PDA

View Full Version : Bad News About Film Holders

Jeff Morfit
18-Dec-2006, 11:13
I do not know if this has been posted to this site or not, but if it has please excuse me for a duplicate post. For several days I have been trying to find 5x7 film holders. None of the stores with websites that I checked have them, either out of stock or on back order.

This morning I checked Bruce's Field Camera Store website to see if he had any for sale. When I went to the film holder section of his site this is the message that I found: "All of the Fidelity, Lisco, and Riteway filmholders are out of production. They were made by the same companywho is turning their back on large format. We have a limited supply which we will sell to camera buyers and previous customers only. 4x5 and 8x10 in stock."

Bruce's is not the only store that is out of 5x7 holders. Here is a list of all the stores that I know that do not have them. Adorama, B&H, Bruce's, Calumet, The View Camera Store and Badger Graphics. I also checked Fine Art Supply's site and their catalog still shows that 5x7's are in stock. However, if anyone is interested in purchasing any it would probably be a good idea to e-mail them first just to be certain. All of the stores that I checked still have good supplies, at least for now of 4x5 and 8x10 film holders, but for how long.

I do not know if this news qualifies as a disaster or not, but I would say that it is very close. Hopefully, the company that manufactured all of the film holders will sell the equipment to someone else who is interested producing film holders. I hope that a different company will take over production before the price of film holders go throught the roof. If anyone on this list knows of any stores that are still selling 5x7 holders would they be so kind as to respond to this thread. Also, watch for stores that are out of 4x5 and 8x10 holders, if things get to that point. This could be even worse than
another company annoucing that they are exiting the film production business. It will do us little good to have all the film we want, but nothing to put it in to use it.

tim atherton
18-Dec-2006, 11:21
there was a recent (at the time not so dire) thread on this... but I can't remeber the thread title.....

Eric Biggerstaff
18-Dec-2006, 11:22
Jeff,

If I remember correctly, Calumet is actually the company who ownes Fidelity, Lisco and Rightway. I saw a thread recently that they closed down the manufacturing of the holders and will work through the remaining inventories of stock and parts.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am not correct.

tim atherton
18-Dec-2006, 11:23
Jeff,

If I remember correctly, Calumet is actually the company who ownes Fidelity, Lisco and Rightway. I saw a thread recently that they closed down the manufacturing of the holders and will work through the remaining inventories of stock and parts.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am not correct.

and it was basically one old guy in a workshop who made them and he had retired...?

Barry Wilkinson
18-Dec-2006, 11:30
Fotoman make 4x10 and 8x10 film holders. Perhaps they could be persuaded to manufacture other sizes?

Barry

naturephoto1
18-Dec-2006, 11:43
I can not say if they have any in stock, but Badger Graphic lists 5 X 7 holders on their site:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1265

Rich

Jeff Morfit
18-Dec-2006, 11:48
Badger does list them on their website, but there is also a notation indicating that the 5x7's are out of stock. If this were late March or early April I would write all of this off as a really bad April Fools Joke, but it is not. Looks as though the Grinch has landed, ladies and gentlemen.

John Berry
18-Dec-2006, 12:00
If there is a market, there will be a product. Price will be another matter.

Jeff Morfit
18-Dec-2006, 13:37
Of course one the biggest questions in all of this is how long, provided that there is someone willing to buy the equipment, will it be before production can start up again.

John Kasaian
18-Dec-2006, 14:25
FWIW I've found new holders to be prohibitively expensive compared to all the gently used stuff thats around, and I am in the market for 5x7 holders myself. If you really want "new" badly enough I would think you'd be able to order them from S&S and possibly Argentium (since they are building special "square" holders, how difficult would it be for them to make conventional ones?)

Should China start building them, I hope they learned something from those awful tilt-alls they dumped on the market awhile back.

