PDA

View Full Version : sinar vario vs zoom 2

peter lagus
10-Dec-2006, 16:51
are there any significant differences between the sinar vario roll fillm back and the zoom 2? i have been trying to find comparison information with no success. B&H has a used back for sale at a good price and i am tempted to buy it.

thanks for your help
pete lagus

JW Dewdney
10-Dec-2006, 17:01
The vario is supposed to suck.. where the zoom 2 is supposed to be quite useable. It's all hearsay though...

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2006, 20:16
I had a Vario briefly. If I recall correctly, it allows you to change formats only between rolls, while the Zooms allow you to change on the fly, mid-roll.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that on the Zoom 2, they left out the slots on the edge for Graflok retaining clips. Yes, the Vario/Zoom is designed as a slide-in holder, but the beast is so big and heavy, that on some cameras - especially lighter-weight wood field cameras - it can be wise to engage the Graflok clips for extra security.

There's also been gossip about the relative mechanical complexity/reliability of the different versions, but I don't remember what the upshot was.

robc
10-Dec-2006, 21:08
The pre zoom 2 was supposed to have a lot of problems. The zoom 2 was good. I had one for a while. The sinar format viewing mask which came with the zoom2 only fits onto sinar cameras. For non sinar cameras there was a plastic format mask which you could stick to the outside of the GG with double sided sticky labels.
Changing the internal film format mask mid roll wastes a lot of film on the zoom2.
The biggest draw back now, is that if you break the plastic film spool holder you won't be able to replace it and buying a zoom2 with only one film spool holder is a gamble.

And yes it is very thick and won't fit into some backs which have limited spring movement.

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2006, 21:40
The biggest draw back now, is that if you break the plastic film spool holder you won't be able to replace it

You can still order replacement film cartridges through B&H, stock number "SIFC".

robc
11-Dec-2006, 04:11
yeah and it still lists zoom 2 film holders but they are a special order item only. i.e. they don't stock them and they are not being made anymore. I suggest you phone to see if they are actually available if you want a backup. It may be the holder on offer comes with a spare or two anyway.

Darcy Cote
12-Dec-2006, 06:48
Thanks for the tip! Sold!

Just kidding. ;-)

peter lagus
14-Dec-2006, 16:20
as a follow up of my earlier post, thanks to all for the input. i really only wanted either 6x7 or 6x9 but thought the zoom2 looked interesting and flexible. i found a 6x9 in mint condition from camerawest. this newbie is looking forward to using his LF camera and learning a new set of skills.

regards
pete lagus