PDA

View Full Version : Filter adapters on older lenses

Claude Sapp
19-Dec-2006, 20:10
Recently there were a few posts about using filters on lenses that do not have standard filter threads. Many good ideas were discussed, and I just wanted to show an example of one method I use to get around the problem of older lenses not being threaded for filters. I recently picked up the WA Dagor in the pictures,and wanted to use my 52mm filters with the lens. I went to the local camera store and picked up a 48->52 step up ring, and also picked up a thin black foam sheet about the size of a piece of paper from Michaels. I cut out a piece of foam long enough to wrap around the front lens element and about an inch wide. I wrapped the foam around the front of the lens, pushed the step up ring over the foam and then pressed it down around the front of the lens. Then I carefully ran an Xacto blade around the front ring of the lens to trim the foam flush, and there you have it, a WA Dagor that takes 52mm filters. I have done this on a few lenses, and just leave the step up ring on the lens, with a cap on the front for travel. Nice thing about this setup, especialy with this WA lens, is that the filter is larger than the front barrel of the lens so hopefully it will not vignette. Total cost - six bucks. Hope this helps someone!

Capocheny
20-Dec-2006, 00:30
Hi Claude,

Thanks for the posting... t'was I that asked the question in relation to a 19" RDA. :)

Cheers

Jim Noel
20-Dec-2006, 12:38
prior to most lenses being threaded for filters, slip-on adapters were plentiful. These were listed as Series sizes, series V, VI, VII, etc.

Many of these continue to be available on e-bay and at local camera swap meets.

Measure the outside diameter of your lens and find a series adapter which is a close fit, they can be altered slightly, and then pick up the appropriately sized series filters.

I have several of these and generally use larger filters with step-up rings in order to prevent having to carry toomany filters.

Claude Sapp
20-Dec-2006, 12:51
Excellent point about the Series adapters, they just slip right on. To add to that, modern 43mm filters slip right into a Series VI adapter, and modern 67mm filters slip right into a Series VIII adapter (thin rimmed filters work better for this). I have and use both Series as slip on adapters to hold modern filters. To go further, a 44mm-> XXmm step up ring threads right into the Series VI adapter that I have, letting me screw a 52mm modern filter into a 44->52 step up ring, thread this onto the Series VI adapter,then slip the whole onto the barrel of a lens. Many ways to skin this cat.

Or, sometimes I just tape the darn filter onto the barrel of the lens!

David A. Goldfarb
20-Dec-2006, 18:03
My solution is a Voss clip-on 3x3" gel holder for all my odd sized lenses. It's got two barn doors that function as a lens shade as well. I picked it up used from KEH for $15.

phil sweeney
21-Dec-2006, 03:58
I use series 9 filters. I have a couple older holders, a couple are handmade and I also had one made that lets me use 67mm filters or a series 9 77mm adapter:
http://home.att.net/~shipale/filter_adapter_seriesIX.jpg
The old three screw adapters are great, I just get rid of the metal screws and use nylon. I started using these after meeting Michael and Paula

Mark Sampson
21-Dec-2006, 07:54
I was lucky and found a series 7-52mm adapter ring, the only one I've ever seen. 99% of those adapters go from mm-threads to a series size, exactly backwards for most shooters these days. I'ts lived permanently on my 135 WF Ektar for many years now.
I also use a device called a "Xenophon" gel holder, sold by Calumet. It attaches to the back of the lensboard and holds gels behind the lens. The one I have is a perfect fit behind my 121 Super-Angulon, the front of which is just huge. Not as convienient but it works quite well.

katheo
5-Nov-2009, 14:48
This is an old thread, but I am working on configuring a filter setup for two Ektar lenses I have, so maybe someone can help. I may go with the home-made 'step-up ring with foam solution' if I can't find the right fit otherwise.

