PDA

View Full Version : A Linhof. For the birds?

Patrik
17-Dec-2006, 14:01
What on earth is this Linhof tripod i found in the classifieds, Sweden, where I am located?
Can I use it to feed the birds?
And is it worth the about 270$ asking price?
I wonder what else great uses one might come up with, having bought it...

http://www.blocket.se/vi/10314312.htm?ca=11_s

Mike Long
20-Dec-2006, 20:43
That looks like an equatorial mount for a telescope.

Mike

Greg Lockrey
20-Dec-2006, 22:30
Looks like a Studio Dolly that I lusted for when I first got into photography in the late 60's. $270.00 American? Sounds reasonable to me.

johnnydc
20-Dec-2006, 22:55
I wonder what else great uses one might come up with, having bought it...

you could always go into dentistry...

Ole Tjugen
21-Dec-2006, 00:12
It's a studio stand, and a nice one too!

Capocheny
21-Dec-2006, 00:18
Patrik,

Solid as a rock... they were one of the most in-demand of all studio stands back in their hay day.

For what you paid for it... it was a steal of a deal!

Cheers

Patrik
21-Dec-2006, 04:49
Hmmm.

I didnīt actually buy it (yet). You think I should? Looks sturdy enough anyway he he.

/Pat

Michael Graves
21-Dec-2006, 05:07
you could always go into dentistry...

If anyone's interested in that, I have an old Ritter dentist's machine. Looks sort of like a deform Saguaro. Weights about 150 pounds.

Greg Lockrey
21-Dec-2006, 05:49
Hmmm.

I didnīt actually buy it (yet). You think I should? Looks sturdy enough anyway he he.

/Pat

I'd use it for your digital point-n-shoot :)

David A. Goldfarb
21-Dec-2006, 06:10
Looks like a great pedestal-style stand. I have a lighter model, and I find it very handy.

Roc Chan
21-Dec-2006, 07:07
Got that Linhof tripod head,a great head and will support a 50 pounds 8X10 Color Kardon Linhof Camera.The head is worth $270 and can be fitted to other tripods.Tripod itself can only be use in studio.

Ernest Purdum
21-Dec-2006, 09:06
Not for backpackers. It's a rather specialized stand for portrait work. Anyone having a large smooth-floored studio and intending to do mostly portrait work would find it great. If, on the other hand, some of the studio work were products and other work demanding high and low viewpoints, something else would be more versatile.

Whenever I have a physical, I look with envy at the stands that support the X-ray machine head. What a great camera stand one of them would be.

Linhof also made a stand with a pivoting side arm that could be swung up and down to extend the height adjustment. Ever so often an ancient Saltzman stand shows up at near giveaway price if you have enough ceiling height to accommodate it. I'm afraid shipping cost to Sweden would be prohibitive, though.

Patrik
21-Dec-2006, 15:14
Got that Linhof tripod head,a great head and will support a 50 pounds 8X10 Color Kardon Linhof Camera.The head is worth $270 and can be fitted to other tripods.Tripod itself can only be use in studio.

Aha! I can use the head only. I am not sure about my Arca Monoball on my Manfrotto 58, it feels kinda ok but I am sure ready to try something else thanx for the tip Roc Chan :)

To everyone else thanks for the info!