PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Field Question

John A McDonald
21-Dec-2006, 19:46
For those using the new Arca Swiss Field camera with 141mm back, a question. What function carrier is at the rear? I just purchased a Misura, and want the opportunity to obtain more conventional movement without using the tripod/ball head. I am wondering if I can simply (not cheaply I'm sure) purchase a F051001 or 052001 function carrier to replace the simplified Misura function carrier (lacking shifts and tilts). Thanks for info.

Doug Dolde
21-Dec-2006, 20:48
I have a 141mm Field but can't tell you the number. It does have rise and L+R shift though in the rear (plus base tilt).

Eric Brody
21-Dec-2006, 20:59
You might want to direct your question to the Arca Swiss US representative, Diane Graham-Henry, 422 W Belden, Chicago, IL 60614, phone 773-248-2513 E-Mail: arcaswiss@aol.com.

Eric

John A McDonald
22-Dec-2006, 10:09
thanks!

John A McDonald
2-Jan-2007, 00:04
As far as I can tell, the Misura rear function carrier is not shown in the Arca Swiss catalog. It has rise and shift, but not tilt, and according to Diane Graham-Henry in a most helpful phone conversation, was designed to bring the rear format frame into alignment with the 6x9 front function carrier and format frame. I will post a full review later.

Emmanuel BIGLER
2-Jan-2007, 09:17
You can use the standard rear function carrier of the F-classic or the (discontinued) F-basic or Discovery series.

To the best of my knowledge, at least for all combinations that are actually usable:
All F-classic, basic or metric function carriers fit all rails either old-Oschwald or F-line type I or type II (the current one) ;
All format frames will slide/clamp into the dovetail of all function carriers.
The rail used in the misura is similar to all F-line type II rails except for its length of 15+17 cm foldable.
The 141 rear frame and graflok holder of the misura is identical to the ones used on the "field" 110-141 and "standard" 141-141 4"x5" cameras.

So actually you have a lot of weird combinations to play with ;-)
You can fit a "metric" format frame onto a "basic" or a "classic" function carrier.
You could even fit a "monolith" frame on a "classic" carrier but you would loose all rise capabilities ;-)

The same function carriers are used from the 6x9 cm to the 8x10" within the same line of cameras (basic, classic, metric or monolith) The item did not change when the 141mm standards became... standard for 4x5".
As read in the Arca Swiss "old" pdf catalogue page 15 of 22
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ARCA.pdf

Item numbers are :
052001 Function carrier F -classic rear
051001 Function carrier F -basic rear similar to the Discovery's except for the knobs.

The front function carrier 05[1-2]000 is very similar except to the rear 05[1-2]001 for a left/right symmetry.

Adding such a function carrier at the rear of your misura, you'll loose some rise capability with respect to the misura but all F-field users live happy with this minor inconvenience (which was even bigger with the previous 110 to 171 "field" model)

John A McDonald
2-Jan-2007, 20:42
Thank you, Professor Bigler. John McDonald (also a professor - perhaps we gravitate to Arca Swiss!).

Songyun
2-Jan-2007, 21:12
John, If you are going to use F-basic carrier, the back frame will move up a little bit, so you have to rise the front frame to match the height. In this case, Orbix will not perform as it advertised.
I was thinking about a compact field monorail. I don't know how big the new 141mm F-classic compare to Misura. On a F-classic, I would like to have a Metric front( I like the geared front rise.) and the Orbix.
Which one is bulky, Sinar F2 or new F-classic?

Emmanuel BIGLER
3-Jan-2007, 11:52
I don't know how big the new 141mm F-classic compare to Misura.
141 rear format frames are the same for all 141 models.
Only the rear function carriers differ between a classic, a metric or a misura.
You can of course combine the front part of a metric with the rear part of a classic.

The 110-141 leather bellows are the same for classic-field & metric-field and same as the misura's.

Thank you.... John McDonald
You are welcome. Ah ! the pleasure of making a direct arcaphile connection between Besançon, France and Reno, Nevada ;-)

Jack Flesher
3-Jan-2007, 13:21
Which one is bulky, Sinar F2 or new F-classic?

The A/S F-Line is WAYYYY more compact than the Sinar F2... In fact, it is not a whole lot larger than a typical field folder when both standards are slid onto one 150mm rail (or the folding rail) and the rail is removed from the base. FWIW this is basically how I carry my F-Metric, leaving the base and second rail clamped in the tripod head. Also makes set-up lightning fast :)

Songyun
17-Feb-2007, 13:22
If you want to have some rear tilt, maybe you can consider add orbix on rear frame. I guess this might work.

evan clarke
18-Feb-2007, 08:05
You can of course combine the front part of a metric with the rear part of a classic.

The 110-141 leather bellows are the same for classic-field & metric-field and same as the misura's.

You are welcome. Ah ! the pleasure of making a direct arcaphile connection between Besançon, France and Reno, Nevada ;-)

I have a fair contingent of Arca cameras. My new 4x5 is an F metric classis with micrometric Orbix. I went this way because there are front accessories you can't use on the 110 front frame (Technika adapter f.i.) This camera is marvelously compact and geared all the way around. The optical bench is more compact, faster to use and more rigid than the folding rail. I have the same camera in the 171 and thought I was in love..the new camera has displaced the 171 completely...Evan Clarke

evan clarke
18-Feb-2007, 08:06

I have a fair contingent of Arca cameras. My new 4x5 is an F metric classic with micrometric Orbix. I went this way because there are front accessories you can't use on the 110 front frame (Technika adapter f.i.). This camera is marvelously compact and geared all the way around. The optical bench is more compact, faster to use and more rigid than the folding rail. I have the same camera in the 171 and thought I was in love..the new camera has displaced the 171 completely...Evan Clarke