PDA

View Full Version : Texas - central or west

Joe Forks
31-Dec-2006, 08:52
Anyone up for some LF in Texas? Maybe the Missions in San Antonio or travel to west Texas and shoot the Big Bend? I live in San Antonio and own a fixer upper in Marathon (no hot water yet, working on the plumbing).

I'm shooting 6x7 and 4x5. Anyone interested?

Best
Joe

Joe Forks
1-Jan-2007, 11:00
am I the only one in Texas reading this forum?

Happy New Year folks.

Best
Joe

roteague
1-Jan-2007, 11:06
There is a pretty good group from Texas on APUG, but I'm not sure if they come over here to LF or not.

Check this out: http://www.texaschurchproj.com/index.html

Andrew O'Neill
1-Jan-2007, 11:20
:) Hey, we have a Big Bend up here in Canada, too. I'll bet our Bend is bigger than Texas's Bend...everything isn't bigger in Texas.

Jeremy Moore
1-Jan-2007, 15:33
Marathon, that's where James Evans is located, correct? I'm up in Denton, TX, and would love to do a weekend shoot in BigBend.

Joe Forks
1-Jan-2007, 16:58
Jeremy,
How's the car situation? I trust you're mobile again. Yes James is in Marathon. I have not been out shooting with him yet, as it seems we're both pretty busy, or when I'm free he's busy, something like that. Jim Bones is in Alpine now, and Todd Jagger in Ft Davis, those guys I'd love to go shoot with as well.

Lets try and get out there, I'm pretty flexible, the only date I know that is out is weekend adjacent to January 14th, my daughter's 13th B-day.

I know the area pretty well, thirty years of rock hopping the trans-pecos, plus a small ranchito in the sierra aguja (adjacent to the west end of the park).

Best
Joe

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Jan-2007, 18:16
Big Bend is my favorite national park and one of my favorite photographic destinations- I love the Chisos mountains- I only wish it was closer to California!

Joe Forks
1-Jan-2007, 18:33
I hear you Bruce! It takes me 6 hours to get out there from SA!

http://logojoe.com/mamiya/star-trails-640px.jpg

Jeremy Moore
1-Jan-2007, 20:24
Yep, I've even got gps in the car now so I won't get (too) lost ;)

I'm free pretty much any weekend you'd like to go. The next semester starts January17-ish so maybe not the weekend directly following that, but anytime else works.

Joe Forks
1-Jan-2007, 22:05
I'm going to shoot you a PM since that pretty much narrows it down. I have to be in Marathon by this Thursday. Check your PM for my contact info, travel plans and schedule.

Best
Joe

Bob McCarthy
4-Jan-2007, 12:39
Eugene Singer and I are in the DFW area. We take day trips most every Saturday AM. We did the Weatherford courthouse last weekend. You can contact me at jokker.mcc@verizon.net if any would like to join us.

We lost Scott Rosenburg to the call of the PNW this year.

bob

Guther
4-Jan-2007, 15:18
I'm new to the Forum, But I live in Fort Worth... I'm allways ready to do some large format shooting.

David Millard
4-Jan-2007, 20:47
I'm new to the forum also. I live in Austin, but would be happy to travel in any compass direction to get together and do some weekend photography.

Joe Forks
8-Jan-2007, 09:10
Nice to come back to town and see more replies to this thread. I'm happy to get together with any and all LF shooters.

David you are pretty close - I think we have bad weather coming this saturday, but other than that we should find a location in between SA and Austin for some weekend shooting soon.

You guys can PM me on this forum and I'll shoot you my e-mail address.

Best
Joe

Joe Forks
10-Mar-2007, 06:41
If any of you guys find yourself in Marathon Texas or Big Bend National Park this week (Spring Break for us) give me call. I've got permission to goof off and burn film for a day.
I'm thinking about heading into the park to shoot the Giant Daggers (Yucca faxoniana) at Dagger Flats.

AT&T / Cingular cell phones work in Marathon, my number is 210-860-0594

Joe Forks
20-Mar-2007, 09:43
I'm new to the forum also. I live in Austin, but would be happy to travel in any compass direction to get together and do some weekend photography.

Dave,
It was a fun half day at Dagger Flats. I hope you got a keeper or two. I'm only partially pleased with my take but here are two I was OK with from the Mamiya w/ Konica IR:

http://logojoe.com/mamiya/yucca_faxonianab.jpg
http://logojoe.com/mamiya/yucca_faxoniana3.jpg

I am going back when those stalks are fully open.

Best
Joe

wclavey
7-Jun-2007, 16:05
Looking through old threads...

I'm in far west Houston (Katy) and I've been shooting 6x6 forever (or about 45 years) and 4x5 for the last 1.5 years. I would be up for any opportunity to shoot with someone who is willing to share LF insights, wisdom, etc. and is in the Houston area.

Jorge Gasteazoro
8-Jun-2007, 07:56
Looking through old threads...

I'm in far west Houston (Katy) and I've been shooting 6x6 forever (or about 45 years) and 4x5 for the last 1.5 years. I would be up for any opportunity to shoot with someone who is willing to share LF insights, wisdom, etc. and is in the Houston area.

Clay Harmon lives in Kingwood, a bit far from you but his expertise and photographs would be well worth the trip, plus he is a really nice guy! Don't forget, you can visit the MFA, they have a great photographic collection, also there is the John Cleary Gallery and I beleive there is a "new" gallery in Houston as well, Clay should know since he is represented by them.

If you are taking a trip to the Dallas area, don't forget to contact Lee, Jeremy, Matthew and Mike...they are all very nice guys and would probably talk your ear off ... :) and of course visit the Afterimage Gallery.

Have fun.