PDA

View Full Version : Fuji SW 8/90 : is it a good lens ?

Amine SULTAN
8-May-2000, 04:31
I'm thinking about buying a wide angle less "special"(too wide) than my 58mm XL. ..I have the opportunity to buy the Fuji SW 8/90 as a used lens and would like y ou to know if it is a good choice, especially compared to the Nikkor SW 8/90, re garded as a reference in the LF world... What about the coverage and the sharpness ? Is it multicoated ?

Thanks a lot for reply

Amine SULTAN

fw
8-May-2000, 05:44
I have recommended this particular Fuji lense several times in this forum ; it is an excellent performer, with good coverage for 4x5, is very sharp and contrasty, light-weight, and has a manageable 67mm filter size! I use it for probably 70% of my LF photography, with 65mm, 300mm and 400mm lenses making up most of the balance.

Scott Walton
10-May-2000, 22:59
I too have had this lens and very much enjoyed the sharpness, a bit dark though and I went to a Beattie Interscreen so it wasn't so bad. Scott

TAN K H
12-May-2000, 02:00
Excellent lens, the current MC model is very contrasty (have not used the old one). It is generally warmer than my Schneiders (which are more neutral).

Note that the older version that is not multicoated shares the same design - 6E/6G all airspaced. Most of the f8 designs in this focal length are 6E/4G. Fuji's design apparently allows for better correction of aberrations, and they seem to be confident enough of their lens coating to handle the much larger no. of air-glass surfaces.

Sharpness is a non issue. Almost any Fujinon is razor sharp corner to corner at the optimum shooting aperture. (I have the 150mm and 210mm as well - they are all excellent).

Patrick Raymore
12-May-2000, 13:53
What are you looking for specificly in the way of physical or optical characteristics? I believe that all the majors are sharp at their working apertures.

Compared to the Nikon 90mm f8 the Fuji has less coverage, is heavier, has more glass exposed back and front, is not as sharp in the periphery wide open (for focusing). Advantages, a remarkably lack of light fall of at working apertures, excellent sharpness across the film plane, durable exterior (better than the Nikon), an as with all the Fuji lenses that I have examined, the most even multi-coating I have seen. There are subtle image Characteristics of course but such characteristics are usually overwhelmed but things like lighting and film choice etc.

Joseph Dickerson
13-May-2000, 14:21
Hi,

I hope this is not too late. Years ago I bought a new Fuji 90mm f/8 and it was an absoulute dog. It wasnt sharp enough to produce an acceptable 11x14 print. I sent it and a print to Fuji and they immediately replaced it with another lens. Replacement lens was super.

My point is that Fujis quality control was somewhat suspect so if you are buying used make sure you have the priveledge of exchanging a lens that doesnt perform well as there are some stinkers out the

Patrick Raymore
15-May-2000, 17:53
In my experience, Joseph's advice can be applied can be to any manufacturer.