PDA

View Full Version : ULF Negative Storage

alec4444
10-Dec-2006, 16:27
Hey All! Found a few posts on this, but they all spoke to "What do I put my ULF negatives in?" and I'm all set with that. My 11x14 negs go in those PVC-free plastic "art bags" that can be sealed (I don't seal them) that the comic book collectors use. My question is this: Once you get your ULF negs in whatever bags or sleeves or whatnot, well....then what? Can't put them in a filing cabinet... Most drawers won't reall accomodate them, plus they'd be impossible to find. Could build a box, but then the acid from the wood probably would do some damage. Those map drawers look cool but my wife would kill me and I probably wouldn't be able to find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--A

sanking
10-Dec-2006, 21:40
The Hollinger Corporation has boxes for various ULF sizes, both top and side loadiing. I prefer the top loading boxes for 7X17 and 12X20.

www.hollingercorp.com
1-800-634-0491

Sandy King

Hey All! Found a few posts on this, but they all spoke to "What do I put my ULF negatives in?" and I'm all set with that. My 11x14 negs go in those PVC-free plastic "art bags" that can be sealed (I don't seal them) that the comic book collectors use. My question is this: Once you get your ULF negs in whatever bags or sleeves or whatnot, well....then what? Can't put them in a filing cabinet... Most drawers won't reall accomodate them, plus they'd be impossible to find. Could build a box, but then the acid from the wood probably would do some damage. Those map drawers look cool but my wife would kill me and I probably wouldn't be able to find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--A

C. D. Keth
12-Dec-2006, 09:47
I know a guy who uses the metal cabinet a local art store used to keep fine drawing and calligraphy papers in. It has about 10 drawers that are 2 or 3 inches deep and will accomodate 24x30 inch papers or negs with ease. He bought it when they went out of business for $25.

false_Aesthetic
12-Dec-2006, 17:22
Painters rely on a coating of PVA and then gesso to keep the wood from eating their canvases.

For a lot of painters PVA has even replaced gesso and rabbit skin glue as a sizing.

Definately cheaper than a new flat file and better than cardboard boxes.

T.