than one fourth of the new price for an Apo-Sironar-N...

walter23
8-Jan-2007, 11:59
Yeah.

I got a Grandagon-N 90 f/6.8 and an apo-sironar N 210 f/5.6 together in basically mint condition for less than the cost of one of those lenses used, had they been stamped "rodenstock".

I didn't buy them planning to resell them, but if I do it's a fair long term rental price anyway. Sucks to be someone who bought one new and is now trying to resell, though given the ones I own are dated to around 1983 they've had a lot of good use over the years and probably have earned their keep. I didn't feel too bad for royally raping the sellers of these lenses on ebay :)