PDA

View Full Version : Large Format E-mail List?? and San Francisco Area Arca-Swiss users??

michael carboy
14-May-2000, 17:56
Hi,

Two quick questions: First, is anyone aware of an e-mail list for large format p hotography? Secondly, I am interested in finding a (more??) Bay Area residents who are Arca-Swiss 4-5 users. I am getting ready to make the jump and wanted to better explore the Arca-Swiss line. So far, I remain undecided between monorai l or field camera design. Since I don't plan on serious backpacking, I think I can keep light monorails as an option. Since my Arca-Swiss ball head has been t errific, I might as well check their 4x4's also.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards, Michael

Ted Brownlee`
15-May-2000, 22:00
Michael,

I use an Arca Swiss 4 x 5 for outdoor work & am fairly happy with it. I have an older Basic "B", with base tilts, and a 40cm monorail. I use a Zone VI tripod with a Kirk Enterprises ball head. The main thing that I notice is that the monorail allows some twist flexing. It has a shorter profile than the newer ones and is therefore, more flexible. I have been looking at upgrading, but I'm also an engineer & can design modifications for far less than replacement cost.

I have made a rail support from a length of rectangular tube 3/4" x 1 1/2" that seems to stiffen up the rail without adding a lot of weight. The newer designs have a taller monorail that may improve the stiffness. Other than my previous comments, I am very much a fan of Arca Swiss cameras and would not hesitate to buy another.

~Ted Livermore, CA

QT Luong
15-May-2000, 23:53
This forum can work as a mailing list. Go to the bottom of the QA main page, and follow the link "click here to add an alert". Then the postings will be emailed to you. The only difference with a mailing list is that to post, you have to go to the web page instead of just emailing.