PDA

View Full Version : Roller Processing Equipment for 7 x 17

Rick Olson
5-Jan-2007, 16:23
Hello ...

I am looking to purchase a 7 x 17 camera this year and thinking about the options required for the film. I have been reading over information on processing in both trays and roller drums, and while I plan to try both, I am leaning towards roller processing due to limited space in my home and difficulty in having completely dark space. Based on the size requirements for the film, I am looking for the make and model numbers (if any) for the drums required. It's hard to assess the size of drums when looking at images on eBay and most people do not state the length so that I know the film will fit. I am looking to get some firm data on the drums you folks are using to process 7 x 17 film. I think I read that Sandy King uses a drum that allows for two sheets of 7 x 17 to be loaded. What make and model drum would this be? (thanks, Sandy!). Also, will the drums suggested allow full daylight processing of all steps? Finally, what type of motorized roller base will be best for the size of the drum? Do these require a variable speed for processing or does this matter?

Even though I don't have the camera yet. I want to put in place all of my darkroom needs in advance as I see stuff come up used on the web.

Thanks,
Rick

Oren Grad
5-Jan-2007, 17:12
Rick, check out this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12899).

If you search on "7x17" and "drum" or "ULF" and "drum" you'll probably find more.

Since that thread was posted, I've settled on the Jobo 3063 drum for my 7x17 negatives. This allows development of three sheets at a time. I use it on a Jobo CPA-2 processor, but it can also be used on a roller base, or probably even with manual rolling if you're sufficiently energetic and disciplined.

Rick Olson
5-Jan-2007, 20:19
Oren .. thanks for the thread. That is very helpful to me.

Rick

scott_6029
6-Jan-2007, 08:23
You may want to try seed trays. I can process up to 6 - 7 x 17 sheets at once in pyro. Develop by inspection. Less expensive and you can process more sheets at once..so less time in the darkroom. I process in a small laundry room. The seed trays help with space. I also have a jobo with drum that I have used in the past but haven't used in months as a result of tray processing...

Rick Olson
6-Jan-2007, 13:33
Thanks, Scott.

I have some seed trays ordered. Will give that a go also.

Rick

sanking
6-Jan-2007, 14:27
Thanks, Scott.

I have some seed trays ordered. Will give that a go also.

Rick

Another option is to put the film in open ended PVC tubes, 3" diamete, and hand roll them in a tray of developer. You could do four or five sheets at a time this way in a 16X20 tray. You want a fairly deep tray so that the developer will cover the PVC tubes. This will allow you to use intermittent or minimal agitation.

This method offers all of the simplicity of regular tray processing, but protects against scratching, plus it allows for minimal agitation development if you choose to go that way.

Sandy King