PDA

View Full Version : Step Up Adapter Rings Size Issue

AdvLandscape
13-Dec-2006, 20:48
I have just stumbled upon this forum and look forward to using and sharing here.

So I have three Nikkor lenses with front mounting sizes that seem to be non standard when looking for step up rings. I want to use my Lee Filter setup for my ND filters. Lee does not seem to offer an adapter ring in these sizes either.

The front mount sizes are as follows:

Nikkor 90mm = 85mm
Nikkor 210mm = 70mm
Nikkor 300mm= 54mm

Any leads for online purchase in the US for either Lee Filter adapter rings or step up rings in these sizes would be greatly appreciated. B&H lists both the 54mm & 70mm step up adapters but I have had no luck on the 85mm.

Jim Galli
13-Dec-2006, 21:20
I have just stumbled upon this forum and look forward to using and sharing here.

So I have three Nikkor lenses with front mounting sizes that seem to be non standard when looking for step up rings. I want to use my Lee Filter setup for my ND filters. Lee does not seem to offer an adapter ring in these sizes either.

The front mount sizes are as follows:

Nikkor 90mm = 85mm
Nikkor 210mm = 70mm
Nikkor 300mm= 54mm

Any leads for online purchase in the US for either Lee Filter adapter rings or step up rings in these sizes would be greatly appreciated. B&H lists both the 54mm & 70mm step up adapters but I have had no luck on the 85mm.

I think perhaps you're measuring wrong.

Nikkor 90mm = 82mm
Nikkor 210mm = 67mm
Nikkor 300mm= 52mm

All common sizes.

AdvLandscape
14-Dec-2006, 09:52
Well I hope your correct but the Nikon Nikkor reference booklet that came with the lenses is where I pulled these numbers from which states "front mounting size". No measuring involved. Guess I will try some of the rings and adapters I have in the sizes you mention to see if there is hope here.

Nick_3536
14-Dec-2006, 09:54
I bet Nikon is listing the lens cap size.

AdvLandscape
14-Dec-2006, 09:56
Fingers crossed on the cap size comment. Will take a look today. Many thanks.

tim atherton
14-Dec-2006, 11:10
I think I still have the nikon LF website data at home - I'll check tonight

btw - which nikkor lenses are they? (which 90mm for example)

Ron Marshall
14-Dec-2006, 11:15
The chart on the LF Photo home page lists filter thread size:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

AdvLandscape
14-Dec-2006, 15:45
The chart Ron references tells the story. Mr. Galli seems to have hit the sizes. This is a relief. The lens caps do have the sizes imprinted on the inside surface that match the Nikon booklets sizes. Very confusing for sure.

Anyway, good news for me. The lenses are below since the question was asked;

90mm SW f4.5
210mm W f5.6
300mm M f9

Thanks for all the help. Glad I found this forum.

naturephoto1
14-Dec-2006, 17:15
The reason for the confusion is that the slip on cap sizes are the outer dimensions of the large format lens and not the thread size of the lens/filter. The slip on caps have to be larger than the thread size. Generally 35mm and medium format lenses use lens caps that are spring loaded and are the same size as the lens filter thread size. :)

Rich