PDA

View Full Version : Good labs in Mexico?

claudiocambon
27-Dec-2006, 14:51
Any recommendations on processing 4x5" color and b+w neg film in Mexico, anywhere in the country? Does Kodak still use the Q-lab designation to indicate labs that perform consistently to their standards, or is there some other applicable moniker to look for? I may be there for a bit, and it would be nice to process as I work, as opposed to sitting on that huge pile of exposed but undeveloped film, always nervewracking to me. Thanks in advance for any info!

Claudio
www.claudiocambon.com

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Dec-2006, 16:21
Where in Mexico? I am pleased with Navarro in Guadalajara.
http://www.fotograficanavarro.com/
They have processed 4x5 and 5x7 color negative and transparency for me. Their website says they do B&W, but I have no knowledge of their quality as I have my own darkroom.

I have been less happy with the Kodak Q-lab http://www.laboratoriosjulio.com

claudiocambon
28-Dec-2006, 08:50
Thanks, Jason.

The site now says they only do up to 220 for C-41. Have they reduced their services, or is it just that they don't list a service that not everyone asks for? I just want to make sure that they do it on premises, and don't farm it out to anyone else.

If anyone has recommendations for further South, in Mexico City or elsewhere, that would be very helpful as well. Thanks!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
28-Dec-2006, 09:03
Claudio,

I haven't developed C41 with them for quite a while, so this may have changed. They developed some 4x5 E6 for me a few weeks ago, so I know they are still doing this. Anyhow, if they do LF color in Guadalajara I am sure you can easily find a decent lab in the DF, but I have no experience there.

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 10:12
Why don't you just FedEx the film back to your regular lab?

claudiocambon
28-Dec-2006, 11:10
Why don't you just FedEx the film back to your regular lab?

that was my first impulse, especially becaise I am very used to A+I here in LA, but isn't there an issue with FedEx frying the film with x-rays on international air shipments? I suppose that is a whole other topic, but any input on that as well would be great. Thanks!

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 11:32
that was my first impulse, especially becaise I am very used to A+I here in LA, but isn't there an issue with FedEx frying the film with x-rays on international air shipments? I suppose that is a whole other topic, but any input on that as well would be great. Thanks!

Not that I am aware of. FedEx has their own airplanes, so cargo generally doesn't need to be x-rayed. I generally just bring my film back with me, so I don't have any personal experience. However, living in Hawaii, I use the Post Office and FedEx to send my film to Calypso (in Santa Cruz) all the time.

claudiocambon
28-Dec-2006, 12:44
Not that I am aware of. FedEx has their own airplanes, so cargo generally doesn't need to be x-rayed. I generally just bring my film back with me, so I don't have any personal experience. However, living in Hawaii, I use the Post Office and FedEx to send my film to Calypso (in Santa Cruz) all the time.

Not for the sake of being picky, but to be safe, would you know if FedEx is different internationally than it is nationally? I am concerned that post 9/11, or even in the context of "the war on drugs" that cargo is now subject to greater scrutiny, especially from Latin America. Pre 9/11 I shipped undeveloped film internationally on FedEx, and it was fine. I think I even wrote "do not x-ray, contains undeveloped film" on the box. I seem to think that may no longer be the case.

Or perhaps I should repost the question under another subject heading?

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 13:07
Not for the sake of being picky, but to be safe, would you know if FedEx is different internationally than it is nationally? I am concerned that post 9/11, or even in the context of "the war on drugs" that cargo is now subject to greater scrutiny, especially from Latin America. Pre 9/11 I shipped undeveloped film internationally on FedEx, and it was fine. I think I even wrote "do not x-ray, contains undeveloped film" on the box. I seem to think that may no longer be the case.

Or perhaps I should repost the question under another subject heading?

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with it. The general consensus seems to be that FedEx doesn't xray their cargo - can you imagine the financial burden that would add (not that the US government would care). Keep in mind that you need a completed CF3299 "Declaration of Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles." You should also state on the air waybill and other shipping documents that the contents are personal effects.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
28-Dec-2006, 13:28
The problem is not Fed-Ex themselves but customs. I don't know how American Customs Officers behave, but can tell you from personal experience that Mexican Customs Officers like to randomly open packages labled "Film". Unfortunatly Fed-Ex doesn't seem to have any control (or perhaps care) what happens to goods once in Customs.

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 13:30
The problem is not Fed-Ex themselves but customs. I don't know how American Customs Officers behave, but can tell you from personal experience that Mexican Customs Officers like to randomly open packages labled "Film". Unfortunatly Fed-Ex doesn't seem to have any control (or perhaps care) what happens to goods once in Customs.

True, but goods generally don't need to go through the same customs routine when they are being exported as they do when they are imported. In this case, he would export the film from Mexico, and import it into the US.

claudiocambon
28-Dec-2006, 14:02

Does this affect outgoing packages from Mexico, or only inbound ones?

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 14:46
Jorge would probably be the one to ask on this question.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
28-Dec-2006, 15:15
Sorry, my point was unclear; your film would of course be uneffected by the vagaries of Mexican customs, but would be at the mercy of US customs. I can't say anything about their behavior, although Fed-Ex may (???) have more control over how packages are treated in the US than in Mexico.

roteague
28-Dec-2006, 15:45
Sorry, my point was unclear; your film would of course be uneffected by the vagaries of Mexican customs, but would be at the mercy of US customs. I can't say anything about their behavior, although Fed-Ex may (???) have more control over how packages are treated in the US than in Mexico.

I doubt it would be an issue, as long as the CF3299 form is attached - the volume of packages is just too much to open, unless there is a reason to do so. I've been told that Calypso, and other processors do a lot of business with people outside the US. Again, I have no direct experience, but I probably would go this route myself.

claudiocambon
29-Dec-2006, 18:56
In fact I emailed Jorge, who said that he had to "train" UPS not to open his film boxes, and that he still puts notices everywhere in his packages not to open them. He also said that via FedEx packages and film boxes inside would in fact be opened in Mexico. :eek:

My experience in shipping roll film from Bangladesh via FedEx to the US was that they did a hand inspection in front of me, and then sealed the box.

At any rate, if anyone has other lab suggestions for Mexico, or proven, safe shipping ideas for getting it back to the lab here in the US, they are greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to everyone. May it be peaceful and filled with good new photographs!

Claudio
www.claudiocambon.com