PDA

View Full Version : Tripod replacement

butterfly
20-Dec-2006, 12:56
Hi everyone, seasons greetings.

Well, I am moving out of studio into the world with large format 4x5, and have an Ebony 45SU on order (my very own 50th birthday present!). Having sold the Arca, it's time to think of a tripod before I sell my current one.

I have a Gitzo G1504 aluminium at the moment, but it is so heavy that the other week venturing out with it, even carrying it a few hundred yards strained my arm so bad it's still recovering (wimp). I have an Arca B2 which I think will be fine for the Ebony, but what I would like is a tripod, obviously lighter in weight, so my question is, what is the lightest I can get away with and still have a stable set up? The Ebony weighs 2.6Kg and the Arca head 1.7KG and the lens another 1Kg, totaling 5.3 KG.

I need one that isn't too long collapsed, at least able to strap it to a rucksack. The Gitzos CF are great but so expensive, whilst the Manfrotto ones almost all don't seem to be specified for the load, yet some of them look to be well made and strong? Are there any alternatives to the usual Gitzo CF recommendations?

Opinions and advice welcome.

Regards

Steve

Eric Biggerstaff
20-Dec-2006, 13:07
I would look at the Giottos line of tripods. More features than the Gitzo, come in CF and the Lava series, appear to be well made and are far less expensive then the Gitzo. There are many models to choose from and may fit your budget better.

They are distributed by HP Marketing and you can check them out on the HP Marketing site or the Giottos site.

I use the Gitzo CF and it is a great tripod but if I had known about the Giottos that would of been a serious contender.

Hope that helps.

Eric

stompyq
20-Dec-2006, 16:06
I have a velbon EL 640 tripod. I use it with a graf studioball for my wista 4x5 as well as my digital SLR's. It's about half the cost of a comparable Gitzo (i must have paid $260 new) and came with a carring case and pan and tilt head. It's very light and has not given me a single issue in over 2 1/2 years of constant use. I think it came with a life time warrenty too. You might also want to consider the Feisol CF line. I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you are considering Gitzo then i would wait a few months untill the new models are released (you can pre order though).

Personally when i was shopping for tripods i got comments about how i eventually would buy a gitzo and that i am wasteing money. Well up to now no regrets with my Velbon.

Dave_B
20-Dec-2006, 17:30
Steve:
You bought an Ebony because you wanted the best camera you could afford. It was a present to yourself for a lifetime of hard work and accomplishment. No way you "needed" the camera. You "wanted" it. Why would you now want to save a couple of hundred dollars on a cheap tripod? Your Ebony will be new, very nice and very expensive. Buy a tripod that will allow your camera to work as well as it can. Go for the Gitzo 1325 CF tripod and a Manfrotto 405 head. Anything else will bother you and you'll eventually buy the Gitzo anyway. Save the $$$ you will spend on the cheap stuff and get what you really want. Ask yourself the following question. If you did not buy it and you found out that production had been discontinued and you were never going to be able to buy a Gitzo tripod, how would you feel? My prediction, angry with yourself for not having bought it when you could. If that is the answer, buy it now and enjoy using it for the rest of your life. The Ebony/Gitzo/Manfrotto combination will make you smile every time you think about the fact that it is yours and that you earned it.
Cheers,
Dave B.

p.s. I just turned 55 and for my "double nickels" birthday I bought an Ebony as well. I can't wait to see how it will look on my Gitzo/Manfrotto tripod/head. We're all going to be dead for a long time. Might as well enjoy life while we can.

Amund BLix Aaeng
20-Dec-2006, 18:18
While maybe not as compact as you want, a Berlebach (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=302815&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) 3032 is the best tripod I`ve ever used.. Don`t even need a tripod head :)

I haven`t used my Gitzo 1325 since I got it. If you`re considering a 1325, you must modify it with spikes or it will wobble on top of everything but solid ground.

Deniz Merdanogullari
20-Dec-2006, 18:25
I have a Berlebach 3022 in custom dark brown and height marks on the legs. It supports my 8x10 tachihara with big heavy lenses and does a great job on both smooth and rought surfaces.
It is pleasent to hold in the cold and compliments the camera nicely. sure its not feather light or easy to pack but not so bad that i dont take it with me.
having said that, it may be too much of a tripod for a 4x5 setup. I never use it with my 4x5 ikeda. Strictly a 8x10 tripod.

Michael Graves
20-Dec-2006, 18:58
Nice to see the comments on the Berlebach. I've been seriously considering one of those. I was interested in the 3042 model. Thanks for posing the question, Steve. You helped us both.

Henry Ambrose
20-Dec-2006, 20:31
I have a little 503 Hakuba carbon fiber tripod that came complete with 3 way head for under $300. I've shot my 8x10 off it but that's pushing it a bit. I regularly use it for my SW45 Ebony which is the baby brother to your camera. Its completely good for a 4x5 field camera. You might challenge it a bit in a high wind and/or at maximum extension but unless you do that all the time it'll be a fine choice. The Hakuba tripod and head weighs 3.9 pounds total and will support your camera nicely for most useage.

