PDA

View Full Version : My First Bellows!

Jim Galli
3-Jan-2007, 18:54
Thought I would share here. Pretty tickled with my first ever bellows project. I resurrected this lovely old 8X10 Eastman Home Portrait with a new bellows. It isn't perfect but it ain't bad and it turned an old pile of firewood into a very useable camera again. I'm pleased with the result. Shown with a Conley 12" Petzval Portrait lens. I only have the 5X7 back for it. Does anyone have an 8X10 back. Same as a 2D. This camera was attractive to me because of the 7" lens board. Bigger is better of course.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/BellowsNo1_1.jpg

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/BellowsNo1_2.jpg

I used an old bargeque cover made of black rubberized cotton fabric that is absolutely light tight. Thats inside because it's ugly, and the outer layer is just thin black cotton for appearance.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Jan-2007, 18:59
It looks like a bellows! Just don't let the barbeque rust.

Dave Parker
3-Jan-2007, 19:21
Good Job Jim,

Much better than anything I have been able to come up with so far!

Dave

BrianShaw
3-Jan-2007, 19:23
Cool! Looks good. But why so much DOF in the photos??

Jim Rice
3-Jan-2007, 19:24
Too cool Jim!

Dave Parker
3-Jan-2007, 19:27
Hey, I recognize that bottle in the background, good wine!

LOL

Dave

Jim Rice
3-Jan-2007, 19:53
Throw on of those bottles in with my G-Claron.....it will mitigate the lack of corn whiskey :P

snuck
3-Jan-2007, 20:22
good job.

Robert Oliver
3-Jan-2007, 20:38
Jim,

I have an extra 8x10 back for it. It's a burke and james w/glass but I think it fits right in your kodak. It's a beautiful grey color, better than that natural wood stuff on your camera.

Let me figure out what I payed for it on feeepay.

RO

Jim Galli
3-Jan-2007, 20:55
Jim,

I have an extra 8x10 back for it. It's a burke and james w/glass but I think it fits right in your kodak. It's a beautiful grey color, better than that natural wood stuff on your camera.

Let me figure out what I payed for it on feeepay.

RO

Thanks Robert, let me know.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Jan-2007, 21:25
Very nice! I wish I were able to do that.

Shen45
3-Jan-2007, 23:26
Excellent job Jim. Can you post any links on how you made the bellows? Any tips would be appreciated as I "may" build a 10x8 camera sometime soon.

Steve

Paul Fitzgerald
3-Jan-2007, 23:43
Jim,

Lovely bellows, congrats.

Glenn,

you can.

Steve,

I'll share because everyone here knows the secret handshake. I cheat a bit because it works well EVERYTIME. :eek:

The knife is made with 3 blades, the center one is clipped off and only used to space the others apart. Epoxy would be much better then soldering. Cutting is done on a white poly cutting board. Doing the package as a panel keeps everything aligned ' to the millimeter', for tapered bellows it would be 4 panels.

Happy New Year's