PDA

View Full Version : Schneider G-Claron 305mm f/9 for 4x5?

Ben Chase
10-Dec-2006, 08:27
Does the image circle on this lens create a problem for 4x5? This looks to me like it might be a decent landscape lens, but it's got a huge image circle. Also, does this typically come in a Copal 1 or 3 and what's the filter thread size?

There's one on E-bay right now for about 300 bones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150069392506&fromMakeTrack=true

Ben C

Ernest Purdum
10-Dec-2006, 09:04
The potential problems of an extremely large image circle are flare and a reduction in contrast. These can be controlled by careful use of a compendium lenshade.

The 305mm G-Claron is the largest size that comes in a Number 1 shutter.

There are actually two versions of the G-Claron. Filter thread is perhaps the easiest way to distinguish between the two. The later version takes a 67mm filter. The earlier, 58mm.

The one on eBay appears to me to be the later type, therefore 67mm.

Kirk Gittings
10-Dec-2006, 10:35
I have used one for years on 4x5. It is one of my favorite lenses.

Capocheny
10-Dec-2006, 14:11
Ben,

That lens will sell for a lot more than 300 bones especially since it's mounted in a shutter already... I'm betting close to twice that amount!

And, Ernest is right about the contrast and flare issues. But then... one should always be using a lens shade anyway. :)

Cheers

Ben Chase
10-Dec-2006, 14:46
I expected the new in box Grandagon-N 90mm to sell for more than $850.00, but it didn't! Hey...you never know!

KenM
10-Dec-2006, 19:32
I added the 305 G-Claron to my kit on the recommendation of another photographer - it was a good recommendation. Yes, it does have a mammoth image circle, so you have to make sure you have a set of bellows that really kills internal reflections (most do). As mentioned above, you must shade the lens. Do that, and you'll have some wonderfully sharp negatives...it's also very small for the image circle you get out of it.

Joseph O'Neil
11-Dec-2006, 06:46
I use the 270mm version on my 4x5 all the time, no problem. As said above, shade the lens, but that is true for all lenses I think.

joe

Chauncey Walden
11-Dec-2006, 19:41
The potential problems of an extremely large image circle are flare and a reduction in contrast. These can be controlled by careful use of a compendium lenshade.

The 305mm G-Claron is the largest size that comes in a Number 1 shutter.

There are actually two versions of the G-Claron. Filter thread is perhaps the easiest way to distinguish between the two. The later version takes a 67mm filter. The earlier, 58mm.

The one on eBay appears to me to be the later type, therefore 67mm.

Just to complete the record, the early ones required one of the Compur 2 shutters (the one for the 165 Angulon will work) and at least one of these, mine, uses 62mm filters.

Doug Dolde
11-Dec-2006, 20:06
Biggest problem is flare...they are not multicoated.

Ernest Purdum
12-Dec-2006, 07:40
Chauncey, thanks for your clarification. The problem with designers and engineers is that they keep on designing and engineering whether needed, or just to confuse us.