PDA

View Full Version : Why are certain threads moved

Ben Calwell
2-Jan-2007, 13:51
I was wondering why my post about DSLRs a week or so ago was moved from Digital Hardware to The Lounge?
There's currently a similar post about which digital camera to buy under Digital Hardware, and I notice that it has not been moved to The Lounge.
No big deal, but I'm just curious.

Eric Brody
2-Jan-2007, 14:24
Perhaps it was moved because this is the "large format photography forum." Many of us use digital equipment, medium format equipment, and assorted other stuff. If we wish to discuss it, we do so on forums (is the plural of forums, fora?) dedicated to those other formats. I am not a moderator nor would I want that job. Just a thought.

Eric

Ralph Barker
2-Jan-2007, 19:16
Ben - officially, DSLRs are "off-topic" as they generally don't relate to LF photography. Sometimes there are extenuating aspects of a thread that it makes sense to leave it in Digital Hardware, but we try to keep the digital discussions to those related to LF photography. Then, there are the threads we don't catch, but which would be candidates for moving to the off-tiopic area.

Capocheny
2-Jan-2007, 21:03
Ben,

Seems logical to me that a discussion of digital cameras/photography be done in a digital forum... here's one such forum that you might want to investigate further:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1841

Cheers

Frank Petronio
2-Jan-2007, 21:49
Yeah but since Galbraith had his meltdown there hasn't been a decent digital forum.

Marko
3-Jan-2007, 12:12
Ben,

Seems logical to me that a discussion of digital cameras/photography be done in a digital forum... here's one such forum that you might want to investigate further:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1841

Cheers

Just be careful not to rub one of their advertisers (who also tend to participate in discussions) the wrong way or you will find your posts promptly deleted or, much worse, heavily edited by the moderators.

It happened to me once, quite recently, and will never happen again. At least not on photo.net. ;)

Marko
3-Jan-2007, 12:14
Speaking of non-LF related discussions, having an Off-Topic forum for discussions like this might be a better idea than simply dumping them to the Lounge with all the political er... stuff going on there.