PDA

View Full Version : Tape to mark f stops on shutter

Ed Richards
22-Dec-2006, 22:32
Just got a great Fuji 135 in a Copal Press shutter. The only problem is that the f stops are marked on the front and are almost impossible to see under the front edge of the lens. There is a follower arrow on the side - I would like to make a duplicate scale for the side, but I am curious as to what sort of tape would stay on and not damage the shutter. Same issue for putting a zone scale on a Pentax spot meter.

Capocheny
23-Dec-2006, 03:24
Ed,

If you go to a Staples Office Supply store they have these Dymo Thermo label makers. They produce a label that's fairly narrow and will fit around the shutter with no problems.

To hold it in place... I used a piece of clear packing tape (scotch tape.) It's what's holding the Zone VI label on my digital spotmeter in place. When it gets to mucked up... just redo the label.

Alternatively, look in the laminating section of the store. There are items there that will work as well.

Cheers

Jim Jones
23-Dec-2006, 07:32
Art supply stores should have durable white tape. I've found many other uses for it, too. Some artist's tape. like drafting tape and masking tape, is designed for easy removal, though.

otzi
23-Dec-2006, 19:31
I use a waterproof (band aid type) tape from the chemists. Ectoplast branded, here any way. There are a whole range of "ectoplast' tapes but the waterproof one is the one. White and writable with biro (ball pen). Sticks like the preverbial and stays for years. Comes in wide rolls but tearable (trimable) to any width as it's a woven product.

Glenn Thoreson
23-Dec-2006, 19:42
Adhesive tape from the drug store.

C. D. Keth
24-Dec-2006, 22:53
White camera tape. Essentially permanent unless you intentionally remove it and it leaves no residue.

Ed Richards
25-Dec-2006, 06:44
> White camera tape?

Never heard of this. Is it like gaffer tape?

Leonard Evens
25-Dec-2006, 06:56
Any art supply store should carry what is called "Artist's Tape". It comes in a variety of widths including 1/4 inch. It sticks well to many surfaces but comes off with little or no residue. I use it all the time with my photographic equipment.

C. D. Keth
25-Dec-2006, 12:04
> White camera tape?

Never heard of this. Is it like gaffer tape?

It's usually the name for narrower cloth gaff tape like this: http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/cameratape.html

(http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/cameratape.html)

Andy Eads
25-Dec-2006, 16:11
It isn't pretty but the freezer tape sold by 3M is really good. The adhesive leave little residue even after a few years and the paper itself is 100% rag so it has "wet strength". It is repositionable, easily trimmed and readily available at your local grocery store. Good shootin'!