Lazybones
18-Dec-2006, 14:32
*panics*

Gary Smith
18-Dec-2006, 14:36
Toyo for one still makes new holders. At least here in Japan, they make 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I just bought 15 new 8x10 holders from them a couple of weeks ago. They said they are actually behind in production.

So not all is lost.

Gary

cyrus
18-Dec-2006, 14:41
YIKES
Just bought 4 used ones from adorama . . .

Frank Petronio
18-Dec-2006, 14:55
There are millions and millions of good film holders out there. I am not exaggerating either. When the eBay marketplace has them for $5 to $10 each for 4x5 ones, how can new manufacturing compete? Making traditional-sized film holders has to be a lousy business.

Maybe you should buy a dozen the next time a clean lot comes up for sale. But otherwise who cares?

roteague
18-Dec-2006, 14:58
When the eBay marketplace has them for $5 to $10 each for 4x5 ones, how can new manufacturing compete?

Well, not everyone wants to purchase used. I bought 6 new Toyo holders this past summer from Calumet. I bought them because I wanted "new" holders for a trip I was taking. Just personal preference.

Lazybones
18-Dec-2006, 14:59
*stops panicing*

Ash
18-Dec-2006, 15:00
I was wondering why I couldn't find any sites with them in stock. Then again I'm using homebrew half-plate->to->4x5 backs on my old Kodak ground camera. Still a damn shame when I was planning on buying a dedicated 4x5 or 5x7 kit

Michael Kadillak
18-Dec-2006, 15:15
Toyo for one still makes new holders. At least here in Japan, they make 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I just bought 15 new 8x10 holders from them a couple of weeks ago. They said they are actually behind in production.

So not all is lost.

Gary

I love Toyo holders but am perplexed why nobody brings them into the US in 5x7? I use many in 4x5 and 8x10.

Do you know of any way someone can secure some of the 5x7 Toyo holders? Maybe we can put in an order? (hint hint).

Cheers!

Frank Petronio
18-Dec-2006, 15:28
Actually if you find some used ones in good condition then I think the slides are smoother and all the manufacturering crap has been worked out of them. New holders are not clean and pristine, at least the ones I've bought new required cleaning right from the box...

Gary Smith
18-Dec-2006, 15:43
I love Toyo holders but am perplexed why nobody brings them into the US in 5x7? I use many in 4x5 and 8x10.

Do you know of any way someone can secure some of the 5x7 Toyo holders? Maybe we can put in an order? (hint hint).

Cheers!

Actually I might know somebody. I am traveling the next couple of days, but I can give Toyo a call directly and see what they say.

I will try to have something before the end of the week, if thats okay?

REgards.

Gary

Michael Kadillak
18-Dec-2006, 15:49
Here is a reality check that has happened to me more than a few times. You are having a conversation with a fellow LF photographer and discussing the very real demise of their your favorite developer/sheet film/film holder etc. that is currently in the plentiful and available category to your hearts content.

The person on the other end of the dialog comments "I was planning on getting a bottle of my favorite developer, a box of my best sheet film or another holder that I desperately need but because of the risks that this could be all she wrote for this product I better get TWO."

All I can do is shake my head and walk away.

Later on what was anticipated happens and the product is no longer available or is only available at a higher price. The first time that I hear the whining starting about how certain companies are not "committed" to photographers I pin them to the wall. "Why in hell if you are in fact complaining about what you do not have did you step up to the plate when the time was right and you could acquire as much of this product as you wanted?" I usually get that Alfred E Newman look in return conveying that they simply do not understand the fundamental first rule of consumer economics - aggregate sales usually is proportional to the reliance of a product in the marketplace. Duhhhh

Any dedicated photographer hedges his bets with what he needs one way or another. The only way that conventional products will remain plentiful is to step up to the friggin plate and make the commitment. Complaining may make you feel better, but it is accomplishes nothing.

Just my $0.02

Michael Kadillak
18-Dec-2006, 15:51
Actually I might know somebody. I am traveling the next couple of days, but I can give Toyo a call directly and see what they say.

