PDA

View Full Version : copal 3 on toyo 45A

false_Aesthetic
4-Jan-2007, 14:11
Hi,

A friend offered to lend me his 240mm copal 3 lens. I own a toyo 45A. I dont have the camera with me, so I have no clue if it will fit.... will it? The lens is just MASSIVE compared to what I usually shoot with.

By the by its a Caltar II-N 5.6 240MC

Thanks

T

Ted Harris
4-Jan-2007, 14:27
The answer is yes. I had a 300mm Symmar-S MC mounted on a Technika board sitting right here so I moounted it on my AII-L and it mounted with no problem. Now functionality of such a honking huge piece of glass on the front end of a field camera is another story. Just make sure the camera is on a very sturdy tripod and all is well locked down.

false_Aesthetic
4-Jan-2007, 14:42
Thanks Ted!

Per Madsen
5-Jan-2007, 05:15
I have a Copal 3 bord for my Toyo 45AII. The shutter fits just inside of the board edges.

Ted Harris
5-Jan-2007, 07:09
Per, when mounting large lenses in #3 shutters on boards for use on field cameras there is a spacer ring (came with most lenses in #3 shutters when new) that should be mounted between the front element of the lens and the shutter. The ring allows for enough clearance of the standard and room to move the controls. Just mentioning it it in case you don't have same .... installation will make use of the lens much easier.

BrianShaw
5-Jan-2007, 08:45
I have a Copal 3 bord for my Toyo 45AII. The shutter fits just inside of the board edges.

I have a Toyo board that came with a lens in a Copal 3. The board was barely visible. I moved lens/shutter to a 6 inch Cambo board and... all of a sudden... it (the shutter) still looked big, but not quite as huge as it did on the Toyo board. The Toyo board also started looking a bit bigger, though. Interesting change of perspective, eh?

Per Madsen
5-Jan-2007, 09:55
Per, when mounting large lenses in #3 shutters on boards for use on field cameras there is a spacer ring (came with most lenses in #3 shutters when new) that should be mounted between the front element of the lens and the shutter. The ring allows for enough clearance of the standard and room to move the controls. Just mentioning it it in case you don't have same .... installation will make use of the lens much easier.

I have the ring. My comment was more seen from a geometrical point of view.

The spacer goes between the shutter and the board to give room for the control
movement.

Ted Harris
5-Jan-2007, 11:15
Yup, exactly ... .where was my brain earlier .... LOLOL.

Christopher Hansen
6-Mar-2008, 20:34
I just purchased a 240mm lens on a copal #3 shutter and it appears to be missing the ring that would go between the shutter and the front of the lens board. Does anyone know where I can find this ring? I've googled around and can't find it. Thanks.

Ted Harris
6-Mar-2008, 20:40
Call Jim at midwest, he usually has a drawer full of 'em.

Christopher Hansen
6-Mar-2008, 20:52
Thanks!

Gene McCluney
7-Mar-2008, 00:09
Heck, I have a 300mm Nikkor f5.6 in Copal 3 mounted on a Crown Graphic lensboard, and it overwhelms the board, but works just fine.

jetcode
7-Mar-2008, 02:32
Hi,

A friend offered to lend me his 240mm copal 3 lens. I own a toyo 45A. I dont have the camera with me, so I have no clue if it will fit.... will it? The lens is just MASSIVE compared to what I usually shoot with.

By the by its a Caltar II-N 5.6 240MC

Thanks

T

I use this lens on 4x10/5x7 (bet your shutter is cleaner) and love it.