PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Shutter on a 4x5 Technika?

Frank Petronio
4-Jan-2007, 06:51
Well after several floods and bad storms that slowed things down, Tim Sharkey is sending my 8 3/4 Verito which he had to mount in a #5 Ilex. I have more money invested into this lens than I expected and I darn well better enjoy it, so I suddenly realized that hanging a #5 Ilex off a 4x5 Technika might not be possible.

Maybe it might be possible with a "top-hat" lensboard and some front rise though?

Has anyone had a #5 Ilex on a 4x5 Tech before? I expect the front end can handle the weight (the Verito isn't that heavy) but the diameter of the shutter is huge.

Of course I could probably trade the Verito for a Technika but I think I will use it for a few shots first. From all the hoopla I just may have to dedicate a "big" camera (the Sinar) to using this lens and hopefully it will be worth it. But imagining it "cammed" on a Technika handheld is kind of a cool fantasy... it is an f/4.

Mark Sampson
4-Jan-2007, 06:55
Long ago (1980's) I had Marty Forscher modify a Technika board to take a #4 Ilex shutter. That was stretching the limits. I'm sure a dinner-plate size #5 will be too big without some kind of kluge. That said, I'm sure someone has done it...

Steve Hamley
4-Jan-2007, 07:51
Frank,

I beleieve S.K. Grimes have made an adapter to fit an Ilex #5 onto a small lensboard. IIRC, it was basically cone shaped with the smaller end mounting to the board. Likely pricey.

Years ago, I bought a 320mm f:5.5 Schneider Xenar in Compound #4 that had an straight-sided adapter to fit it to a smaller-than-4x5 Technika. I had this adapter remounted to a modern 4x5 Technika board, and so consider a Compound #4 as the largest shutter that can (relatively) be fit to a Technika board. Rather than using a flange or retaining ring, the edges of the straight "cylinder" have screw holes in them and it is attached directly to the board by countersunk screws whose heads are on the inside of the board.

Just remember that there's never anything wrong with a view camera that money won't fix! ;)

Steve

Salty
4-Jan-2007, 07:53
I have a Ilex 5 flange and a Linhof-Technika board in front of me, and the sleeve of the Ilex 5 flange will fit inside a Linhof board, but there would only be about 3/16" of metal left in four areas of the lensboard. The flat part of the flange that contains the screw holes naturally covers most of the lensboard, but positioned correctly, screws could be put in all four holes. I imagine it could be mounted but I don't think I'd want to try it.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
4-Jan-2007, 07:53
I had a top-hat type adapter made so I could use a Compound no. 5 with a Technika board.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Jan-2007, 08:03
Get a Wista extension lensboard (the lens normally attaches to an interchangeable disk that screws into the extension rings) and have a simple threaded adapter ring made for the Ilex 5, and that should do it.

I'm still using my 11.5" Verito on the Technika board (search, and you should turn up the thread on it).

Frank Petronio
4-Jan-2007, 09:02
Darn it, now I am still in the market for a Technika. Thanks. I think.

Jan Pedersen
4-Jan-2007, 09:19
Frank, A #5 Ilex is no problem for a Technica lens board. I have a Shen-Hao with technica lens boards and have made a custom board that takes #5 Ilex. Tim Sharkey is just finishing up my Pentac in a #5 so i had to make something that would work.
I build all my lens boards now using Aloy 6061 and this one is no exception. On a normal board i have placed a thicker piece of alloy in front, width is the same as the standard board but it is missing a little at top and bottom to make room for the release
lever and the clamp at the bottom.
The flange is mounted as normal on the front and cut on all 4 sides to match the square. I makes the wholes with a drill and a dremel. All is of course painted matt black.
I can take a photo of the custom board and email you when i get home from work.

jan

Ralph Barker
4-Jan-2007, 10:38
Frank - that just isn't going to work. Send me the lens and I'll properly dispose of it for you. ;)

Greg Lockrey
4-Jan-2007, 14:06
Darn it, now I am still in the market for a Technika. Thanks. I think.

Brian Ellis has a Master Technika for a real good price. I'm sure you saw it though.

Frank Petronio
4-Jan-2007, 15:40
Yeah, I'm just more a teen-hundredaire than a twenty-hundardaire after Xmas and kiddies.... :) Especially once I budget that trip to Marflex...

John Cahill
4-Jan-2007, 16:25
[without some kind of kluge. That said,....

What means kluge?

Frank Petronio
4-Jan-2007, 17:10
kludge -- a boondogle

John Cahill
4-Jan-2007, 21:10
kludge -- a boondogle

Ahh, thank you. In ye olden dayze, we would have called it a Rube Goldberg solution.
I thought with your first spelling it meant a really clever solution, kluge meaning clever in Cherman. I leanred a new word today.

Per Madsen
5-Jan-2007, 05:09
In danish a Storm P. solution and in the UK a Heath Robinson solution

Mark Sampson
5-Jan-2007, 06:00
I used the word "kluge" in the sense that the engineers that I've worked with for many years use the word- meaning a clumsy but expedient solution. I had no idea of its meaning in German. As a photographer, most of my 'kluge' or Rube Goldberg solutions have involved the use of gaffer tape... but a Linhof deserves something better than that.

BrianShaw
5-Jan-2007, 08:30
Mark uses the only definition I have ever heard. Boondogle means something else -- wasteful. They are not synonym terms - some, if not many, kluge jobs are quite efficient and effective.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2007, 16:18
SO just one more time, just so I know 100%...

Can you use an Ilex #5 on a flat Technika lensboard and the shutter will clear the front standard of a 4x5 Linhof Technika IV-V-Master?

I know the margin of the board will be tighter (3/16") but otherwise it should work -- or will the shutter body be even larger and pinch on the sides of the standard?

thanks

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jan-2007, 17:52

Can you use an Ilex #5 on a flat Technika lensboard and the shutter will clear the front standard of a 4x5 Linhof Technika IV-V-Master?

I know the margin of the board will be tighter (3/16") but otherwise it should work -- or will the shutter body be even larger and pinch on the sides of the standard?

thanks

No, I don't think you can do this. A Copal 3 barely fits. You need an extension lensboard to clear the standard with an Ilex 5, or some sort of custom flange that incorporates some extension.

With a Wista extension lensboard or other kind of top hat lensboard you get the extra extension, and you're okay so long as the rear cell of the lens fits inside the extension tube. If not, you may be able to do something like what SK Grimes did with my 11.5" Verito, and have a two-part flange made that screws into the rear threads of the lens.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2007, 18:41
Ka-Ching $$$!

thanks David

Andrew O'Neill
5-Jan-2007, 19:04
I have a the 2000 that I've never used. It's still in its box.

Frank Petronio
5-Jan-2007, 20:47
I'd love to buy it from you but I don't want to spend that much (I rather get cool expensive lenses).

Salty
6-Jan-2007, 07:41

thanks

I believe it can be done on a flat lensboard, however I'm not sure how much tilt you'd have with the front standard because the possibility of the shutter body hitting brackets. I have at least 6 lenses in Ilex 5 shutters and a couple of cameras that use Linhof-Technika lensboards, but I've never considered trying to fit one up.