REgards.

Gary

Thanks a bunch Gary. I owe you big time.

robc
18-Dec-2006, 16:20
They are not out of business. They have just stopped production and from what I heard, they have a large stockpile of holders. I also heard that they won't sell the machining so that someone else can start up production. That may be because they have a large stockpile they want to get of rid of first. But then they wouldn't sell the 11x14 machines either.

C. D. Keth
18-Dec-2006, 16:26
So get used ones. I wouldn't keep making something that is essentially defunct and of which there are thousands of on the secondary market. You can't blame people for having business savvy.

Michael Graves
18-Dec-2006, 16:47
Actually if you find some used ones in good condition then I think the slides are smoother and all the manufacturering crap has been worked out of them. New holders are not clean and pristine, at least the ones I've bought new required cleaning right from the box...

Ditto. I bought four brand new 5x7 last year. They were nice and all, but they were in just as bad a need of a thorough cleaning as any used holder I ever bought. If you shop carefully, the used market can be good for you. Six weeks ago, I bought 8 Fidelity 5x7s of the same type as the brand new ones, and right now if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you which ones were which.

roteague
18-Dec-2006, 17:05

Perhaps. I took 6 brand new Toyo film holders out of the plastic bags they came in, and immediately loaded them with film. I saw no reason to do anything more than a simple wipe for dust on them. No problems with the resulting images either (Efke PL100, BTW).

Rafael Garcia
18-Dec-2006, 17:10
I am glad I stocked up on 5x7s and 4x5's! I can shoot 'till they stop making film...in about 5 years! :(

John Kasaian
18-Dec-2006, 17:44
My preferred 8x10 holders are those old black woooden "Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" ones, followed by vintage plastic Lisco Regals. Once I bought some new Liscos for a project but the only difference between the new ones and the old is that the new ones cost more (a lot more) and having stiffer hinges they where a bit more contrary to load. They loosened up eventually but I wouldn't spend my money on them again---certainly not at $80-90 each (!) which was the last price I saw the new ones going for.

When you get used holders always check them with photo paper for leaks before you use them. If they don't leak IMHO they'll be every bit as useful as a new holder costing 4 times as much. An added plus is that there is a special kind of fun attached to old gear. Sometimes I think about who used these old holders before---maybe someone in a high powered ad agency in New York City like Frank Petronio or some other 'tog like maybe Ansel or Edward or uhhh Hugh Hefner.:rolleyes:

neil poulsen
18-Dec-2006, 17:57
Lens and Repro (.com) lists new 5x7's. But, take an extra breath before you look at the price.

John Kasaian
18-Dec-2006, 18:04
I am glad I stocked up on 5x7s and 4x5's! I can shoot 'till they stop making film...in about 5 years! :(

Rafael,

What??? You didn't stock up on glass plate holders as well? ;)

Frank Petronio
18-Dec-2006, 18:13
John -- High-Powered and New York City are about 180 degrees from where I'm at. We live in farm and orchard country. You know, where the ketchup factories used to be before all agricultural production moved to California.

Yeah, I guess those Toyo holders probably are better than the average Liscos and Fidelities which are nothing to get excited about...

Sal Santamaura
18-Dec-2006, 18:59

Cheers!

REgards.

GaryI'm rooting for you, but all my research indicates there aren't any 5x7 Toyo holders being manufactured. If there are, and you put together an order, please post that information here. I'd be in for up to a dozen, depending on cost.

naturephoto1
18-Dec-2006, 19:10
Doesn't look too good for new 5 X 7 film holders being made right now. I just checked the Linhof website and they have their film holders listed as Fidelity. :( Hope something can be done for you 5 X 7 photographers. :( :(

Rich

Michael Kadillak
18-Dec-2006, 20:18
I'm rooting for you, but all my research indicates there aren't any 5x7 Toyo holders being manufactured. If there are, and you put together an order, please post that information here. I'd be in for up to a dozen, depending on cost.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for an early Christmas as well. Best thing to do is have Gary check with his contacts and let us know.

