PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum easel / contact print process

Carioca
7-Jan-2007, 13:56
Hi,
I have a possibility to get a vacuum easel (not vacuum frame) that sucks the air from the perforated bottom, used for regular paper enlargers.
Has anybody tried to use this for contact processes, in my case carbon transfer? If you use a neg with a clear border overlapping the tissue size, the vacuum created should suck the neg and tissue sandwich flat?!?
If this works (I have no chance to try before I buy), could eliminate the glass and therefore 2 surfaces less to deal with dust, no Newton rings and less UV cut-out due to the regular glass plate.

Thanks for suggestions,

Sidney

Jorge Gasteazoro
7-Jan-2007, 13:59
Hi,
I have a possibility to get a vacuum easel (not vacuum frame) that sucks the air from the perforated bottom, used for regular paper enlargers.
Has anybody tried to use this for contact processes, in my case carbon transfer? If you use a neg with a clear border overlapping the tissue size, the vacuum created should suck the neg and tissue sandwich flat?!?
If this works (I have no chance to try before I buy), could eliminate the glass and therefore 2 surfaces less to deal with dust, no Newton rings and less UV cut-out due to the regular glass plate.

Thanks for suggestions,

Sidney

I would not recommend a vacuum easel for carbon transfer. The important thing is to have very good contact between the carbon sheet and the negative. I would even venture to say that a contact frame would be better than a vacuum easel.

Vacuum frames on e bay are going for very reasonable amounts, I would spend the money on this.