PDA

View Full Version : On bulbs for an enlarger

Vick Ko
20-Dec-2006, 14:55
Are there prior darkroom users who have tried various bulbs for enlargers?

If yes, what are good criteria for enlarger bulbs? I have a Focomat IIc, it is now all together but I don't have a bulb. The recommended bulb is on order, but what's so special about that?

I see many types of bulbs at the hardware store, and the IIc has a regular bulb socket. There are even daylight bulbs, which claim to have a better match to sunlight. It sounds like it would do a good job for BW, and perhaps a superb job for colour (if I ever get insane enough to do colour at home).

regards
Vick

Ash
20-Dec-2006, 15:31
Go jump over to www.RangeFinderForum.com as someone might help (a focomat IIc is an old Leica projector yes?) but as far as I know you want a low wattage bulb that has the text around the rim, not on the top of the bulb

Mark Sampson
21-Dec-2006, 08:01
Most condenser enlargers use one of three bulbs: a #211 @ 75 watts, a #212 @150 watts, or a #213 @ 250 watts. As the previous poster said, the ID is printed around the base of the lamp so the numbers don't appear in negative on your prints. My guess for a 35mm enlarger is that a #211 would be fine. The #212 is standard for a 4x5 Omega; a #213 is way too much for most appplications.

Donald Brewster
21-Dec-2006, 12:43
http://www.khbphotografix.com/

They seem to have bulbs for old Leica enlargers . . . . for a price, of course.