The obvious follow up questions are: 1) Were they ever made in 5x7? and 2) How many would need to be committed to (sold) before they could proceed with a production run?

Merry Christmas !

Wayne Crider
18-Dec-2006, 20:26
Ebay for 5x7; In perspective you should try finding 3x4 slotted Graflex holders.

Capocheny
18-Dec-2006, 21:35
Jeff,

Get ahold of Rob Skeoch at Bigcameraworkshops.com... I believe he still has some in stock.

And, in Canadian buckeroos too! :)

Cheers

Gary Smith
19-Dec-2006, 14:51
I'm rooting for you, but all my research indicates there aren't any 5x7 Toyo holders being manufactured. If there are, and you put together an order, please post that information here. I'd be in for up to a dozen, depending on cost.

Well, I made a quick phone call to a shop in Tokyo yesterday. Actually, we are both right and wrong. Toyo has made 5x7 holders in the recent past, but they were all special order for several dealers in Tokyo/Osaka. These are the ones they currently have in stock.

What the shop manager told me Toyo will do special orders for film holders, if there is enough demand. And he said it would be best to contact them directly to determine what the minimum order would be before they would produce them.

So the question I would like to ask, is there enough interest for me to place a call to Toyo at some point? Or if there is only a few people wanting 5x7 holders to try to purchase them in Tokyo?

I travel down there about once every couple of weeks, next time I go and I can get an idea of the price and quanity these dealers have in stock.

If there is any interest, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Gary

Sal Santamaura
19-Dec-2006, 15:57
...If there is any interest, please let me know...
Thanks for doing that reserch Gary.

I'm definitely interested in either 5x7 approach. If from current dealer stock, how many are available and what is the price? If a special production run, what is the minimum order and price?

If Toyo is amenable to special orders, I'd also be interested in knowing what minimum production run it would consider (as well as price) for 6.5 x 8.5 holders, as well as the dimensions and lock rib location they'd build those to.

Thanks again for your continued help!

Steve Hamley
19-Dec-2006, 17:04
Gary,

I wouldn't mind having a few extras - either approach.

Steve

Charles Hohenstein
19-Dec-2006, 19:08
What the shop manager told me Toyo will do special orders for film holders, if there is enough demand. And he said it would be best to contact them directly to determine what the minimum order would be before they would produce them.

I wonder whether they would make 11x14 sheet film holders? Many people have expressed satisfaction with the Toyo holders in smaller sizes, so it would be great to see them do a batch of 11x14's.

Herb Cunningham
19-Dec-2006, 19:24
I would be in for some Toyo 5x7 holders, quantity 6 to ten depending on delivered price, but 6 minimum. If the Amidol experience is any guide, they would have orders for several hundred.

Michael Kadillak
19-Dec-2006, 19:30
Thanks again Gary for your efforts. I will commit to as many as 8-12 at a minimum and more as many as 15-20 if necessary. Just let me know what works.

Cheers!

Well, I made a quick phone call to a shop in Tokyo yesterday. Actually, we are both right and wrong. Toyo has made 5x7 holders in the recent past, but they were all special order for several dealers in Tokyo/Osaka. These are the ones they currently have in stock.

So the question I would like to ask, is there enough interest for me to place a call to Toyo at some point? Or if there is only a few people wanting 5x7 holders to try to purchase them in Tokyo?

I travel down there about once every couple of weeks, next time I go and I can get an idea of the price and quanity these dealers have in stock.

If there is any interest, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Gary

sanking
19-Dec-2006, 19:37
Rafael,

What??? You didn't stock up on glass plate holders as well? ;)

Gee, I have a big box of Kodak 4X5 glass plate holders, unexposed of course. Must be a couple of hundred of them in there, at least. I thought about using them but the hoarding instinct told me to just hang on to them for another few decades and they will be a lot more valuable.

