PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) For 16x20 Users

Richard K.
11-Dec-2006, 12:56
For those of you lucky enough to own a 16x20, I was hoping you could indulge us by answering a few questions...

1.) Which brand do you own? What is its weight? Approx. cost? Comment on its performance/stability? What is throat(lens board) opening? i.e. can it accommodate the Schneider 550mm Fine Art (125mm rear diameter)lens?

2.) Which lens(es) do you use? Comment on coverage? Which tripod/head?

3.) Any difficulties in film processing?

4.) Do you mainly contact print in silver or in an alternate process?

5.) Can you give us a URL to view some of your work?

6.) Does anyone actually own an Ebony 16x20? How much do they cost?

7.) What technique do you use to fight off admirers in the field?

8.) Anybody over 55 using one of these?

As I get older I'm thinking that maybe being crushed under a collapsed 16x20 may be an ironic and not too bad way to go...

Thanks!

Richard K.

Ron Marshall
11-Dec-2006, 13:44
You might also try the ULF photo site:

http://www.mamutphoto.com/

Blacky Dalton
11-Dec-2006, 14:21
That is funny Richard. I just did a Google search for ULF camera and this came up;

http://www.jbhphoto.com/bigcam1.htm

Looks like these folks have been shooting 16x20 since 2001. Good luck with your quest, I am sure something that large requires a fit body?

B. Dalton

C. D. Keth
11-Dec-2006, 16:20
The only answer I have to one of your questions is about the Ebony camera. If their 16x20 camera follows the pattern of their other cameras, I would be willing to bet it costs about $20K. Their folding cameras seem to roughly cost $1000 times the long side of the format.:eek:

Monty McCutchen
12-Dec-2006, 00:46
Hello Richard,

1.) Which brand do you own? What is its weight? Approx. cost? Comment on its performance/stability? What is throat(lens board) opening? i.e. can it accommodate the Schneider 550mm Fine Art (125mm rear diameter)lens?

I own a 20 x 24 Ebony with a 16 x 20 reducing back so I suppose that applies to your post. I have not weighed the camera exactly but it ranges in the mid 50 lb range. Ebony made some weight saving to their posted specs on the website but I have not put it to the scales. Yes it can accomodate the 550 XXL lens which is an excellent lens for both formats.

2.) Which lens(es) do you use? Comment on coverage? Which tripod/head?

I use 3 lenses for the camera to date. A 30 inch Dallmeyer f8/f22 which I use exclusively for my Wet Plate Collodion Ambrotypes and mainly for portraits in the wet plate process. I also have a 1000mm Germanar (sp) with a Packard Shutter and the aforementioned 550 XXL. I use a Ries Tripod rated out at 90 lbs but it can handle more with the appropriate Ries head. Sorry I am not very good with all the designated numbers that go with such things and am not at home currently to check actual model numbers etc.
3.) Any difficulties in film processing?

None. I use a Jobo and the 3063 Print drum and take it off every two minutes and give it a good shake about so that there are no density lines that build up in the negative.

4.) Do you mainly contact print in silver or in an alternate process?

I shoot conventional film for Pt/Pd, Pt/Pd Gum Over, and the aforementioned Glass Plate/Tintypes Wet Plate Collodion. I do not shoot for silver printing.

5.) Can you give us a URL to view some of your work?

I have included a picture link to another thread on this forum that has a 20 x 24 Pt/Pd Gum over of my son Satchel that for those that check many times on this forum are sure to be tired of seeing so hence the link. You can also look up my moniker on www.apug.org to see more of my work in various formats of wet plate/pt/pd work. My moniker there is Zebra which a search will provide the photos I have uploaded there. I do not currently have a web site and most of this is personal for me and I have a great deal to continue to learn before going down that road.6.) Does anyone actually own an Ebony 16x20? How much do they cost?

Yes and the above post as to cost would probably be a pretty good starting point. You can check with Quality Camera in Atlanta as they recently sold an Ebony 16 x 20. Or you can check Badger Graphics for the price on an Ebony 20 x 24 as they actually have one in stock and have the price listed on their website. Think car not camera and you'll be in the ballpark.7.) What technique do you use to fight off admirers in the field?

Don't worry these take so much work, effort and sweat that you'll be too busy anyway to worry about that. A pleasant demeanor while working hard has worked for my limited experience to date. I am no guru though and there are others that I am sure have more experience than me to offer insight here.

8.) Anybody over 55 using one of these?

I am 40 and sold some land that allowed for the cost to be aborbed unknowingly by the buyers into the negotiations of the sale of land. At least that's how I rationalized it! And to be honest I haven't regretted it one second since going down this road. In fairness to your decision making though I would suggest that this is similar to buying a horse--the cheapest thing you will do is buy the horse. Feeding it is the real commitment. Film holders, film, trays etc all have to accomodate this size. I don't say that as discouragment, just reality. I am happy I made the decision as it has been an adventure to say the least. Good luck in your endeavors and if you make the choice to move forward don't hesitate to contact me and whatever I can do, which may be much less than you would expect, I would gladly offer.

As I get older I'm thinking that maybe being crushed under a collapsed 16x20 may be an ironic and not too bad way to go...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21139&page=3

Best,

Monty