PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Portrait Lens #5 Shutter & BSU Wins the Fiesta Bowl...SWEET!

Jon Wilson
3-Jan-2007, 21:51
This has been a great week! The Boise State Broncos win the Fiesta Bowl in the game of the century and I just received a cool portrait lens!

As to this lens, I had never seen one for sale before, I had read about it in Jay Allen's Soft Focus book, I was surprised it slipped through Jim Galli's hands (maybe he was focusing on that elusive 11x14 Deardorff he's looking for), I was pleasedd to find out after it arrived that it was a 15.5 inch lens (Seller did not know its focus length), but now, my recent acquisition has arrived....it is a 15.5 inch Ilex Portrait f5.0 Lens(aperture scale goes from f5.0 - f64) in a working #5 Ilex shutter. Need to get it mounted on a lens board before I can try it out. I hope to jerry-rig something soon.

Query....does anyone here have any experience with an Ilex Portrait Lens? If yes, what are your impressions?

Once I get this "new" lens mounted, I plan to post some comparison shots with a 14.5 inch Verito, and a 15.5 inch Velostigmat which has a diffuser ring.

Jim Noel
4-Jan-2007, 11:10
Jon,
Do you have the title of Jay Allen's book?I am unable to find it via author only.

Congratulations on getting the lens. I seriously considered it.

Jim

tonypa
4-Jan-2007, 12:56
Jon, glad you liked the lens I sent you, your right I didn't know about the focal lenght, I leave it to you enthusiasts to look up. Don't forget to look at the KALOSAT Soft Focus lens I will be listing soon (I don't know the focal length on that either). Best regards, Tony.

Jon Wilson
4-Jan-2007, 19:02
Jon,
Do you have the title of Jay Allen's book?I am unable to find it via author only.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Jay Allen's book is one which he published and its entitled "Pictorial Soft-Focus and Portrait Lens From the Past." When I purchased it off ebay from him, he sent it to me with his photography flyer. His photography business is in Indianapolis, IN and he lists his business number as (317)684-1888.
Jon