PDA

View Full Version : Lock-tite on cable releases

Ed Richards
21-Dec-2006, 12:10
I am constantly losing cable releases which come unscrewed as I use the camera. I am considering putting lock-tite (the removable version) on the socket, but I thought I would check for other solutions.

Kirk Gittings
21-Dec-2006, 12:35
I've been using that since Picker recomended it 20+ years ago. Works like a charm.

steve simmons
21-Dec-2006, 12:41
"I am considering putting lock-tite (the removable version)"

isn't that a contradiction?!

:)

steve simmons

David Karp
21-Dec-2006, 13:06
Hi again Steve! Nope, there is a version that is reversible. That is, it is not a permanent bond. I can't remember what color it is, blue maybe (to distinguish it from the permanent stuff, which I think is red). The reversible stuff works great for lots of things. I never thought about using it on a cable release though. (Just in case you were not joking.)

chris jordan
21-Dec-2006, 13:16
Yep, my favorite 15-year-old cable release, one of those big expensive ones with a fat brass plunger that was just hitting its stride, is lying lost among the ruins somewhere outside of New Orleans. Curse those dumb v-shaped threads that don't hold worth a turd!

~cj

Ed Richards
21-Dec-2006, 16:03
Chris,

It has several of mine to keep it company.:-)

David Karp
21-Dec-2006, 16:14
Funny, they don't have to fall off of a camera or lens either. My 5 year old really thinks that cable releases are cool, so I gave him one. Last summer, he lost it in Yosemite. Maybe it missed some of its old companions that I left up there, and bailed out of his pocket!

Turner Reich
21-Dec-2006, 16:41
It sounds like I can find a cable release in the places I go to by just looking on the ground! Loctite sounds like a good idea though, I'll have to go back and re-read my Picker newsletters. I must have missed that one.

Jim Rice
21-Dec-2006, 16:58
Damn, now I know I need to start looking down. Which parts of New Orleans? :P

Keith Pitman
21-Dec-2006, 18:17
I found someone's marked "159" (Wollensak?) along Glacier Creek in Rocky Mountain NP last summer. It's a cheap one, but I like it.

Capocheny
21-Dec-2006, 21:12
Ed,

Certainly sounds like a viable solution to me... I'll have to give it a try too!

Nothing worse than trying to find one after lining up the shot and looking into the bag only to come out empty-handed!

I always carry a couple of extras in my bag... just in case!

Cheers

John Berry
21-Dec-2006, 21:15
Locktite WILL get down the wrong side at one point. The reusable is the blue. Vibratite is painted on like nail polish and let dry beforehand. Here's a little trick I use. I take it off the lens.