Sandy King

kjsphotography
20-Dec-2006, 00:32
I would be interested in 5x7 holder also. If there is enough people let me know and I will also pick a few up.

Capocheny
20-Dec-2006, 01:25
Depending on the pricing... I'd also be interested in a few.

Gary, thanks for the legwork. :)

Cheers

Gary Smith
20-Dec-2006, 03:00
Sounds like there is enough interest. I will be heading to Tokyo next week, I will run around try to get some prices on the holders retail. I will also give Toyo a call and see if they would be interested in doing another run, and if so the quantities and costs required.

Thank Again, I will try to see what I can do.

Gary

Jeff Morfit
20-Dec-2006, 07:49
I checked with Fine Art Photo Supply and they do have a few twin packs of 5x7 holders in stock at this time. Also, have been looking on EBay for several days and offerings for 5x7's is kinda of thin at this time.

Michael Kadillak
20-Dec-2006, 09:01
Sounds like there is enough interest. I will be heading to Tokyo next week, I will run around try to get some prices on the holders retail. I will also give Toyo a call and see if they would be interested in doing another run, and if so the quantities and costs required.

Thank Again, I will try to see what I can do.

Gary

Many thanks for the willingness to go out of your way for the benefit of the LF community. If our paths cross you can count on the first round of drinks on me!

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
20-Dec-2006, 12:26
Along the theme of this thread I have 10 virtually new older Riteway 4x5 holders and 10 NIB Linhof 4x5 holders if someone is interested.

Cheers!

Herb Cunningham
27-Dec-2006, 20:29
I got in touch with Robt White's group and they have contacted Toyo to see how big an order would be interesting to Toyo.

With Gary also inquiring, we should be able to get Toyo to make some 5x7s before too long.

Kevin Crisp
28-Dec-2006, 08:07
I am also interested in these in the 5X7 size. The 5 I have in 4X5 always impress me with their quality, it would be a pleasure to have some larger ones. Thanks for checking into this. I would think manufacturers of cameras this size would want to be able to say "you can get these from me" instead of "well after you buy my camera you can find them used on eBay."

Scott Davis
28-Dec-2006, 08:11
Please keep us up to date on your progress. If you can get pricing on them, I would definitely be up for some, more depending on price. I hate having to buy dozens of 5x7 film holders to find a few that fit the film perfectly and don't leak at the corners, AND fit my camera.

jnantz
28-Dec-2006, 08:56
i tend to buy used ... ( can't afford new )
often times midwest photo has them as well as places like
equinoxphotographic and pacificrimcamera ( . com ) ... and they are very affordable (like less than 10dollars each ) ...

Ted Harris
28-Dec-2006, 10:30
5x7 holders from Midwest have been running $25 - 29 when Jim can get them and not sure if he has any more now. Remember that as the new prices have gone up, now $55-60, so have the prices for used current design holders. Of course, older wooden ones may still be in the 10-15 range.

jnantz
28-Dec-2006, 12:08
5x7 holders from Midwest have been running $25 - 29 when Jim can get them and not sure if he has any more now. Remember that as the new prices have gone up, now $55-60, so have the prices for used current design holders. Of course, older wooden ones may still be in the 10-15 range.

hi ted

i think i got wood 8x10 holders from jim for 10$ each and he sold me ones that didn't leak :) i think last time i bought 5x7 holders, they were 7$ each from equinox ... they didn't leak either :)

-john
( both times were a few years ago .. )