I wouldn't bother with your Arca head for as much as it weighs much less that its a ball head - which if you come from the studio you're gonna hate pretty quick. (I could be wrong but you couldn't chase me down and make me use one)

Here it is:
http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_products3.asp?cc=10&cs=110

Greg Lockrey
20-Dec-2006, 20:57
I have a Feisol 3471 that will fill your needs and at half the cost of a comparable Gitzo. They are great people to deal with and will have your tripod (with carrying bag) plus any add on featutres that you like in about 4 days. At least that's how long it took to get mine to Michigan. The 3471 is a 4 section with the largest leg 37mm in diameter. Folds up very compactly and is extremely light weight. Don't let anti Chinese prejudice influence your desision. They will eventually own the world ;) I remember when I got my first Gitzo on how the French were the new upstarts too. BTW mine holds a Sinar P that is married to a Canon 5D.

Sheldon N
20-Dec-2006, 20:59
I've done the tripod upgrade path myself recently as well - Bogen to Feisol (smaller CT-3301) to Gitzo 1325. Save yourself the trouble and get the Gitzo 1325. It really is a great tripod, and with a little hunting can be found at a reasonable cost ($425-450 used).

A good source is the Nikonians forum - they're all Gitzo nuts and they have an active buy/sell forum.

Brian Ellis
20-Dec-2006, 22:03
I'd suggest that you look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (Google for their web site). I have one, the model # of which escapes me, that cost about $200 including shipping from Taiwan. It comes with padded legs and a carrying case. They make several models, mine is rated at a load of about 15 pounds. It's very light, about 2 1/2 pounds I think. It's not the tripod for photographing in strong winds but for normal usage mine has been fine.

I have to disagree with Sheldon about the relative merits of the 1325 and the Feisol. I've owned a 1325 for years and I prefer the Feisol because of the weight savings and the fact that the collars are much easier on the hands than the Gitzo. I also appreciate the padded legs in the cold. Since I acquired the Feisol about two months ago I haven't used the 1325 except for architecture and even that hasn't been because of the tripod as such, it's because I like a geared head for architecture and I have a geared head mounted on the 1325. My only complaint with the Feisol is that it's a little on the short side for me, I'm 5' 11" and I have to bend over a little to focus and compose. However, I think they make longer ones than the model I have. In any event, I think the Feisols are worth a look for their combination of low weight and low price.

Greg Lockrey
20-Dec-2006, 22:13
My god, Brian we actually agree on something. :) The Feisol 3471 is well over 6 feet high with the add on column when fully extended. I don't have the figures in front of me but you can get those on the site. I think it is www.feisol.com . Most of the time I use only 3 extentions and barely have the column raised for normal (eye level) work and I am 5'11" tall. With all four extensions out, the plate is almost eye level. and without the column, you can get the camera down to about 6" or so.

riooso
20-Dec-2006, 23:05
I absolutely love my Berlebach 2042. It has a leveling head with a bubbled center column. I put a Bogen 577 quick release plate on it, about $300 with everything. My total weight is 7 pounds and this tripod is solid as a rock even with the column up part way. See if you can borrow one and try to go headless, I do not miss mine. You would not want to hike with it but for a short walk from the auto, it is perfect. I am looking at a carbon fiber for hiking. I have borrowed some of the carbons out and all I can say is they are a necessary evil. They are not as solid as the 2042. Your usage will dictate what you will do. Good luck.

R

Sheldon N
20-Dec-2006, 23:37
I'd suggest that you look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (Google for their web site). I have one, the model # of which escapes me, that cost about $200 including shipping from Taiwan. It comes with padded legs and a carrying case. They make several models, mine is rated at a load of about 15 pounds. It's very light, about 2 1/2 pounds I think. It's not the tripod for photographing in strong winds but for normal usage mine has been fine.

I have to disagree with Sheldon about the relative merits of the 1325 and the Feisol. I've owned a 1325 for years and I prefer the Feisol because of the weight savings and the fact that the collars are much easier on the hands than the Gitzo. I also appreciate the padded legs in the cold. Since I acquired the Feisol about two months ago I haven't used the 1325 except for architecture and even that hasn't been because of the tripod as such, it's because I like a geared head for architecture and I have a geared head mounted on the 1325. My only complaint with the Feisol is that it's a little on the short side for me, I'm 5' 11" and I have to bend over a little to focus and compose. However, I think they make longer ones than the model I have. In any event, I think the Feisols are worth a look for their combination of low weight and low price.

I don't disagree with you on the relative merits of the Feisol vs. Gitzo debate. You are definitely correct that the Feisol is lighter and easier on the hands - and it's a much better value than the Gitzo. It's definetely a tripod to consider if you are after a reasonable price and/or light weight.

For me it was a question of which was a greater priority. I couldn't afford both and would rather than my one tripod be sturdy enough for all situations, even if it was at the expense of added weight. I also really have been enjoying the added height of the 1325, having never owned a tripod that reached eye level before (6'1").