Mark, from your last posting on this thread: I have a 135 WF Ektar f:6.3 too. From what I can measure, it takes something close to a 54mm filter (?). Is the Series 7 to 52mm adapter you mention in your posting a screw-on or push-on?

I'm a little confused by anything 'Series-to-XXmm' that is screw-on. Isn't 'Series 7' actually a range of diameters?

I also have the same filter adapter issue with a 210mm Ektar f:6.3. It seems like that lens takes something more like a 42mm filter (?) which I guess is a Series 6.

thanks for any advice...

Glenn Thoreson
5-Nov-2009, 17:25
Hmmmm.....foam, eh? Here all this time I been using those big blue rubber bands that come with bunches of broccoli. :D

Robert A. Zeichner
5-Nov-2009, 17:45
This is an old thread, but I am working on configuring a filter setup for two Ektar lenses I have, so maybe someone can help. I may go with the home-made 'step-up ring with foam solution' if I can't find the right fit otherwise.

Mark, from your last posting on this thread: I have a 135 WF Ektar f:6.3 too. From what I can measure, it takes something close to a 54mm filter (?). Is the Series 7 to 52mm adapter you mention in your posting a screw-on or push-on?

I'm a little confused by anything 'Series-to-XXmm' that is screw-on. Isn't 'Series 7' actually a range of diameters?

I also have the same filter adapter issue with a 210mm Ektar f:6.3. It seems like that lens takes something more like a 42mm filter (?) which I guess is a Series 6.

thanks for any advice...

Are you sure your 210 Ektar is not a 203 f7.7 Ektar? An f6.3 210 Ektar would take a larger filter than a 42mm I believe. There are a number of types of series filter adapters. One type is a screw in, another is a push on and still a third is a slip on with a set screw. On small lenses like an f7.7 203 Ektar, I use a push on series 6 adapter with a series 6 to 7 step up ring and then I press fit a machined rim of an old 52mm filter (minus glass) into that ring and voila! I have a 52mm push on adapter. As far as your 135 WF Ektar, this lens I believe has a series 7 front thread which btw is 54mm. Series filters are a fixed diameter that slip into the various types of adapters as I have described, enabling one size of filter to be used on a variety of lenses. As far as the screw in types of adapters, Tiffen as an example used the part numbers 52M7, 55M7, 58M7 etc. to identify the lens thread size that the adapter would screw into. All those adapters would take the same series 7 filter. Hope that helps.

Chauncey Walden
5-Nov-2009, 17:59
I use Series VI filters on the 203 and Series VIII (or 67mm) on the 135. Can't get at the lenses right now to see what adapter I used. Just measure the outside diameter and check with eBay seller macintoshcat.

katheo
5-Nov-2009, 19:50
Robert: Thanks for the additional info. I guess I hadn't ever seen a list of the filter conversions, only the chart of the diameter ranges falling in each Series. Seems like its not so easy to find the push-on adapters in the correct barrel size. I think I know what I am looking for now though.

I double checked and the lens is definitely a Commercial Ektar f:6.3, 8.5 inch (I guess 216mm technically?), 42mm filter. Hadn't really thought much about the small filter size until you mentioned it-- much smaller diameter than my 135mm f:6.3, 54mm filter.

Robert A. Zeichner
6-Nov-2009, 04:22
Robert: Thanks for the additional info. I guess I hadn't ever seen a list of the filter conversions, only the chart of the diameter ranges falling in each Series. Seems like its not so easy to find the push-on adapters in the correct barrel size. I think I know what I am looking for now though.

I double checked and the lens is definitely a Commercial Ektar f:6.3, 8.5 inch (I guess 216mm technically?), 42mm filter. Hadn't really thought much about the small filter size until you mentioned it-- much smaller diameter than my 135mm f:6.3, 54mm filter.

Ahh, a Commercial Ektar. Yes, that requires a 44.5 mm push on Series 7 adapter according to the Kodak filter guide. I have one of these that I could sell. PM me if interested.