Ted Harris
28-Dec-2006, 12:48
John, the problem with 5x7 (and 13x18) holders is that 1) the new retail price jumped from ~ 35 each to ~ 55 each about eight to ten months ago. 2) They went into very very short new supply with most dealers going out of stock or having long delays in getting them in and that hasn't changed that much. 3) After the huge increase int he new price the used prices followed :(

jnantz
28-Dec-2006, 14:43
John, the problem with 5x7 (and 13x18) holders is that 1) the new retail price jumped from ~ 35 each to ~ 55 each about eight to ten months ago. 2) They went into very very short new supply with most dealers going out of stock or having long delays in getting them in and that hasn't changed that much. 3) After the huge increase int he new price the used prices followed :(

i can see how that would be a major bummer.

lucky for me i am too poor to afford
buying anything new (cameras, film holders or film) .... :eek:

alec4444
29-Dec-2006, 07:16

I'm curious why the prices spiked... I know there has been an increase in LF interest (perhaps as a backlash to digital), so are these new LFers choosing the 5x7 format over 4x5 or 8x10? That would actually be good news for the 5x7 crowd as it might increase the number of films available.

I'd have a hard time believing that stopping production would in itself drive up the price. There's a finite number of 5x7 shooters out there in the world, and I'm betting that most of them are pretty well set for filmholders. Maybe there's someone out there stockpiling them....preparing for a hostile takeover! :eek:

=)

--A

bglick
2-Jan-2007, 09:08
Gary, count me in too.... if Toyo makes them, I'll take 12 of the 5x7's

Let us know pricing and payment, etc...

bglick@rioaccess.com

Michael Jones
2-Jan-2007, 10:28
[QUOTE=John Kasaian;202576]My preferred 8x10 holders are those old black woooden "Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" ones, followed by vintage plastic Lisco Regals. Once I bought some new Liscos for a project but the only difference between the new ones and the old is that the new ones cost more (a lot more) and having stiffer hinges they where a bit more contrary to load. They loosened up eventually but I wouldn't spend my money on them again---certainly not at $80-90 each (!) which was the last price I saw the new ones going for.

Wooden holders been my preference for some time, too. They are lighter and the slides are easier to draw. Those older wood holders can be dropped and have a better chance of surviving, too (heaven knows I've done that a few times). Good hunting.

Mike

timbo10ca
2-Jan-2007, 11:37
Well, here I am just about to buy a 5x7 as my forray into LF, and yet another roadblock....! I am perservering however, and if the price is reasonable, I'll likely buy some as well. I'll continue surfing the used market in the meantime. I hope we don't all end up bidding against each other. :rolleyes:

Tim

Gary Smith
6-Jan-2007, 06:10
Hi All,

Just a quick update on what I have found so far. I bought the last remaining four Toyo 5x7 film holders that I could find in Tokyo yesterday. The clerk at Yodobashi confirmed that they were a special order item from Toyo, and not a normally stocked item.

I tried to call Toyo on Friday, the answering service said they were closed until Tuesday. Quite a few small firms here are closed for New Years until next week, so its not really a surprise. So on Tuesday I am going to give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully that can do something. I will keep everybody informed of my progresss.

Best Regards.

Gary

Richard Martel
7-Jan-2007, 20:30
Gary,

Thanks for the effort put forward. I'm interest in 6 5x7 holders.

Richard Martel
florida Keys

Capocheny
8-Jan-2007, 00:48
Well, here I am just about to buy a 5x7 as my forray into LF, and yet another roadblock....! I am perservering however, and if the price is reasonable, I'll likely buy some as well. I'll continue surfing the used market in the meantime. I hope we don't all end up bidding against each other. :rolleyes:

Tim

Tim,

Stick with this... it's only a bump in the road at the moment. There ARE 5x7 holders available but it takes a bit of effort in locating them.

The Toyo holders are beautifully made and are (IMHO) better built than the others (equal to the Linhofs in 4x5. I'm not sure if Linhof ever made 5x7 holders... anybody know?)

However, that said, they're ALL quite functional. If you're in a big hurry for some... check the source that I mentioned above in my previous posting. IIRC, the Toyo version is a bit more expensive than the other suspects!

