PDA

View Full Version : Flashbulbs: Precious Commodity or Use Them While You Can?

toadie1977
22-Dec-2006, 10:59
First off, I am relatively new to photography. My uncle, who was a professional photographer from the late 1940s to the early 90s, recently gave me MANY old cameras. On top of that, I have 4 old Polaroid Land cameras which use pack film. These polaroid cameras are actually my favorites. I've taken hundreds of shots with them. I have a flash for one of them that takes flashbulbs, so out of curiosity I looked on ebay recently and found an auction for 144 bulbs. I got them for $18 (which I think is a steal, correct me if I'm wrong).

My question is this, though... now that I have them in hand, do I save them as a precious and quickly disappearing commodity, or do I use them and have fun?

Ralph Barker
22-Dec-2006, 16:49
A lot depends, I think, on the type(s) of bulbs you have. There are numerous applications for which the larger bulbs are still an excellent lighting choice - particularly if used with a hybrid triggering scheme. The trick may be to understand the characteristics and limitations, so they're used appropriately.

I just love the smell of flash powder in the morning. ;)

Glenn Thoreson
22-Dec-2006, 17:49
The Polaroids use M-2, M3 and M5 bulbs. There are still lots of them around. Not very popular, they go for decent prices if you're patient. I have over 1,000 M-3s in my stash because they're cheap. Use 'em. That's what they were made for, after all. :)

Paul Ewins
22-Dec-2006, 18:12
I've got a big stash of bulbs and the only ones I'd be wary of using carelessly are the focal plane bulbs, like the no 6 or PF24, and the large screw base bulbs. M2 and M3 and no 5 are still readily available on eBay. I use the various no 5 bulbs with adapters in my Speed Graphic flash so that I don't have to use my few large bulbs. They vignette a little but otherwise produce enough power for people shots.

I've got a lot of the tiny AG1 and AG3 and I'm yet to find a use for them. Maybe if I get desperate I will try making a fitting to fire multiple bulbs in the graflex flash. I've also got a few flash cubes and flip flashes and can't think of a good use for those either.