You actually have the best of both worlds, because you can always pull out the 1325 if you need the extra stability, and can use the Feisol the rest of the time when weight/convenience is a priority.

For the sake of the original poster, Brian and I are referring to the mid-sized three section Feisol (CT-3301) that we each own(ed) which is comparable to a Gitzo 1227/1257. Greg is referring to the larger series four section Feisol (CT-3471) which is comparable to a Gitzo 1348.

I don't know if I'd choose to pair the smaller Feisol with an Acra Swiss B2 head. The Arca head literally weighs half a pound more than the Feisol 3301 legs. The larger CT-3471 Feisol (~$350) would be a better match with the Arca Swiss B2 head and would save a fair bit of money compared to a new Gitzo 1348 or 1325. However, the Gitzo is actually a little bit lighter and if you bought used wouldn't cost much more than the Feisol.

Any of the Gitzo 13xx series or Feisol 3x71 series would be more than stable enough and a heck of a lot lighter than an aluminum Gitzo 1504.

butterfly
21-Dec-2006, 05:56
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to keep the thread going..

I looked at the Giottos web site and saw this interesting report on a range of tripods tested for vibration dampening:

http://www.giottos.com/

Seems the Berlebach 2022 is very well regarded. It's 2.7Kg lighter than my Gitzo aluminium tripod! It is also relatively cheap (about £120). The only downside is the transported length of 78cm, and it comes with a 1/4" head screw. My Arca head is 3/8" I think but they do adaptors.

Are Berlebach a cheap version of Ries? They are mentioned here but not this model, which seems to be good for my needs, i.e. lighter and still very stable. Comments appreciated.

I'm not ruling out the Gitzo 1225 CF, which is a fantastic piece of kit, but at £475 I will wait a couple of months to let my finances recover and sell my existing tripod.

Steve

Rakesh Malik
21-Dec-2006, 07:43
I'm not ruling out the Gitzo 1225 CF, which is a fantastic piece of kit, but at £475 I will wait a couple of months to let my finances recover and sell my existing tripod.

I moved from an aluminum Gitzo Explorer to a Manfrotto magfiber 'pod, though I'm still using the Gitzo magnesium offset ballhead that I had on the Explorer. The combination is plenty stable enough for my Ebony SV45U, and I've used it to produce some razor sharp images with multi-second exposures even using a Nikon T*ED 720mm, so I'm pretty confident about it. And it's fairly light, BUT as I expected, I miss some of the features on the Gitzo.

I picked the Manfrotto over a CF Explorer for two reasons:
At the time, I had a need for a tripod that I could carry with my LF kit, but not enough money for an explorer, and wasn't willing to wait to save some extra.
Also, Gitzo rates the load capacity on the CF explorers pretty low... enough to give me cause for concern about stability -- and I couldn't find one in a store to try out.

Lately though, I read a posting by the HP Marketing guy who frequents this forum (Bob Solomon?) about the Giottos universal 'pod, which indicated that it has all of the features that I missed from the Gitzo Explorer, costs 1/2 as much, has 3x the load capacity, and has some extra conveniences that even the Explorer doesn't have.

I like the rotatable head, because I have an interest in macros (for which I'll be using a 35mm or a 6x6 :)), and I like the fully-adjustable leg angles. Since the Giottos apparently has those, I'm hoping to find one that I can try out in the area... because otherwise I'd have to buy one from B&H or something in order to try it. :confused:

Donald Brewster
21-Dec-2006, 12:56
Gitzo CF or Ries.

Capocheny
21-Dec-2006, 22:32
I have a Berlebach 3022 in custom dark brown and height marks on the legs. It supports my 8x10 tachihara with big heavy lenses and does a great job on both smooth and rought surfaces.
It is pleasent to hold in the cold and compliments the camera nicely. sure its not feather light or easy to pack but not so bad that i dont take it with me.

I'll second this recommendation... and it's very reasonably priced given the quality!

Cheers

Photojeep
22-Dec-2006, 13:49
I just bought a Manfrotto Magfiber 055MF3 set of legs and while I don't plan on putting my 8x10 on it, I have no problems putting my Wisner Technical on it. I use the Manfrotto 468MG ball headon these legs and find the combination very nice to work with.

I also have the Berlebach wooden legs for my 8x10 and find they work well for me when shooting the big camera. I also don't use a tripod head on these legs so it's just the camera directly on the legs. The model I use has a moveable center stud that allows me to level the camera.

Just my .02.

Merry Christmas to all.
Randy

Armin Seeholzer
22-Dec-2006, 15:35
I vote for a Wolf 8043 and you also not in need of the to much heavy Arca B2!
http://www.holzstative.de/compact.htm
It holds my Burke & James 8x10 perfect!

Kirk Gittings
22-Dec-2006, 15:35
Another vote fot the Manfrotto Magfiber 055MF3 for 4x5. One of the best investments I ever made. I hate twist knobs, and the levers on these new Manfrottos work very very well.