PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Color Kardan Reducing Lens Boards

Michael Kadillak
5-Jan-2007, 12:08
I have a Linhof 8x10 Color Karden that has a reducing accessory on the front standard to accept what looks like generic 5" lens boards (rounded corners with a notch in the bottom center) with no logo (do NOT look like they were produced by Linhof to me - I could be wrong) and I wanted to explore my options for additional lens boards.

What Linhof camera took the 5" boards and are they available used or new anywhere? The Copal opening appears to be low on the lens board. Is that correct? Would it be easier to have someone get some correct gage metal and make me a number of lens boards?

How have others solved this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

photographs42
5-Jan-2007, 12:41
Sounds like a standard 4x5 Technika IV/V lens board. Also the Wista board will work and there are many “no name boards like the one you have.
Jerome

Edit: I just re-read your post and noticed the "rounded corners" so I may be wrong about the above.

Michael Kadillak
5-Jan-2007, 12:42
Found a Linhof reference book in the basement and it appears that the reducing back took 5x7 square lens boards that are a bit larger than 5" and they had square corners not rounded. If these are unavailable it could be pretty inexpensive to have someone just cut some metal and put a notch in the bottom.

Are there any Color Karden shooters out there and what have you done to solve this equipment issue?

Thanks

Lee Hamiel
5-Jan-2007, 13:30
Michael:

Sounds like 5x7 Technika board size - I believe they are 129mm square

Lee Hamiel
5-Jan-2007, 13:36
I used to have a reducing board like you describe that was a Kardan size which is 162x162mm

I'm going to suggest it would be easier to use full size Kardan boards or a Kardan to 4x5 Technika board adaptor as these are more easily found used than the 5x7 size - I think - It's been a while since I was looking

Good luck

Michael Kadillak
5-Jan-2007, 13:49
Sounds like a standard 4x5 Technika IV/V lens board. Also the Wista board will work and there are many “no name boards like the one you have.
Jerome

Edit: I just re-read your post and noticed the "rounded corners" so I may be wrong about the above.

I tried a Standard Technika board on the adapter and it nowhere near the size necessary. I am now of the opinion that the 5x7 lens board is the solution and a bit over 5" (129mm - sounds right) is the solution.

Given the fact that 5x7 Linhof cameras are few and far between let alone lens boards and the fact that the adapter will gladly accept a generic alternative (as is mine), I am going to see if I could get some panels cut from the correct thickness metal stock and have them drilled to various shutter sizes.

Maybe Bob Salomon could provide me with the correct lens board thickness so I could at least insure that my efforts in fabricating a replacement would be coming out of the box eliminating that variable. Anyone else need these lens boards?

Cheers!

Bob Salomon
5-Jan-2007, 14:08
You need Linhof lensboard 001040. This is a flat Technika 57 board with a pilot hole. Sales are limited to the pieces left in stock. The board is 129 x 129mm. The thickness is not specified.

Since Linhof has not produced a camera that uses this board for many years it would probably be smartest to try and find a Technika 57 to 45 adapter board and use Technika 45 boards.

Michael Kadillak
5-Jan-2007, 18:01
You need Linhof lensboard 001040. This is a flat Technika 57 board with a pilot hole. Sales are limited to the pieces left in stock. The board is 129 x 129mm. The thickness is not specified.

Since Linhof has not produced a camera that uses this board for many years it would probably be smartest to try and find a Technika 57 to 45 adapter board and use Technika 45 boards.

Thanks Bob. I knew that you would fill in the gaps. I will find out if a lens board might be in stock but will probably conclude that having my own lens boards made from metal stock will probably be the most economical and expedient alternative.

Cheers!