But, shooting 5x7 is great... and the format is great too! :)

Cheers

Ted Harris
8-Jan-2007, 07:27
Linhof made 13x18 holders but I have never seen any 5x7.

timbo10ca
8-Jan-2007, 16:36
Oh, it takes more than this to discourage me (My new 5x7 Shen is on it's way from China right now). I got a couple new holders through Rob at BigCameraWorkshop (he's also is bringing my camera in- support local, I say ;) ) and found some (what I think are wood though, from the look of them) from ebay. As I said before- I hope I wasn't bidding against one of you guys! I know this stuff is going to be available in one form or another, but it's gonna get pricey! I hope more people like myself choose this over the digital "fad" :eek: I've been poking around web retailers for color slide film in 5x7 (I still love shooting the stuff in 35mm and MF and boy, wouldn't it be great to see one in 5x7), and the only place I could find it was at Megaperls in Japan. Wow! $$$$ This is fodder for a different thread however.....

Tim

Tim,

Stick with this... it's only a bump in the road at the moment. There ARE 5x7 holders available but it takes a bit of effort in locating them.

The Toyo holders are beautifully made and are (IMHO) better built than the others (equal to the Linhofs in 4x5. I'm not sure if Linhof ever made 5x7 holders... anybody know?)

However, that said, they're ALL quite functional. If you're in a big hurry for some... check the source that I mentioned above in my previous posting. IIRC, the Toyo version is a bit more expensive than the other suspects!

But, shooting 5x7 is great... and the format is great too! :)

Cheers

Ted Harris
8-Jan-2007, 17:27
Jim at Midwest has either just gotten or is soon getting a load of em in .... 30 or more ... give him a call if you are in need.

Capocheny
8-Jan-2007, 22:10
Oh, it takes more than this to discourage me (My new 5x7 Shen is on it's way from China right now). I got a couple new holders through Rob at BigCameraWorkshop (he's also is bringing my camera in- support local, I say ;) ) and found some (what I think are wood though, from the look of them) from ebay. As I said before- I hope I wasn't bidding against one of you guys! I know this stuff is going to be available in one form or another, but it's gonna get pricey! I hope more people like myself choose this over the digital "fad" :eek: I've been poking around web retailers for color slide film in 5x7 (I still love shooting the stuff in 35mm and MF and boy, wouldn't it be great to see one in 5x7), and the only place I could find it was at Megaperls in Japan. Wow! $$$$ This is fodder for a different thread however.....

Tim

Tim,

Good to hear! :)

Rob's a great guy to work with, isn't he? Yup, nothing like local support! :)

As for 5x7 color slide film... contact Jeff at Badger Graphics. That's where I buy mine from. And, Jeff is also a good guy to work with.

Ted,

Are you referring to Toyo holders that Jim is bring in or the Lisco / Fidelity brand?

Thanks

Cheers

Ted Harris
9-Jan-2007, 05:32
Henry, my reference was to a large buy he recently made of used Lisco/Fidelity holders. He should have them in hand now and if memory serves it was around 30 holders.

Jeff is the best soure for color 5x7 in North America. You canalso order direct from Megaperls in Japan or get 13x18 film from Europe. BTW if you have any 13x18 holders and want some 13x18 Provia or Agfa RSXII send me a PM as I have a few extra boxes in the freezer.

timbo10ca
9-Jan-2007, 10:33
I'm watching for 13x18 holders after reading QT Luong's tutorials, but haven't seen any yet.

Tim

Ted Harris
9-Jan-2007, 12:13
You need to look on the German eBay site for 13x18 holders .. that is where I got most of mine.

Capocheny
10-Jan-2007, 01:39
Henry, my reference was to a large buy he recently made of used Lisco/Fidelity holders. He should have them in hand now and if memory serves it was around 30 holders.

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the heads-up... I'll send Jim a note.

One can never have tooooo many holders! :)

Cheers